ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Smoking meat

I believe it is all to save "space" they could make it easier but our premiums would go way up
i get it, but its not exactly like file storage sizes are the same issue today as they were back when 1-2mb was a big deal.

i get it, but its not exactly like file storage sizes are the same issue today as they were back when 1-2mb was a big deal.
it is just what we have been told. maybe they should just limit the size and if it is over a certain size, you have to do it this dumb ass way. lol

Reactions: Ridge 22
People w

The problem isn't just file size but bandwidth. A lot of local side photos/videos increase transmission stresses/costs. I remember being in forums where people had so many photos and memes in their sigs that threads were hard to get through. The servers would lag, and slow internet capacity could be a problem (especially in dial-up days)

KISS when it comes to brisket: Keep It Simple Stupid. Kosher salt, black pepper, maybe a hint of garlic powder and a hint of cayenne. That's it. Go elaborate with the rubs for pork.
This! I've smoked several hundred briskets in my day. This couldnt be any more true. My brisket rub has been the same for several yrs now. It was given to me by someone who spent tine on the pits at Franklin 10 or so years ago.
50g course black pep
25g kosher salt
25g Lawry's seasoning

Rub a slurry of mustard & olive oil on the meat before applying.

Here's my full recipe for those interested.

Use good oak. If I'm feeling wily, I'll throw some pecan in during the smoke. fruit woods are trash. Save mesquite for a burger or skirt steak.

Low and slow is dumb and pointless. 260-275 is usually where I'm happiest.

When your rub hardens (usually in the internal 160-165 range) wrap in butcher paper.

Cook until anywhere from 192-208. Squeeze the brisket ass to ass to see how it feels. iF it bounces like jello, youre golden. If it's still firm its not done. I usually start checking around 190.

This is where 99% of people F up. They serve the meat too soon. The good bbq places in Texas are holding their meat (thats what she said) for 10+ hours at 140-142. When it's done, I'll open it, add some wagyu tallow, re-wrap and hold in a pre-heated cooler with towels for 4 or 5 hours. If you're temp gets close to 140, throw it in the oven at 150.

Last one I did, I added tallow, re-wrapped, vacuum sealed and held in a sous vide at 140 for 8 hours. It was magic.

This! I've smoked several hundred briskets in my day. This couldnt be any more true. My brisket rub has been the same for several yrs now. It was given to me by someone who spent tine on the pits at Franklin 10 or so years ago.
50g course black pep
25g kosher salt
25g Lawry's seasoning

Use good oak. If I'm feeling wily, I'll throw some pecan in during the smoke. fruit woods are trash. Save mesquite for a burger or skirt steak.

When your rub hardens (usually in the internal 160-165 range) wrap in butcher paper.

Cook until anywhere from 192-208. Squeeze the brisket ass to ass to see how it feels. iF it bounces like jello, youre golden. If it's still firm its not done. I usually start checking around 190.

This is where 99% of people F up. They serve the meat too soon. The good bbq places in Texas are holding their meat (thats what she said) for 10+ hours at 140-142. When it's done, I'll open it, add some wagyu tallow, re-wrap and hold in a pre-heated cooler with towels for 4 or 5 hours. If you're temp gets close to 140, throw it in the oven at 150.

Last one I did, I added tallow, re-wrapped, vacuum sealed and held in a sous vide at 140 for 8 hours. It was magic.
Lawry's season salt is the most underrated spice combo in the world! People only seem to use it on beef but damn it's awesome on any type of meat. Eggs too, do a side by side fried egg (over easy) against Old Bay. But only use the Old Bay spice for a pork roll egg and cheese. Too much combined salt with Lawry's and Taylor Pork Roll.

Lawry's season salt is the most underrated spice combo in the world! People only seem to use it on beef but damn it's awesome on any type of meat. Eggs too, do a side by side fried egg (over easy) against Old Bay. But only use the Old Bay spice for a pork roll egg and cheese. Too much combined salt with Lawry's and Taylor Pork Roll.
Yeah I once made the mistake when gramming out that rub and did equal parts salt, pep & lawrys. That was a throwaway...

• Haha
Reactions: WhiteBus
I eat that shit straight up off the table, lol. My dad started bringing Lawry's salt home from LA in the late 60s when he was out west a lot for work and going to the steakhouse there with his coworkers and I've been addicted since then.

Reactions: WhiteBus
…and how many of you are grilling plant-based alternatives?! 🤭

If I said that too loudly down here…even joking I’d get shot!

I kid I kid…I would not even feed that plant based crap to a Penn state alum or one of the delicate soy boys in Austin…I’m not that cruel

…and how many of you are grilling plant-based alternatives?! 🤭

If I said that too loudly down here…even joking I’d get shot!

I kid I kid…I would not even feed that plant based crap to a Penn state alum or one of the delicate soy boys in Austin…I’m not that cruel
What's plant based alternatives? Sounds gross! 🤣🤣

Correct answer. I'll even bring whatever drinks @Southern Gentleman wants. I have no patience to spend more than 10-15 minutes cooking anything, which is why we eat out so much, lol, but I'll always gladly bring good booze to someone's house to eat what they create.
You need to make a trip to Arkansas! I will gladly participate in conversations and libations with you!

Reactions: RU848789
50g course black pep
25g kosher salt
25g Lawry's seasoning

Excellent advice, I cook mine pretty much the same temps and time. The question I do have is how do you preheat the cooler? The sous vide I get you can set a temp, I usually put mine in a cooler with towels but never thought of preheating it.

Excellent advice, I cook mine pretty much the same temps and time. The question I do have is how do you preheat the cooler? The sous vide I get you can set a temp, I usually put mine in a cooler with towels but never thought of preheating it.
fill it with hot water fer a while.

Reactions: RU Golfer
Fill it 1/4 of the way with the hottest water you can pull off your tap. Close the lid and let it sit for 10 mins or so. I normally swish it around a few times as I wait.

What you're doing is heating the walls of the cooler so that way you dont expend energy from the meat to heat the cooler. It helps hold temp longer. Its essentially the same as preheating a coffee cup or espresso cup.

Reactions: RU Golfer
For breakfast this morning I just had some cold smoked salmon on some avocado toast really 👍.

Smoking the lox with the smoking tube came out very nice and very simple. I cured some salmon the other day then on the grill with the smoking tube last night.

And it costs about 1/3 the price than if you bought it

Reactions: Southern Gentleman
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT