ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Special Report on Heroin in Paterson

I am wholly opposed to the illegal use of controlled narcotics.

Not to mention prostitution.

When I was a kid heroine was usually a drug for Rock Stars, those who led decadent lifestyles or societies lowest common denominator. Today you hear kids from decent families getting hooked on heroine. When I worked in NB during the early 90's there was a counseling clinic on New Street for Heroine users and it broke my heart to see young college age kids coming in and out of that place.

Reactions: cicero grimes
When I was a kid heroine was usually a drug for Rock Stars, those who led decadent lifestyles or societies lowest common denominator. Today you hear kids from decent families getting hooked on heroine. When I worked in NB during the early 90's there was a counseling clinic on New Street for Heroine users and it broke my heart to see young college age kids coming in and out of that place.
because less kids are working imho.....more time to get into trouble

When I was a kid heroine was usually a drug for Rock Stars, those who led decadent lifestyles or societies lowest common denominator. Today you hear kids from decent families getting hooked on heroine.
I take it you are referring to mostly male rock stars and kids.

It's cheaper now. Apparently very cheap.

Reactions: ashokan

Also because Heroine is less expensive than pharmaceutical pills that are supposed to treat illness.

Rotator cuff pain- Here is xanax for four weeks. Very expensive and gives you a serious lack of mental care, capability.

Kid likes that high, gets addicted, but does not have the money for Xanax.

Next up, heroine. Every race, color, creed, financial background.

Reactions: jvgrad02
I'm sure but at the end of the day, it comes down to less kids working, less parental oversight and parents who want to be their kids friends instead of parents. I'm sure the cost certainly helps but at the end of the day, where are the parents?

yes, I'm sure there are some whose parents are always there, involved etc etc but far too many are absent

Also because Heroine is less expensive than pharmaceutical pills that are supposed to treat illness.

Rotator cuff pain- Here is xanax for four weeks. Very expensive and gives you a serious lack of mental care, capability.

Kid likes that high, gets addicted, but does not have the money for Xanax.

Next up, heroine. Every race, color, creed, financial background.
Agree. This is a very common and unfortunate path.

The New Brunswick Counseling Center moved to Suydam st., they mainly use methadone to treat opioid addiction. My wife used to work there, and is still in the mental health profession.

Reactions: higgins3
@dtn108arw doesnt visit the board often anymore but a while back he did a very nice breakdown regarding NJ heroin problems. Including dealers purposely OD'ing people in hopes of increased demand for their stronger heroin.

When I was a kid heroine was usually a drug for Rock Stars, those who led decadent lifestyles or societies lowest common denominator. Today you hear kids from decent families getting hooked on heroine.

Its been the strategy of the Mexican cartels (provide 80% of US heroin) to aim for the suburban populations. Part of that strategy is to lay low and avoid engaging in violence or looking conspicuous (not looking like gangs with tats etc). We have multi-million busts regularly and the raids take place in nice suburban homes with DARE stickers on the cars.

Crazy lax border security means its easy to get heroin in and sell it cheaply. At $5 a bag its cheaper than 6 pack of Corona. Its sad that kids OD and die regularly (33k opiod deaths in 2015) and the usual "Townhalls" are set up to "discuss the growing problem" but the ease with with illegals move drugs in is never brought up.

"The DEA's 2015 report found that Mexican organizations were supplying about 50% of heroin seized in the US in 2012. The 2016 version of the report finds that Mexican organizations had expanded their market share to nearly 80% in 2014, whittling away the shares of South American and Southwest Asian producers."

http://www.businessinsider.com/mexican-control-us-heroin-market-2016-12

Former Border Patrol Officer: U.S. Heroin Epidemic Fueled by Illegal Immigration
http://insider.foxnews.com/2015/09/...-us-heroin-epidemic-fueled-illegal-immigrants

As someone who deals with the impact of this heroin/oxycodone/hydrocodone/opiate epidemic on a daily basis it is absolutely destroying many families in America. We have parents of addicts pleading with us to fill opiate prescriptions for their children so they don't have to go out in the streets and buy heroin.

The sad part is probably half of the addicts started using opiates for legitimate short term pain relief. These drugs frighten me because they are so powerful and addictive. It could start with teenagers getting their wisdom teeth out or a young athlete with a broken arm etc, and now they get their first exposure to the euphoria these things produce. Very sad and a we have a huge problem on our hands.

Reactions: ldwnmas
In the upper class NJ suburbs, it is often the Dr's that are the problem. As well as the parents. A Dr will prescribe painkiller for a hang nail. Many parents in these area are also very happy to let their kids takes these painkillers as well so they can get back onto a playing field as soon as possible. As we know, every parent in Bergen Co thinks their kid is going to get an athletic scholarship.

Reactions: jvgrad02
As someone who deals with the impact of this heroin/oxycodone/hydrocodone/opiate epidemic on a daily basis it is absolutely destroying many families in America. We have parents of addicts pleading with us to fill opiate prescriptions for their children so they don't have to go out in the streets and buy heroin.

The sad part is probably half of the addicts started using opiates for legitimate short term pain relief. These drugs frighten me because they are so powerful and addictive. It could start with teenagers getting their wisdom teeth out or a young athlete with a broken arm etc, and now they get their first exposure to the euphoria these things produce. Very sad and a we have a huge problem on our hands.

I just don't understand this to be honest. I have to ask, where are the parents? I've had all impacted wisdom teeth removed, MCL surgery, rotator cuff surgery and screws in my arm. I know plenty of people in my generation that had alot done as well yet, none of them are drug addicts. None of us ever even thought about it, mostly due to fear of good a$$ kicking by our parents.

I really believe, that much of these issues are the result of absentee parents or parents that just dont' parent

Nothing to do with less kids working. It has to do with the over prescribing of pain killers that kids get hooked too and then do heroin after their prescription runs out.
what????? I'll guarantee you ever addict didn't start as a result of this. There are numerous variables at play here, one of which is most certainly the opportunities we afford our kids and their lack of involvement in employment or other endeavors

Just last year, my youngest stepson was in a horrendous work accident where he almost lost his leg and also developed Compartmental Syndrome. After 3 weeks in the hospital he came home and of course, in this case, correctly prescribed Oxy...I was proud as hell of him when he refused to take a single one and dealt with incredible pain using only Tylenol.
It didn't help his pain much but he was fully aware and afraid of what could happen if he got too used to using something like Oxy. A year later, he is walking but still a lot of pain. Many other people such as him would have still been on the Oxy and then what would have happened if he could no longer get it. It is a very scary thing and it can happen very innocently

Just last year, my youngest stepson was in a horrendous work accident where he almost lost his leg and also developed Compartmental Syndrome. After 3 weeks in the hospital he came home and of course, in this case, correctly prescribed Oxy...I was proud as hell of him when he refused to take a single one and dealt with incredible pain using only Tylenol.
It didn't help his pain much but he was fully aware and afraid of what could happen if he got too used to using something like Oxy. A year later, he is walking but still a lot of pain. Many other people such as him would have still been on the Oxy and then what would have happened if he could no longer get it. It is a very scary thing and it can happen very innocently
good parenting:)

Its been the strategy of the Mexican cartels (provide 80% of US heroin) to aim for the suburban populations. Part of that strategy is to lay low and avoid engaging in violence or looking conspicuous (not looking like gangs with tats etc). We have multi-million busts regularly and the raids take place in nice suburban homes with DARE stickers on the cars.

Crazy lax border security means its easy to get heroin in and sell it cheaply. At $5 a bag its cheaper than 6 pack of Corona. Its sad that kids OD and die regularly (33k opiod deaths in 2015) and the usual "Townhalls" are set up to "discuss the growing problem" but the ease with with illegals move drugs in is never brought up.

"The DEA's 2015 report found that Mexican organizations were supplying about 50% of heroin seized in the US in 2012. The 2016 version of the report finds that Mexican organizations had expanded their market share to nearly 80% in 2014, whittling away the shares of South American and Southwest Asian producers."

http://www.businessinsider.com/mexican-control-us-heroin-market-2016-12

Former Border Patrol Officer: U.S. Heroin Epidemic Fueled by Illegal Immigration
http://insider.foxnews.com/2015/09/...-us-heroin-epidemic-fueled-illegal-immigrants
Let me guess next thing your going to post is that some magical wall is going to fix the problem. As long as the demand is there the problem is going to exist. Price is not going to discourage addicts.

When I was a kid, my mom (a nurse, since retired) forbade me from taking painkillers when I had my wisdom teeth removed.

Now I understand why.

Reactions: SHUSource
what????? I'll guarantee you ever addict didn't start as a result of this. There are numerous variables at play here, one of which is most certainly the opportunities we afford our kids and their lack of involvement in employment or other endeavors
Lol just cus every kid who does heroin didn't start that way doesn't mean your assertion is right either, plenty of kids who work have died of heroin, I knew one personally

Reactions: PSU_Nut
I just don't understand this to be honest. I have to ask, where are the parents? I've had all impacted wisdom teeth removed, MCL surgery, rotator cuff surgery and screws in my arm. I know plenty of people in my generation that had alot done as well yet, none of them are drug addicts. None of us ever even thought about it, mostly due to fear of good a$$ kicking by our parents.

I really believe, that much of these issues are the result of absentee parents or parents that just dont' parent
This type of closed minded thinking is part of the problem. It not just kids of absentee parents who are using this drug or any other drugs. Addicts come from all kinds of backgrounds and family situations. The heroin/opioid epidemic is different because there is no stereo type abuser. It getting so much attention because it not just a hillbilly meth problem or a inner city crack problem. There are users of all ages, races and income levels.

There is no denying that millions of people have used opioids properly and have not had any issues. The problem is more common in patients who from chronic pain, not one time injury or surgery. At some point the use becomes more to curb the side effects of with draw then to treat the pain. The other problem is doctors were often prescribing way too much. People were using it properly and then leave the remaining pills in the medicine cabinet and forget about it. Then kids being kids find them and use them to get high. It the modern version of breaking into mom and dad liquor cabinet. Then there are the ones who just try to get high for the same reasons people choose to try every other drug.

Pills (opiates like oxy) are easy to take and easy to hide. By the time parents realize their kids have a problem it's progressed beyond just taking pills.

Reactions: PSU_Nut
This type of closed minded thinking is part of the problem. It not just kids of absentee parents who are using this drug or any other drugs. Addicts come from all kinds of backgrounds and family situations. The heroin/opioid epidemic is different because there is no stereo type abuser. It getting so much attention because it not just a hillbilly meth problem or a inner city crack problem. There are users of all ages, races and income levels.

There is no denying that millions of people have used opioids properly and have not had any issues. The problem is more common in patients who from chronic pain, not one time injury or surgery. At some point the use becomes more to curb the side effects of with draw then to treat the pain. The other problem is doctors were often prescribing way too much. People were using it properly and then leave the remaining pills in the medicine cabinet and forget about it. Then kids being kids find them and use them to get high. It the modern version of breaking into mom and dad liquor cabinet. Then there are the ones who just try to get high for the same reasons people choose to try every other drug.

closed minded? you have no idea who I am or what my experience with this stuff indirectly is

once again, where are the parents? Way to many excuses, skirting responsibility, or laying of blame elsewhere. Where are the parents????

the breakdown of usage is not predominantly from those who suffer from chronic pain. At least get your facts straight

This has to be one of the most ignorant statements I ever have seen regarding drug use. That just means they have more money to buy drugs. Society needs to get past the archaic thinking like this if you want to stop the problem.

Reactions: Cheesesteak Vegas
Pills (opiates like oxy) are easy to take and easy to hide. By the time parents realize their kids have a problem it's progressed beyond just taking pills.
no doubt it's easy to hide but again, are the parents watching and keeping an eye on the usage from the get go? That's if the kid was even prescribed them but the figures do not bear this out, a majority are not from prescriptions to users

This has to be one of the most ignorant statements I ever have seen regarding drug use. That just means they have more money to buy drugs. Society needs to get past the archaic thinking like this if you want to stop the problem.
not at all and pretty clear you never dealt with this on a personal level instead, you sit behind a screen and read stuff. you couldn't even get your facts straight in an earlier post. One of the dumbest comments I've seen, are you actually suggesting that kids who work will do more drugs because they are earning money? Holy fk, you realize that kids on this $hit lose all sense of the ties that bind them to society such as a stable job?

parental supervision
kids lacking endeavors that keep them occupied ie sports, work, etc
cost
ease of access

Working security for Tennessee Williams and Jim Carroll of Alice in Chains yrs ago it was even then sad but in my experience crack is the worse debilitating drug I've seen in our culture recently....

Reactions: miket007
no doubt it's easy to hide but again, are the parents watching and keeping an eye on the usage from the get go? That's if the kid was even prescribed them but the figures do not bear this out, a majority are not from prescriptions to users
And what if the parents are using themselves? There's no easy answer to this.

closed minded? you have no idea who I am or what my experience with this stuff indirectly is

once again, where are the parents? Way to many excuses, skirting responsibility, or laying of blame elsewhere. Where are the parents????

the breakdown of usage is not predominantly from those who suffer from chronic pain. At least get your facts straight
I never said usage is predominately those from chronic pain. My point is that when used properly opioids use for things like wisdom teeth removal rarely leads to addiction. Addiction from one own prescription is more common with chronic pain.

The parents are there. Most do not recognize the signs until it is too late. Also it not just teens getting addicted and starting to use heroin. How do you explain a 50 year old doctor, high school principal or suburban housewife?

Last edited:
Unless as a parent you are going to follow them around 24/7 or test them weekly you likely will have no clue.

The pharmaceutical industry deserves more blame than anything else discussed in this thread.

Last year there were more deaths from prescription opiates than heroin. We don't have a heroin problem. We have a societal problem.

And what if the parents are using themselves? There's no easy answer to this.

There is an easy answer take away pharmaceutical profits from prescription opiates.

When more overdoses happen from prescription opiates than heroin we need to go after the manufacturer. They are legal cartels who use the goverment to be there muscle. Punish all the users of prescription meds and no one up through chain gets any blame.

Reactions: redking
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT