ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Stokes State Forest

Steveriknight

Junior
Sep 29, 2007
Hey fellas. Anyone ever camped out at Stokes State Forest?

I rented a cabin for the week at Stokes, starting today. Trying to figure out stuff to do. Gonna be me, my girlfriend, and my two little boys aged 6 and 9.

So far, was planning a hike at Tillman's Ravine. A side trip to Bushkill Falls. A little fishing on Lake Ocquittunk... and just exploring the area. But that's probably not enough planned, so if anyone's been there and has some cool recommendations I'd appreciate it.

We're completely disconnecting. Me from work/emails and them from video games and tv (for the first time in their life I think). Want to decompress, but don't want them getting bored and complaining either.

-Steve

Friday The 13Th Horror GIF by filmeditor

Just tell them it's where the Jersey Devil summers.👿

If you have the fishing gear & a license definitely some nice lakes in that area , kids will love it .

I rented a cabin for the week at Stokes, starting today. Trying to figure out stuff to do. Gonna be me, my girlfriend, and my two little boys aged 6 and 9.

So far, was planning a hike at Tillman's Ravine. A side trip to Bushkill Falls. A little fishing on Lake Ocquittunk... and just exploring the area. But that's probably not enough planned, so if anyone's been there and has some cool recommendations I'd appreciate it.

We're completely disconnecting. Me from work/emails and them from video games and tv (for the first time in their life I think). Want to decompress, but don't want them getting bored and complaining either.

-Steve
I've camped there (used to be in Sussex County a lot). I think you have enough planned already. Sounds like a great time...

I recommend waiting until all the teachers are asleep and sneaking out of the cabin for an unsupervised night adventure. Don't forget to knock on the window of the gals' cabin on the way out.

I did a Labor Day weekend trip to Stokes about 35 years ago with a couple friends.

Mostly we drank.

That's pretty much all I remember.

Although I do like Wharton better.

-Steve
Frost Elementary School annual 6th grade trip! We all stayed in a building with 2 wings.....girls on one side, boys on the other. Quite a while ago, so I don't remember all the details.

Last time I was camping at Stokes was 1989. I took my GF there for a camping weekend because she told me she liked camping. We went a few times a year, sometimes alone and sometimes with a group of friends. That weekend I asked her to marry me and after we got married she admitted she didn’t like camping at all and only went because I liked it. Last time she ever slept in a tent or went camping with me. Still married

Love Stokes by the way it’s a great spot, enjoy!

Went there as a wee lad of 12 on a school trip for a week in 6th grade as was the tradition in my hometown. Not sure if they still do it tho.

Don’t remember a lot of details besides the forced school activities (square dancing, maybe some other kind of dance) but believe they took us to Tillman’s ravine and Sunrise Mountain.

Reactions: hankee18
Went there as a wee lad of 12 on a school trip for a week in 6th grade as was the tradition in my hometown. Not sure if they still do it tho.

Don’t remember a lot of details besides the forced school activities (square dancing, maybe some other kind of dance) but believe they took us to Tillman’s ravine and Sunrise Mountain.
What town? We had the same 6th grade tradition (East Brunswick).

First time I did a climbing wall, back before they were everywhere.

Think there was a confidence/ropes course, too.

Reactions: MikeR0102
Visit nearby Gyp's Tavern for local color and lakeside beer and burgers. Babe Ruth used to hang out there while hunting in the area. Also, the Appalachian Trail access is very close, so maybe a short day hike would be "fun"?

South Brunswick schools did that trip every year for 5th or 6th graders I believe.

Reactions: MikeR0102

Same. It was a three-day school trip for all 6th graders in Vernon despite the fact we pretty much grew up in the woods too

Square dancing, mess hall food. I remember archery, some kind of scavenger hunt involving compasses. We even took a hike in the woods and these guys that ran the place made some homemade root tea that was piping hot and tasted like dirt

First taste of being an adult and away from your parents

Same. It was a three-day school trip for all 6th graders in Vernon despite the fact we pretty much grew up in the woods too

Square dancing, mess hall food. I remember archery, some kind of scavenger hunt involving compasses. We even took a hike in the woods and these guys that ran the place made some homemade root tea that was piping hot and tasted like dirt

First taste of being an adult and away from your parents
+1
Lots of memories coming back. You are right, it was a taste of adulthood. Elementary schools in EB were K-6 at the time. So, this was a right of passage experience in late spring of 6th grade just before "graduating" elementary school and heading to JHS/middle school.

Reactions: hankee18

-Steve

You wont regret the hike

9.4 miles away is High Point.. the highest point in NJ... get up there very early or near sunset for the "golden hour".. get to teh top of the obelisk and see 3 states.. on a clear day even manhattan (52 miles away).. so if it is a big cool and clear.. might be worth a trip

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT