ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Tennessee says you have to pay (more) for us to play

Thoughts?
Sounds like every other sport.
At least the increase is to pay players.

What were prior ticket increases for?
To pay AD staff more? To pay for other random AD expense.
It's not to pay for facilities (the AD asks for those donations separately.

I'd rather it go to the guys on the field at least.

Reactions: Plum Street
Wait, NIL and revenue sharing already exist. Now universities want to force fans to kick in more $$??? This would be on top of the already forced seat fees and doubling of the parking money to park in the lots? Just another reason to drive more fans away...

Wait, NIL and revenue sharing already exist. Now universities want to force fans to kick in more $$??? This would be on top of the already forced seat fees and doubling of the parking money to park in the lots? Just another reason to drive more fans away...
Give me a competitive team that wins more than they lose every year and I'd gladly pay 10% more. Give me Ash year's and you're sh*t out of luck.

Give me a competitive team that wins more than they lose every year and I'd gladly pay 10% more. Give me Ash year's and you're sh*t out of luck.
Fair enough. When does it end for you? After the blue bloods massively out raise the rest and continue to buy the best players, where do you stop and throw in the towel as RU tries to gather more money? If Rutgers were to go to 20%? Triple last years parking donations? Mandatory $1,000 (or more) donation towards a field house? I'm curious.

I am a season ticket holder at Tennesse (and Rutgers). Was at the game Saturday and Tennessee put on an amazing game day experience with 102k showing up for Kent State and tons of people were on campus 5 hours before the game. It is a sight to see. Meanwhile, just about every single sport has been doing very well from hoops to women’s soccer to baseball to golf etc. They are moving quickly as the landscape changes.

Fair enough. When does it end for you? After the blue bloods massively out raise the rest and continue to buy the best players, where do you stop and throw in the towel as RU tries to gather more money? If Rutgers were to go to 20%? Triple last years parking donations? Mandatory $1,000 (or more) donation towards a field house? I'm curious.
Don't know, will only know when I've reached that point. Right now, it's just play money, on a screen, in a conversation not in real life. I can tell you, in my group, no one blinked an eye at the parking increase, nor would they blink at a 10% increase in ticket prices. If we're winning that breaking point I'm sure would be higher. But eventually I would reach that point in some of your scenarios.

I’ve posted here that FSU’s NIL budget is 12M this year. It’s not working for them this year.

It’s no different than pro sports and those teams have a lot more money and resources and still get things wrong.

Reactions: LETSGORU91
I’d happily pay 10% more to fund our NIL maybe that’s what they are doing with the water bottles.
As a season ticket holder, I support such an increase at Rutgers. Now, having said that, I have never booed a Rutgers athlete for poor performance under the theory that they are student athletes putting their bodies on the line for our entertainment. However, now that it is understood that they are indeed professionals, I no longer feel restricted from expressing my displeasure when they fail to execute.

Last edited:
I’m sure it’s one of the first things they teach in Psychology 101, but why the F do people care so much about sports that they are willing to pay “talent fees” just to try and build a winning football team? From an entertainment perspective I get it (sort of). Beautiful Saturday…tailgate…BBQ…friends and family fun. But I can do that win or lose without having to pay a bunch of mercenaries pretending to be students. College sports is headed down a perilous path as many college programs/teams will disappear and the survivors will just be minor league teams attached to a college. These players are not students. They are simply college employees paid by the fans.

Reactions: LETSGORU91
And what does this mean re: Title IX? Does 50% of any increase have to go to women sports? Or how about men playing women sports?

So much will have to be worked out.

If I was faced with this I'd be seriously considering how that money could go towards building a serious man cave with a big-ass TV in it.

I am a season ticket holder at Tennesse (and Rutgers). Was at the game Saturday and Tennessee put on an amazing game day experience with 102k showing up for Kent State and tons of people were on campus 5 hours before the game. It is a sight to see. Meanwhile, just about every single sport has been doing very well from hoops to women’s soccer to baseball to golf etc. They are moving quickly as the landscape changes.
Yeah in Knoxville they also have sons and daughters of the confederacy groups flying confederate flags and raising money - in confederate soldier uniforms- in downtown Knoxville in their community square... just sayin'... prob nice what you saw but would be so much better without that nonsense, don't you think???

If we have a good team that can compete with OSU, Mich and PSU, people will be happy to pay up.
It will be interesting to see if that would be true and how it would play out. Rutgers has historically been very poor in regards to overall fan support and open wallets.

So
Yeah in Knoxville they also have sons and daughters of the confederacy groups flying confederate flags and raising money - in confederate soldier uniforms- in downtown Knoxville in their community square... just sayin'... prob nice what you saw but would be so much better without that nonsense, don't you think???
Sorry didn’t see any of that. You should spend some time there. The people are great and the city is very nice. I saw many thousands of people and not a single one as you described. Not this weekend and not any other time I’ve been there.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT