ADVERTISEMENT

OT: The Knicks

This is almost as bad as the poster on this board who said Rutgers should think about moving on from Pikiell a few years ago because he reached his ceiling..... 😂 😂

Last edited:
I just hope this is a turning point for them. I think it can be. Either way, I think it’s clear that Jalen Brunson was a great signing and we can build around him. This postseason is already giving us good info for a future blueprint. And it ain’t over yet!

They need to look for opportunities to improve the team further versus running it back again with the same group. Yes they had a good year, but the series against the Heat was disappointing. Brunson was great but they just don't have enough guys who can consistently hit shots.

Reactions: RUJMM78
Stephen A goes off on Barrett and Randle

They should have cut him off just Brutal

Grimes is still young but offensively wasn't ready for that stage or playoff defense. Needed his shooting with Quickly out, Obi too inconsistent and Randle disappearing, maybe playing injured.

Hate to say it but Hart on the floor when need scoring doesn't help anything. Cple times they swung it and he ended up with the ball and he either didn't want to shoot or missed.

Reactions: MiloTalon13
Grimes is still young but offensively wasn't ready for that stage or playoff defense. Needed his shooting with Quickly out, Obi too inconsistent and Randle disappearing, maybe playing injured.

Hate to say it but Hart on the floor when need scoring doesn't help anything. Cple times they swung it and he ended up with the ball and he either didn't want to shoot or missed.
Hesitating on open corner three then getting nothing out of the possession killed the Knicks
Gotta take open corner threes

One thing about Obi, he is not shy about taking a shot if open. Hart supposedly was deferring in Portland before coming to the Knick but had seemed to regain his confidence after the trade. Then regressed during this round. He should be valued as a rotation piece but not more than that. Same with IQ and Obi. I was really hoping Grimes would flourish. Has a nice looking jump shot but he needs to do better than 1-6.

Randle is the guy they need to make a decision on. Does he fit with RJ? Do you look to trade him with his value having been restored after a good season or do you hope he has a higher post season ceiling than he has shown?

If the Knicks decide to keep Randle I would bet they try and move Barrett.

I have not yet figured out for sure whether they are duplicative or complementary pieces. Randle is bigger and his offensive game is more developed. He is a ball dominant ISO heavy big who turns it over way too much for me.

RJ is improving but still inconsistent offensively. RJ is younger with perhaps more upside and seems to have a better attitude. Neither is great defensively although Randle is a stronger rebounder and maybe a better athlete.

I think Brunson can play with either but all three are left handed and like to operate in the paint.

Hesitating on open corner three then getting nothing out of the possession killed the Knicks
Gotta take open corner threes
It’s a shame Fournier is such a defensive liability because he could have been useful in those spots

Can't really move Barrett until July. His extension hasn't even started yet so the money would have to been lopsided. Don't remember the specifics but its a clause so teams can't artificially sign a guy to a high contract - just to trade him.

Also, the optics would be terrible. It was a big deal. Barrett is their only 1st round pick to sign an extension in like 20 years.

As a Nets fan I hate the Knicks, but this sucks.
With (injured) OG likely wanting a huge contract this off season, plus iHart and Bog as FAs going to be tough decisions for the front office.

Sucks, but I'm not surprised. Wasn't hearing anything about him doing any basketball-type activities like you did with Mitchell Robinson when he was rehabbing. I really felt if they could've stayed healthy or at least got healthy that they could do something special.

He probably still wanted to see if he could come back. Even if he had the surgery earlier he was done for the year and having it now likely doesn't impact his return in time for next season.

They've thought he'd need surgery pretty much the entire time. No idea why they didn't do it right away.

Because they wanted to see if he could return this season and a month or two delay in surgery doesn't mpact the timetable for his return next season.

Because they wanted to see if he could return this season and a month or two delay in surgery doesn't mpact the timetable for his return next season.
Yeah, when surgery is needed, it rarely gets well enough to make it worth putting off. They've known he wasn't coming back.

With (injured) OG likely wanting a huge contract this off season, plus iHart and Bog as FAs going to be tough decisions for the front office.

All Front Offices have work to do in the off season - but I don't see anything tougher for the Knicks at least IMO. OG will have to be signed considering they traded for him. Bogs is a partial guarantee for next season - they will have to decide by end of June to pick up the entire contract (~$20M) - I think they will let him go. iHart - they will likely try to bring him back. But if the cost greatly exceeds $15M per season, they may have to move on. This all will take them over the cap but under the tax apron. Plus 2 FRP's to work with this offseason.

Nets have some work to do as well. Decision on coach and currently no picks this offseason. Claxton will have to get paid and Cam Thomas is extension eligible.

Reactions: NickRU714
All Front Offices have work to do in the off season - but I don't see anything tougher for the Knicks at least IMO. OG will have to be signed considering they traded for him. Bogs is a partial guarantee for next season - they will have to decide by end of June to pick up the entire contract (~$20M) - I think they will let him go. iHart - they will likely try to bring him back. But if the cost greatly exceeds $15M per season, they may have to move on. This all will take them over the cap but under the tax apron. Plus 2 FRP's to work with this offseason.

Nets have some work to do as well. Decision on coach and currently no picks this offseason. Claxton will have to get paid and Cam Thomas is extension eligible.

Compared to the Nets, Pompeii had "some work" to do.

This Is Fine GIF

OG's agent is the son of the Knicks' president Leon Rose.

Reports are IHart will command $15 million, but the Knicks can afford that since they are under paying everyone. No one makes more than $28 million on the team. No one is a max player

Bog has another year left on his contract. The reason the Knicks were interested in him is he's a perfect trade bait (expiring contract) which every teams rebuilding wants.

The one asset the Knicks have is 8 first round picks over the next 3 drafts.

Reactions: NickRU714

How will they be over the salary cap? If Bog and Burke come off that $32 million combined. You still have time (2 years) before you have to make a decision on to max Brunson or Randle as neither cost much now. Brunson is at $28 million and Randle is $26 million. The next highest paid player is OG at $18.5 million
Donte: $12 million
Josh Hart: $12.5 million
McBride: $2 million
Robinson: $15 million
Achiuwa: $4 million

The biggest issue with the Knicks is the coaching. Thibs is a great defensive coach, but lacks imagination on offense. Thibs is robotic with he rotation and he's stubborn to a fault with making adjustment during a game. Thibs is looking for a big payday for the success of the Knicks, but he'll never be the coach to get them over the hump.

How will they be over the salary cap? If Bog and Burke come off that $32 million combined. You still have time (2 years) before you have to make a decision on to max Brunson or Randle as neither cost much now. Brunson is at $28 million and Randle is $26 million. The next highest paid player is OG at $18.5 million
Donte: $12 million
Josh Hart: $12.5 million
McBride: $2 million
Robinson: $15 million
Achiuwa: $4 million

The biggest issue with the Knicks is the coaching. Thibs is a great defensive coach, but lacks imagination on offense. Thibs is robotic with he rotation and he's stubborn to a fault with making adjustment during a game. Thibs is looking for a big payday for the success of the Knicks, but he'll never be the coach to get them over the hump.

Cap next season is $141M

You do not seem to be lookong at next season's salary figures:

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/new-york-knicks/cap/

Randle - $30 (with reached incentive)
JB - $25
Mitch - $15.7
JHart - $18.1
Donte - $11.5
Miles - $4.7
IHart - $15 (UFA resigning)
OG - $30+ (he is on a player option which he will likely reject to become a free agent)

Also does not include draft picks for next season, have to decide about Precious Achiewa and Jericho Simms.

Cap next season is $141M

You do not seem to be lookong at next season's salary figures:

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/new-york-knicks/cap/

Randle - $30 (with reached incentive)
JB - $25
Mitch - $15.7
JHart - $18.1
Donte - $11.5
Miles - $4.7
IHart - $15 (UFA resigning)
OG - $30+ (he is on a player option which he will likely reject to become a free agent)

Also have to decide about Precious Achiewa and Jericho Simms.
You have the Bird rule with certain guys ( OG & IHart), so going over isn't a problem. The Knicks have shown paying the penalty isn't an issue like it is for other teams

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT