ADVERTISEMENT

OT -The Masters starts tomorrow. Who you got?

WhiteBus

Hall of Famer
Oct 4, 2011
So the rounds that count actually start Thursday but the Par 3 contest is a thing of beauty and great tradition. Will be televised again.
As far the the tournament. I can't wait. My favorite televised event. No Tiger, no problem. Enough young guys to make it special and a few older guys like Mickelson who have been playing well of late.
Was a big fan of Jordan Speith last year. Would love to see him win back to back. However Day, Rory and others are playing great enough to win.
Who you got? Give me your top 5.

I have the following:

1. Jason Day
2. Speith
3. Russell Knox - my buddies son so I have to throw him in.
4. Reed
5. Dustin Johnson

Young bloods!!!!

Reactions: Rutgers8086
2016 Masters Odds:
Jason Day 13/2
Rory McIlroy 8/1
Jordan Spieth 17/2
Adam Scott 12/1
Bubba Watson 12/1
Dustin Johnson 15/1
Phil Mickelson 15/1
Rickie Fowler 15/1
Henrik Stenson 25/1
Justin Rose 25/1
Louis Oosthuizen 28/1
Charl Schwartzel 35/1
Hideki Matsuyama 45/1
Patrick Reed 45/1
Brandt Snedeker 50/1
Danny Willett 50/1
Sergio Garcia 50/1
Zach Johnson 50/1
Brooks Koepka 65/1
Jimmy Walker 65/1
Marc Leishman 65/1
Matt Kuchar 65/1
Paul Casey 65/1
Branden Grace 85/1
Kevin Kisner 85/1
Rafael Cabrera Bello 90/1
Bill Haas 110/1
Jason Dufner 110/1
Justin Thomas 110/1
Ryan Moore 110/1
Charley Hoffman 125/1
Harris English 130/1
Ian Poulter 130/1
JB Holmes 130/1
Kevin Na 130/1
Andy Sullivan 160/1
Angel Cabrera 160/1
Billy Horschel 160/1
Byeong-Hun An 160/1
Chris Kirk 160/1
Danny Lee 160/1
Lee Westwood 160/1
Martin Kaymer 160/1
Shane Lowry 160/1
Bernd Wiesberger 200/1
Bryson DeChambeau 200/1
Daniel Berger 200/1
David Lingmerth 200/1
Emiliano Grillo 200/1
Graeme McDowell 200/1
Hunter Mahan 200/1
Jamie Donaldson 200/1
Keegan Bradley 200/1
Kevin Streelman 200/1
Russell Knox 200/1
Victor Dubuisson 200/1
Webb Simpson 200/1
Ernie Els 225/1
Anirban Lahiri 250/1
Chris Wood 250/1
Matthew Fitzpatrick 250/1
Scott Piercy 250/1
Smylie Kaufman 250/1
Cameron Smith 300/1
Jim Herman 300/1
Kiradech Aphibarnrat 300/1
Robert Streb 300/1
Thongchai Jaidee 300/1
Troy Merritt 300/1
Vaughn Taylor 300/1
Bernhard Langer 500/1
Davis Love III 500/1
Fabian Gomez 500/1
Soren Kjeldsen 500/1
Steven Bowditch 500/1
Vijay Singh 500/1
Darren Clarke 1000/1
Jin Cheng 1000/1
Trevor Immelman 1000/1
Derek Bard 2000/1
Mike Weir 2000/1
Romain Langasque 2000/1
Mark OMeara 2500/1
Paul Chaplet 2500/1
Sammy Schmitz 2500/1
Tom Watson 2500/1
Ian Woosnam 5000/1
Sandy Lyle 5000/1
Larry Mize 9000/1

I'll post my top 5 tomorrow. But I can not see anyone outside the 15/1 mark winning.
I do look forward to what the Masters brings every year.

Just got back from Augusta for a practice round. Very interesting place if you've never been - traditional and nostalgic. They are the experts at running big events and do not overcharge for anything. Parking free, lunch for 4 was $17 total, souvenirs crowded but orderly. Course is so much hillier than it looks on TV and the grass on fairways, rough, common areas is nicest grass I've ever seen (like turf).

Saw many top players practice, including Rory, Day, Fowler, Scott, Kuchar, even Tom Watson. Rory had hole in one and looked sharp - so did Fowler. One dark horse that looked sharp was Vijay - I know he's long in the tooth but his irons were very sharp. I'll say Rory, Fowler and Louis O.

Reactions: RU85inFla
I just read the wind should be 15-20 mph for the first 3 days, should be a factor.

I just wish there was more TV coverage, although now I'm not tempted to take off work, lol.

Just got back from Augusta for a practice round. Very interesting place if you've never been - traditional and nostalgic. They are the experts at running big events and do not overcharge for anything. Parking free, lunch for 4 was $17 total, souvenirs crowded but orderly. Course is so much hillier than it looks on TV and the grass on fairways, rough, common areas is nicest grass I've ever seen (like turf).

Saw many top players practice, including Rory, Day, Fowler, Scott, Kuchar, even Tom Watson. Rory had hole in one and looked sharp - so did Fowler. One dark horse that looked sharp was Vijay - I know he's long in the tooth but his irons were very sharp. I'll say Rory, Fowler and Louis O.
Incredibly jealous. Glad you saw golf heaven

I just read the wind should be 15-20 mph for the first 3 days, should be a factor.

I just wish there was more TV coverage, although now I'm not tempted to take off work, lol.
Lol. I have to work tomorrow. A day I never work so I can be off Saturday and Sunday afternoon. Not an easy thing to do managing 2 beer stores on a weekend. I still will open both stores but out by 2pm both days

Awesome. I'll be there Thursday. I already know you can't have a cell phone or you're booted. Looking forward to golf heaven and $3 beers!

My top five (no real surprise here) are Day, Scott, Watson, McIlroy, Spieth, in that order. Watch out for Danny Willett also.

Awesome. I'll be there Thursday. I already know you can't have a cell phone or you're booted. Looking forward to golf heaven and $3 beers!
Cameras only allowed on practice rounds and cell phones never allowed (go through metal detector). Have to get Pimento Cheese sandwich for $1.50, peanut caramel cluster and a sweet tea. (All for about $4-$5). People park their folding chairs around greens, tees and fairways and walk away from chairs for long stretches - no one's allowed to move the chairs. One other note - there over 50,000 people there yesterday and I never had to wait to use the bathroom and there are no porta-johns. People in there also know how to make everything move along.

Last edited:
Reactions: RUchip and WhiteBus
I am SOOOOO Jealous of folks who have been or are going this week.

I set up Working From Home for Thurs and Fri to watch coverage.

I'm pulling for Speith - I've got a bit of a man crush on him right now. No matter who wins there's a bunch of great young golfers playing right now. Like a new Golden Age almost.

Day...Bubba....Phil. I'm actually counting on Phil for the PGA when it returns to Baltusrol in July. He won it there in 2005.

I'm in a Masters draft with a few friends. The 3 players I took were Henrik Stenson in round 1, Bubba Watson in 2, and Adam Scott in 3. Bubba is recovering from an apparent case of food poisoning but should be ok by tomorrow.

I also had a friend's son in Vegas put down a $20 futures bet a few weeks ago on Phil at 15-1.

Weather may be a determining factor this week. According to the Golf Channel players who have late Thursday, early Friday tee times could be at a large disadvantage

It is supposed to be very windy which changes the dynamic quite a bit. Augusta is known as a high ball hitters paradise. That won't hold true if it is as windy as they are saying. Should be an interesting first few days.

My top 5 is different because of the wind. I removed Rory and Bubba. I hope they can overcome the winds, especially Bubba who hits such a high ball on all his shots.

Speith and Phil are two of my favorites. Day, Folwer and Scott all have the game and are playing well.

Outside my top 5 is my longshot and one of the players I love watching the most when he is on his game. El Plato, Angel Cabrera.

Par 3 contest on shortly. Enjoy.

My top 5 is different because of the wind. I removed Rory and Bubba. I hope they can overcome the winds, especially Bubba who hits such a high ball on all his shots.

Speith and Phil are two of my favorites. Day, Folwer and Scott all have the game and are playing well.

Outside my top 5 is my longshot and one of the players I love watching the most when he is on his game. El Plato, Angel Cabrera.

Par 3 contest on shortly. Enjoy.

Did that old hippie cut off his horrible pony tail yet?

Reactions: RUJohnny99

That's Spain's Miguel Jimenez. Angel Cabrera is from Argentina. Won the Masters in 2009 and lost the playoff to Adam Scott in 2013.

I'm guessing the Cabrera pick is because of his length. Big hitter.

That's Miguel Angel Jimenez....and no he still has it.
th

Angel Cabrera is this man.

th

Both big cigar smokers so I admire them both. [winking]

Tom Watson is filling in for Arnold Palmer for the Par 3 contest. Palmer stills plans on being on the first tee tomorrow.

Tom Watson is filling in for Arnold Palmer for the Par 3 contest. Palmer stills plans on being on the first tee tomorrow.

Along with the Mick and Johnny U, the heros of my youth. Sad not to see him there today. I heard he's not going to tee off tomorrow, just make an appearance.

Very funny, I was also there Monday also and saw the Rory hole in one live. What a tremendous place. I can't even go into all the detail but if you love golf, or even if you don't, it's an unreal thing to see in person. I actually can't wait to watch the tourney this weekend after seeing the course in person on Monday

Reactions: Beancounter88
Gary Player, if not mistaken, still does hundreds of situps and pushups daily even though 80 yrs old

Was so far ahead of his time with workouts and proper nutrition.

Between 1958 and 1975, 11 of the 18 Masters were won by the Big 3 of Palmer(4), Nicklaus(5), and Player(2) including 7 years in a row from 1960-66.

Phil has been my favorite for years and he's getting to the twilight of his career, so would love to see him win a 4th green jacket - he's been playing pretty well.

After Phil, I'll go with Spieth (hard to think he won't be there), Day (en fuego), Adam Scott, and Henrik Stenson. My dark horse pick is Matt Kuchar.

Will be parked in front of the TV all afternoon on both Saturday and Sunday - nothing like the back nine at Augusta on Sunday, with the championship in the balance.

If you haven't seen it, the Golf Channel just debuted an awesome documentary, entitled, "86" which is all about Jack's famous charge on the back 9 (mostly) to win the '86 Masters at the age of 46, after he'd been written off by most of the experts.

If you haven't seen it, the Golf Channel just debuted an awesome documentary, entitled, "86" which is all about Jack's famous charge on the back 9 (mostly) to win the '86 Masters at the age of 46, after he'd been written off by most of the experts.
Happened on my 22nd birthday.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT