ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Who's done a family tree?

ouchmyknee

All Conference
Gold Member
Nov 10, 2006
Hoboken, NJ
When COVID hit and we were all quarantined, I started doing some research on my family tree. I didn't know much about my family past my grandparents and thought it would be neat to learn a little more about where I came from and who my ancestors were. I've been working on this for a long time and have probably hit a dead end finally, so I thought it'd be neat to ask the board if anyone else has created one for themselves and found anything interesting?

I was able to trace my lineage on my dad's mother's side all the way back to 990 AD. This was the result of absolute insane luck being that she came from a long line of English nobility with pretty extensive records. It actually became pretty easy to trace back on her side. I learned that my ancestry contains several members of parliament going back hundreds of years. One of my XXXX-grandfathers was close to the king and was the keeper of the crown jewels. A few of my other direct ancestors were born in lived in Castle Compton in Devon. Along that same line were a few "governors" of Devon and close friends of the kings and queens.

The most interesting direct descendant was Sir Humphrey Gilbert, an important explorer in the 16th century who was originally tasked with setting up a colony in the new world for the crown. His half-brothers were Walter Raleigh and Richard Grenville.

One other interesting thing I learned was that my ancestors on my mother's side emigrated from Corsica to Puerto Rico and brought the coffee trade with them, which I thought was pretty neat. My mother is Puerto Rican and my Grandmother on her side always used to claim she was French (which I thought was a lie). Turns out she was kind of correct (depending on how you classify Corsica).

Anyone have any cool stories from their trees?

Reactions: Rutgers Chris
When COVID hit and we were all quarantined, I started doing some research on my family tree. I didn't know much about my family past my grandparents and thought it would be neat to learn a little more about where I came from and who my ancestors were. I've been working on this for a long time and have probably hit a dead end finally, so I thought it'd be neat to ask the board if anyone else has created one for themselves and found anything interesting?

I was able to trace my lineage on my dad's mother's side all the way back to 990 AD. This was the result of absolute insane luck being that she came from a long line of English nobility with pretty extensive records. It actually became pretty easy to trace back on her side. I learned that my ancestry contains several members of parliament going back hundreds of years. One of my XXXX-grandfathers was close to the king and was the keeper of the crown jewels. A few of my other direct ancestors were born in lived in Castle Compton in Devon. Along that same line were a few "governors" of Devon and close friends of the kings and queens.

The most interesting direct descendant was Sir Humphrey Gilbert, an important explorer in the 16th century who was originally tasked with setting up a colony in the new world for the crown. His half-brothers were Walter Raleigh and Richard Grenville.

One other interesting thing I learned was that my ancestors on my mother's side emigrated from Corsica to Puerto Rico and brought the coffee trade with them, which I thought was pretty neat. My mother is Puerto Rican and my Grandmother on her side always used to claim she was French (which I thought was a lie). Turns out she was kind of correct (depending on how you classify Corsica).

Anyone have any cool stories from their trees?
My brother did the same during Covid. He was able to trace our mothers family back to Saint Balthid in the 600’s.

I’ve heard of more than a few people finding out some pretty significant surprises in their families in terms of parents not being their parents.

I've been working on mine on-and-off since 2014.

Several interesting tidbits throughout, but the one I'm most focused on right now is a connection back to a man named Mordecai Roberts, who as a pacifist Quaker during the American Revolution who served as a messenger for George Washington.

Found this excerpt about him in a history book about Pike County PA from the late 19th century:
"Although he was a Quaker, General Washington so far conquered his prejudices as to make him a messenger to carry dispatches to different posts. In the performance of this duty he sometimes rode forty-eight hours without leaving his saddle. He had a horse shot from under him at one time and was severely wounded by a bayonet thrust at another time. His services were so valuable to the Americans that the British offered a reward for his head, but he lived to be one of the first settlers in Lackawaxen township after the war."

I started one and was fortunate that other people had already done extensive work tracking back quite far in England. I simply connected to a recent relative and then enjoyed the benefit of all the others' work. Some of what I discovered seemed questionable like being related to many historical figures like kings. However, after realizing how many kids they all had and how many generations have passed, there must be millions with the same connections. I can track back to Alfred the Great and farther. However, some lines cannot be traced beyond great-great-grandparents. I had one relative that came over in the Mayflower (was a servant, damn it). Others arrived in the 1600s and one received land from the King's proprietors that was in the family until just a few years ago. That was 100 acres in what is now Denville. Lots of interesting information.

Reactions: megadrone
Never done one but my family is mostly Hispanic and super loud…especially the women. Lots of drinkers…must be the proud Spanish background. 😜

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT