ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Why are broadcasters still doing games remotely?

knight82

All American
Gold Member
Nov 4, 2002
Many times recently I have watched a baseball game where the play by play guy had no idea what just happened because he wasn't in the ballpark and the camera did not show what went on. If they are watching the game on TV just like us, what insights can they give us? It's beyond ridiculous at this point. Get them back onsite

Many times recently I have watched a baseball game where the play by play guy had no idea what just happened because he wasn't in the ballpark and the camera did not show what went on. If they are watching the game on TV just like us, what insights can they give us? It's beyond ridiculous at this point. Get them back onsite
They are a bunch of candy asses . Life is nothing but one big risk after another, but this virus has stopped WAY too many people in their tracks. It's over everyone lets move on !

Big cost cutting, the decline in the quality of the product is surpassed by the increase in savings. Going forward you'll likely only have the radio crew at the games with TV done remotely from the studio hub.

Wait so they’re not in plexiglass boxes, with atomized purell blown over them continually while wearing a cool team mask? So many lost opportunities.

Reactions: goru1869
i'm fine with them being remote...but the booth guys shouldn't be commenting on the atmosphere or acting like they're on site. what kills me is that a couple of times during the Euro 2020 coverage, twellman made a comment about atmosphere duing the in-game commentary, and immediately after the game, he's doing the postgame in studio in a different city.

I wouldn’t be shocked if some of these networks save some bucks and don’t send them out on the road for a while. Same with papers and scrub beat writers.

‘This. Networks just trying to save $$$$$. Give 2 sh#ts about the Product.
Just like McDonalds refusing indoor dining. Cut labor costs. Penny pinching dirtbags.

Just to give the RU board another thing to complain about.

MLB TV lets you choose home/away/radio broadcast. Streaming ftw, again.

Last edited:

i'm guessing they've been doing games remotely for yrs, they were just in the stadium while doing so.

you think they were watching the field that's a half mile down from the booth, or the HD monitor 2 feet away.

i'm guessing they've been calling games watching the monitor instead of the field for awhile now, but i have no inside knowledge on the subject.

i'm guessing they've been doing games remotely for yrs, they were just in the stadium while doing so.

you think they were watching the field that's a half mile down from the booth, or the HD monitor 2 feet away.

i'm guessing they've been calling games watching the monitor instead of the field for awhile now, but i have no inside knowledge on the subject.
they will sometimes during the pitch. After contact you watch the field. A byproduct of this is soon you'll get really crappy (crappier) announcers

they will sometimes during the pitch. After contact you watch the field. A byproduct of this is soon you'll get really crappy (crappier) announcers

my bad, i was thinking football.

a lot of football press boxes are a looong way from the field.

It’s not $

It’s people still being petrified to travel
As somebody who actually knows the facts, rather than just opines, this is factually inaccurate. It's about the cash.
Those decisions aren't made by the people you see on TV or hear on the air. They are made by their boss' boss, in conjunction with the beancounters that those respective bosses deal with on a daily basis.

As somebody who actually knows the facts, rather than just opines, this is factually inaccurate. It's about the cash.
Those decisions aren't made by the people you see on TV or hear on the air. They are made by their boss' boss, in conjunction with the beancounters that those respective bosses deal with on a daily basis.

Yeah, all of a sudden $ is a problem 👌

Reactions: goru1869
Yeah, all of a sudden $ is a problem 👌
I'm not calling it a problem. I'm saying that whether a beat writer or columnist is cleared by their company to travel isnt up to them; its up to the boss. And whether a crew is sent somewhere to broadcast on location or remotely is a significant decision not left up to "the talent." It's a project to send on-air talent somewhere, because they do not go alone. Producers, camera crews, etc.

Reactions: fsg2
I'm not calling it a problem. I'm saying that whether a beat writer or columnist is cleared by their company to travel isnt up to them; its up to the boss. And whether a crew is sent somewhere to broadcast on location or remotely is a significant decision not left up to "the talent." It's a project to send on-air talent somewhere, because they do not go alone. Producers, camera crews, etc.
yes I've heard many of them are so frustrated with the fact that they're not allowed to travel, that some of them have gotten together and complained to the commissioners office

There's actually an article about exactly this in today's Post. It's focused on the radio teams. I know for the Yanks Kay and Cone are in the stadium but Paul O'Neill is still in his basement. Teams have to be at the 85% vaccinated threshold before the tv and radio announcer teams can come back to the stadiums, and as others have said, the cost of sending the broadcast teams, especially for radio, is a factor.

https://nypost.com/2021/06/18/suzyn-waldman-john-sterling-should-be-on-road-with-yankees/

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT