ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Yankees 12th round draft pick

RUboston

All American
Sep 13, 2002
Is my son's good buddy and we're friends with the family. Coached him on his summer travel team. Ben Rice, a lefty hitting catcher with power from Cohassett, MA. Great kid, hard worker, loves the game. Even though from MA, he's been a Yankee fan all his life. Let's hope he makes it to the Bigs wearing the pinstripes.

That's pretty cool and good luck to him.

heard that the odds to make it even after being drafted is about 11%

My son played rec ball on the same team as St. Louis Cardinals 5th Rd pick, Cranford's Gordon Graceffo. Played at Villanova.

Reactions: RUNVA
Playing for the Yankees Tampa low A affiliate. Both of his homers so far have been over 420 feet.

Reactions: Postman_1
He was promoted to AA Somerset Patriots ten days ago and is tearing it up. Go check out the Patriots and Ben if you can. Yankees are very high on him and he may be a September call up. Bat speed, exit velocity, and launch angle are all off the charts.

RU Boston-
How is your son doing?
He played at the D 1 collegiate level which is an incredible accomplishment..can’t imagine how proud you are of that feat.
Unknowing people see good high school players and don’t realize they can’t even play D 3.. that’s how good you have to be.😊🤙

Thanks for asking Zap. He's doing well. Graduated from the Naval Academy in 21. Chose Marine Ground as his service. He's out in CA now at Camp Pendleton, living in Dana Point. Misses baseball. His junior year season, 2020, was canceled due to Covid after 15 games. Navy was 14-1 at the time and had good seniors.

RU Boston-
How is your son doing?
He played at the D 1 collegiate level which is an incredible accomplishment..can’t imagine how proud you are of that feat.
Unknowing people see good high school players and don’t realize they can’t even play D 3.. that’s how good you have to be.😊🤙
Zap, see my reply above. Ben Rice hit another HR last night for Somerset.
The Navy BB coach resigned in May and the former FSU pitching coach is the new Navy head coach. The former Army coach went to Northwestern and was fired after one season for allegedly creating a "toxic" atmosphere.

I've heard good stuff about this guy. Unfortunately, the Yankees have a number of catching prospects in their system.

He was promoted to AA Somerset Patriots ten days ago and is tearing it up. Go check out the Patriots and Ben if you can. Yankees are very high on him and he may be a September call up. Bat speed, exit velocity, and launch angle are all off the charts.

Wow, this kid is friggin impressive! Ivy League kid so I'm sure he can call a great game.

Talk of this guy being an eventual replacement for Rizzo at 1B.

Reactions: RU205
Is he a catcher or 1st baseman?
Catcher but some says that will be his position in MLB. I was at the Somerset Patriot game Tuesday when Cole was pitching and the Yardgoats were running on him every chance they got. He didn’t come close to throwing anyone out.

Catcher but some says that will be his position in MLB. I was at the Somerset Patriot game Tuesday when Cole was pitching and the Yardgoats were running on him every chance they got. He didn’t come close to throwing anyone out.
It’s a tough position switch, many all time great catchers attempted the change when they reached mid 30s but ended up letting in more runs than they drove in.
Outside of Gene Tenace, I can’t really think of any who succeeded

In fairness, Cole and most pitchers today don’t do a great job of holding runners on.

Another HR last night. 3 HR's in his first three AAA games.
Rizzo is done Boston, he stands on top of the plate and can’t handle the fastball anymore, even against the opposite arm of right handers.
He’s finished, him and Stanton hitting where they do in the lineup will win you 100 games going away, but you’ll lose in the playoffs with no production from those slots.
Rizzo = Finished

Maybe Rice will be called up.
For a left handed hitter facing right handed fastballs from the spot in the order he is hitting, and continually be unable to catch up to them is awful.

Willie Stargell at 40 terrorized right handed pitching, so did McCovey

I keep hoping Rizzo will break out of what hopefully is a slump. But the clock is ticking and the Yankees' patience can't be endless. Although I wonder if they'd wanna screw with team chemistry when they're on such a great roll.

Not to steal your thunder but for those with premium there is an awesome thread on the main board about a posters kids elevation from single A to first mlb start last week.

Ben Rice being called up due to Rizzo injury. Will be batting sixth and playing first for the New York Yankees tonight.
Unfortunate injury for Rizzo, but the kid deserves a chance in this situation.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT