ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Paul Mulcahy flashes in debut

It should be noted that he finished with his left hand on one play...something I didn't see in his high-school highlight videos.

Reactions: RutgersRaRa
It should be noted that he finished with his left hand on one play...something I didn't see in his high-school highlight videos.
And was going strong to his left again when he lobbed that beautiful alley oop to Myles. Loved his awareness there.

Reactions: Scangg
And was going strong to his left again when he lobbed that beautiful alley oop to Myles. Loved his awareness there.
Oh he has no problem dribbling to his left. In high-school though he would switch to his right hand to finish even when going to his left.

Watched the replay of the game on DVR. Interesting to note that Bob Wenzel matter of factly stated that Mulcahy's position in the future would not be point guard because he didn't have the quickness to match up with Big Ten point guards.

Watched the replay of the game on DVR. Interesting to note that Bob Wenzel matter of factly stated that Mulcahy's position in the future would not be point guard because he didn't have the quickness to match up with Big Ten point guards.
I'm actually looking forward to see him defend Big Ten point guards.

Hes never going to. He will never be the smallest guy on the court for RU. Paul will exclusively guard the 2 and 3, pike has hinted as much.

paul also isnt nearly as bad a defender as people like to think. I watched him give scottie lewis all he could handle on D last year. Paul’s a scrapper. Just because hes white and cant jump through a gym people automatically assume he cant defend and isnt athletic

Who says he has to cover the opposing point guard?
Yeah but if they’re covering him they could give him fits as well. I like how we used him in game one in the high post. He likely will see time playing 1-3 in his career. But if he’s covering the 3 being covered by a 3 then he’s a 3. A 3 who will touch the ball every half court set most likely.

2 fold issue...staying in front of quicker guards AND fighting thru screens off the ball.

Issue #2 becomes less of an issue next year as he will be stronger.

The bottom line is he will almost always guard the opposing 3 or even 4. In addition, in college basketball getting beat from the perimeter is more of a killer then having your man in the paint. 6'6'' can't be taught

Hes never going to. He will never be the smallest guy on the court for RU. Paul will exclusively guard the 2 and 3, pike has hinted as much.

paul also isnt nearly as bad a defender as people like to think. I watched him give scottie lewis all he could handle on D last year. Paul’s a scrapper. Just because hes white and cant jump through a gym people automatically assume he cant defend and isnt athletic

I hear you, kyk, but if you watched the first two games, you know that his lateral foot speed leaves a bit to be desired at this point. I think he is a WILLING defender -- which is certainly important -- but there are 2s and 3s who are going to blow by him and cause defensive breakdowns.

Reactions: Greene Rice FIG
I saw Paul head to head with Scottie Lewis as well at Kean last winter and Paul I thought played a little better than Scottie. He is a PLAYER.

I saw him play against Roselle Catholic as a junior. They of course were loaded - Naz Reid, Khalil Whitney and others. People around here found it hard to believe when I said that Mulcahy was the most impactful player in that game. That’s not to say that he was the most talented player, or the best pro prospect, or the best college prospect. The thing about Paul is that he makes good things happen. I see him like a poor mans Kyle Anderson.

I hear you, kyk, but if you watched the first two games, you know that his lateral foot speed leaves a bit to be desired at this point. I think he is a WILLING defender -- which is certainly important -- but there are 2s and 3s who are going to blow by him and cause defensive breakdowns.

Yes his lateral speed needs work, but I’ve been impressed by his straight line speed. He gets to the hole in a hurry, very little wasted motion.

Something in his hips or knees needs to be strengthened and he can improve on his lateral play.

Mulcahy is gonna struggle with more athletic opponents like how mostly everyone on Iowa did last night against DePaul. Just gotta hope that what he brings to the table (passing, vision, etc) is greater than what he doesn't.

Reactions: Greene Rice FIG
Mulcahy is gonna struggle with more athletic opponents like how mostly everyone on Iowa did last night against DePaul. Just gotta hope that what he brings to the table (passing, vision, etc) is greater than what he doesn't.
His height and length will help him on defense. He guarded Antoine and Lewis on Rainey just fine. Pike instills defense and as Van Dyke gets him stronger , he will improve on defense. Plus he is a smart player and anticipate where the offensive person is going. Really not worried about Paul. Actually loving the dimension he is bringing without any pressure on him with all our bodies. Enjoy his rookie year because he is only going to get better and better .

Reactions: BillyC80

I had my doubts about that too, but Pike says he's been very good defensively in practice and he looked much quicker laterally than I thought in the 2 games RU played. Plus, there will be instances where he will not draw the assignment of defending the other teams PG, especially if Young is on the floor.

Reactions: BillyC80
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT