ADVERTISEMENT

Planning for the Future: Facilities upgrades at Rutgers

getmyjive11

All American
Gold Member
Jan 11, 2008
I know that there is a lot of discussion here about facilities upgrades to Rutgers up to speed with the rest of the Big Ten. Money is obviously the pressing issue so getting the most bang for the buck is key. However, in pursuit of efficiency, Rutgers should not get sloppy with their decisions. The new facilities need to be competitive with the rest of the Big Ten in both usability and aesthetics to ensure that Rutgers isn't simply coming up with a 10 year solution that will be a problem again in the future.

Let's get right to the biggest issue for Rutgers right out (outside of money). That would be the size of campus and the way it is spread out. Athletics being on three campuses lends to efficiency issues for Rutgers. To address the issues, I believe that teams need to be moved. Here are the steps that I would take as funding becomes available:

1) Scrap the indoor baseball/softball facility idea - (solution to this on step two)
2) Build a massive indoor facility that would hold two full-length practice fields - This would be the largest facility in the nation and would certainly help with recruiting. Additionally, this facility would be used by multiple sports. At PSU, the indoor facility is used by baseball, softball, LAX and golf in addition to football... I envision the same here. That eliminates the need for the indoor softball/baseball facility and improves efficiencies. The new facility would also feature new offices and locker rooms for LAX and batting cages and bullpens for baseball/softball.

3605461.JPG

3a) Move the baseball and softball stadiums down to University Park.

3605512.JPG

3b) Create a new "Athletic Village" that houses offices, locker rooms and a training table for M/W Soccer, Baseball, Softball and Tennis. This would be located next to Yurcak Field on the Blue lot.

3605587.JPG

3c) Tennis courts. - The tennis courts would be moved to the top of the Yellow Lot and a "feature court" with small bleachers would be added.

3605683.JPG

4) Build a new 10-12k seat arena/performing arts center for complete with an attached practice facility and offices for M/W basketball. This will go on the site of the baseball and softball fields. Additional parking will be constructed around the top end of the arena.

3605711.JPG

5) Move Wrestling, Volleyball and Gymnastics into the RAC. Expand the RAC to include locker rooms, practice facilities and office space for each.

3605738.JPG

6) Expand and renovate the Hale Center - Expand the Hale Center out into the Brown Lot. Add parking where the old Tennis courts were.

3605771.JPG

7) Build an indoor track and field facility with locker rooms and offices for track and field and also field hockey.

3605819.JPG

I think that would put Rutgers on a pretty good footing for athletics. Now, this would be a 20 year plan... items 3-5 would need to happen in order but the Hale Expansion could happen at any time. I think the new indoor facility is a critical item and should be put at the forefront. Do it before wasting money on the indoor baseball and softball facilities. Also, stadium expansion should always be on the table, but for the time being the stadium size is fine. Increase ticket prices and get a waiting list for season tickets before making such a move. Also, pave in the parts of the yellow and blue lots that will not have new facilities on them.

All of this can happen in due time. Just don't "throw good money at bad" and everything will be fine.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.