ADVERTISEMENT

**POD -- Pat Hobbs returns to talk NCAA snub, facilities, B1G moving forward**

Good insights from Hobbs

-Explaining he lets his coaches pick their non-conference schedule. Makes sense for the most part.

- “We were told, or it was suggested out there” that the committee considered Ohio St loss a win. Little ambiguous based on wording the mechanisms of this info being made available.

-Greg’s resources a priority

-Frugal with facilities in high cost of building area (paraphrasing)

-Revenue problem not spending problem (side of facilities, upgrade fundraising and successes)

-More on facilities in June

-RAC expansion rumor of alternate facility; “goal to never leave the arena”; contracting with company with experience avoiding leaving the arena

-mentioned/called out basketball fans, non-students especially, for not being out of their seats at tip offs like the rest of the conference does to support their teams

Last edited:
Pat was great and answered a lot of the questions we've all had over the past year. Definitely won't wanna miss this one.

Good insights from Hobbs

-Explaining he lets his coaches pick their non-conference schedule. Makes sense for the most part.

- “We were told, or it was suggested out there” that the committee considered Ohio St loss a win. Little ambiguous based on wording the mechanisms of this info being made available.

-Greg’s resources a priority

-Frugal with facilities in high cost of building area (paraphrasing)

-Revenue problem not spending problem (side of facilities, upgrade fundraising and successes)

-More on facilities in June

-RAC expansion rumor of alternate facility; “goal to never leave the arena”; contracting with company with experience avoiding leaving the arena

-mentioned/called out basketball fans, non-students especially, for not being out of their seats at tip offs like the rest of the conference does to support their teams
This means 100 less threads per month in this forum. ;)

Hobbs referred to himself in the third person a lot got a good chuckle towards the end.

Reactions: erdelyaj
Me and a very few others on here will do our best to not take victory laps on playing at the RAC Jersey Mikes DURING construction. So many know it all posters adamant that the construction HAD to displace the team for a year.

If Indiana can do it, so can Rutgers.
You weren't alone. I've been involved in all kinds of renovation projects that worked around shutting down the facility being renovated. One just has to be creative and it will likely cost a bit more, but it's worth it.

Reactions: Scarlet83
One thing I know about construction projects in New Jersey is that delays result in additional costs .Hobbs admitted Rutgers has revenue problems.It will be interesting to hear in June projected time frames for starting football and RAC construction.

• Love
Reactions: rubigtimenow
One thing I know about construction projects in New Jersey is that delays result in additional costs .Hobbs admitted Rutgers has revenue problems.It will be interesting to hear in June projected time frames for starting football and RAC construction.
June isnt when the construction is to begin, it’s when the master plan is scheduled to be released

Reactions: gregkoko
Excellent interview. Wide range of topics and I think pretty much very honest answers.

Best of Luck,
Groz

Reactions: mb5789
Glad he addressed the standing part of the fans who sit court-side. ****ing shame he has to walk around and get people to stand up. We should be on our feet until the first basket by Rutgers is scored. Most other schools do this and shows massive support.

Also Pat didn’t say we definitely will NOT play outside of the RAC. He said it was the goal.
It’s certainly encouraging to hear that but that’s not set in stone either.

Reactions: Proud NJ Sports Fan
Excellent interview.

I liked that he touched on why Rutgers won’t get ice hockey anytime soon. Bummer because hockey would be a great addition

The crux of the interview was that Rutgers sports doesn’t generate enough ticket revenue compared to rest of the other conference schools.

Football needs to sell more tickets.

Basketball needs to expand capacity.

Excellent interview.

I liked that he touched on why Rutgers won’t get ice hockey anytime soon. Bummer because hockey would be a great addition

The crux of the interview was that Rutgers sports doesn’t generate enough ticket revenue compared to rest of the other conference schools.

Football needs to sell more tickets.

Basketball needs to expand capacity.
Agreed, but Pat has said in both interviews he’s done with us that Rutgers needs to drastically increase our premium seat inventory. That will be a big focus of the JMA expansion

Sounds like Hobbs pushed back on the committee, so good to hear.

I’m not sure what they are supposed to do but I really really hope, they make sure the committee doesn’t Eff us again. Through making a huge stink.
If we won’t deserve it one year…fine.
But find someone else to screw going forward you did us dirty in ‘23 and everyone agrees.
This caps off the trifecta of screwedness this year.

-Ohio State
-Take away a Neutral Site - Q1 win over MSU
-Invent new process to target/eliminate Rutgers (thanks B holes)

Hobbs did not say we wouldn't have to spend a season outside of the RAC. He just said that it's his preference and that they will do their best to prevent that.

My major takeaway from this is that ticket and parking prices will continue to increase and they will ask us to dig deeper for more donations.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT