ADVERTISEMENT

Politi: The Downfall of Pat Hobbs

I have no idea if Hobbs was sleeping with this coach or not, but this entire article (as have all previous articles on the situation) reads like a handful of soft-as-Charmin women with helicopter parents didn't like their coach, didn't like that the AD wouldn't back them over their coach, so they started a whisper campaign to make his life miserable. So he quit rather than live a miserable life. Politi's "evidence" is embarrassing (not surprising for him) ... There was a tarot card reading ... Hobbs attended the Big Ten championships (where undoubtedly, administrators from every Big Ten school were also in attendance) ... Hobbs went to the Big Ten spring meeting (an hour and a half drive away from where Beasley was staying on a recruiting trip).

I have no idea if Hobbs was sleeping with this coach or not, but this entire article (as have all previous articles on the situation) reads like a handful of soft-as-Charmin women with helicopter parents didn't like their coach, didn't like that the AD wouldn't back them over their coach, so they started a whisper campaign to make his life miserable. So he quit rather than live a miserable life. Politi's "evidence" is embarrassing (not surprising for him) ... There was a tarot card reading ... Hobbs attended the Big Ten championships (where undoubtedly, administrators from every Big Ten school were also in attendance) ... Hobbs went to the Big Ten spring meeting (an hour and a half drive away from where Beasley was staying on a recruiting trip).
Politi is a look at me ass clown.

Reactions: AdventureHasAName
If Pat Hobbs abused his position for personal interests, then …

Good riddance.
Hypothetical question, and I know nothing about what happened (nor does anyone else except for Pat and the alleged other party)--is it an "abuse" of the position if the other person made the move and both were willing participants? Sure, it's an offense the demands dismissal under the published parts of University policy, but I would not say it is an abuse of his position. It takes two to tango.

Maybe the paywalled articled contains other allegations about other personal interests (financial?), and that could be "abuse."

Not looking for an argument, just fleshing (bad word choice?) this out.

Hypothetical question, and I know nothing about what happened (nor does anyone else except for Pat and the alleged other party)--is it an "abuse" of the position if the other person made the move and both were willing participants? Sure, it's an offense the demands dismissal under the published parts of University policy, but I would not say it is an abuse of his position. It takes two to tango.

Maybe the paywalled articled contains other allegations about other personal interests (financial?), and that could be "abuse."

Not looking for an argument, just fleshing (bad word choice?) this out.

Article alludes to PH’s allegedly flying around and attending inordinate amount of gymnastics events at RU’s expense.

Also RU allegedly has a policy discouraging personal relationships such as this alleged relationship with a coach, with an imbalance of power, and requires the employee exercising power over employment matters involving the other employee in the relationship to recuse himself from employment related decisions affecting that employee (paraphrasing).

Article alleges PH did not do so.

Article alludes to PH’s allegedly flying around and attending inordinate amount of gymnastics events at RU’s expense.

Also RU allegedly has a policy discouraging personal relationships such as this alleged relationship with a coach, with an imbalance of power, and requires the employee exercising power over employment matters involving the other employee in the relationship to recuse himself from employment related decisions affecting that employee (paraphrasing).

Fair enough, but ultimately, he did "recuse himself from employment related decisions affecting that employee." He effectively fixed the glitch. It just took him a while to do it. 😉

c8eced75-47d6-4e40-9c77-01c1ded6014b_text.gif

Reactions: NewJerseyGuy

No idea what happened but if the team and families were complaining about the coach, isn't it the AD's job to flesh those complaints out? Wouldn't part of that be attending meets and watching the interactions?

Reactions: Knight Shift
And here we go.. a story based on some other media's story as their "evidence".. all based on lurid speculation.

Story: people are saying... blah blah blah

meanwhile.. we have vice president who, say, used her feminine wiles to get where she is as possibly our next president... and that is celebrated. Someone go arrest 90-year old Willie Brown.

Last edited:
And here we go.. a story based on some other media's story as their "evidence".. all based on lurid speculation.

Story: people are saying... blah blah blah
IDK, this seems like a smoking gun?

Marvel Studios Smile GIF by Disney+

"Hobbs participated in a tarot card reading during a social event for the athletic department last winter and was asked about the most important thing in life, as two gymnasts recalled to the outlet.

The former athletic director looked at Salim-Beasley and said “love.
”"

“It was so weird,” one gymnast told the publication. “It’s really hard to put into words, but they were staring each other in the eye, sitting right next to each other. You could feel some type of tension between them. All my teammates looked at each other with the weirdest look like, ‘What is going on here?’”

He attended the team’s Fish MLK Jr. Invitational in January of this year, and the two laughed after passing a heart-shaped sign that read, “Love You, Pat,” per the report.

“We were like, ‘That’s really weird,’” one gymnast told the outlet.

The first thing I said to him was: ‘I need you to set any personal relationship you have with Umme aside and listen to me as your student-athlete,’” one gymnast told the outlet. “He goes ‘What are you talking about? Personal relationship? That’s not true.’ If you’re getting defensive, that makes it seem true.”

Another said: “At first, he said that he did not have a personal relationship with Umme, but then he said that he had a personal relationship with all the head coaches. So which one is it, buddy?”

the amanda show nicksplat GIF

• Haha
Reactions: newell138
IDK, this seems like a smoking gun?

Marvel Studios Smile GIF by Disney+

"Hobbs participated in a tarot card reading during a social event for the athletic department last winter and was asked about the most important thing in life, as two gymnasts recalled to the outlet.

The former athletic director looked at Salim-Beasley and said “love.
”"

“It was so weird,” one gymnast told the publication. “It’s really hard to put into words, but they were staring each other in the eye, sitting right next to each other. You could feel some type of tension between them. All my teammates looked at each other with the weirdest look like, ‘What is going on here?’”

He attended the team’s Fish MLK Jr. Invitational in January of this year, and the two laughed after passing a heart-shaped sign that read, “Love You, Pat,” per the report.

“We were like, ‘That’s really weird,’” one gymnast told the outlet.

The first thing I said to him was: ‘I need you to set any personal relationship you have with Umme aside and listen to me as your student-athlete,’” one gymnast told the outlet. “He goes ‘What are you talking about? Personal relationship? That’s not true.’ If you’re getting defensive, that makes it seem true.”

Another said: “At first, he said that he did not have a personal relationship with Umme, but then he said that he had a personal relationship with all the head coaches. So which one is it, buddy?”

the amanda show nicksplat GIF
congrats for being the first one to use a gif from The Amanda show on this board!

Reactions: Knight Shift
..as two gymnasts recalled to the outlet.

Forget what the disgruntled athletes are saying and focus on the money.

-Was she retained when she should have been fired.
-Was she paid substantially more than her peers, compared to other coaches at Rutgers and in her sport
-Did Hobbs travel more to gymnastics events than for other sports

Just forget the hearsay. At least build a circumstantial case BEFORE publishing this crap.

If you want to publish what the disgruntled athletes say, investigate their claims against their coach.
- did their coach play favorites? how does that compare to any other coach anywhere?
- when they did get a chance to perform, did they perform at a level substantially above that of those they sought to replace?
- did the coach treat them poorly in any way?

If any of the complaints of the athletes are proven true, then test those complaints against what they wanted.. which was their coach getting fired by Hobbs. Or did Hobbs look into these claims and choose the side of the coach.. was that justified? has it happened in any other sport?

All that stuff take WORK. "Journalists" today seem unwilling to work if they can easily publish a salacious story that will get attention with ZERO work. And it is just possible that when they started to do the work, they realized there was no real story there.. but if they did not do the work, then there was a story to be had.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT