ADVERTISEMENT

Politi With a Solid Piece This Afternoon on Holloway's Stance on Athletics

RutgersRaRa

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Mar 21, 2011
Here's the LINK.

Excerpt from the article:

*But it was a significant declaration. For years, Rutgers has operated under the misguided perception that the university would someday profit off its teams, or worse, that the spending was a grand waste of resources that tarnished the entire institution.

This perception, to be clear, came from the previous occupants of his office. Holloway’s predecessor, Robert Barchi, used the word “siphoning” to describe how athletics was taking money away from the “academic mission.” It is hard enough to beat Michigan. Try doing it while your own president thinks the whole exercise is a waste of valuable capital.*

This is part is a good read …

Even more than a year after taking over as Rutgers president, there are things people told Jonathan Holloway about this university that he could only understand after experiencing them himself. Case in point: The noise at Jersey Mike’s Arena.

“I went to games during the COVID year and people would tell me, ‘You have no idea what this place is going to sound like when it’s full,’” Holloway said in a phone interview on Friday. “You hear that enough and you’re like, okay, whatever.”

Then he went to the Illinois game this week, a 70-59 victory for the Scarlet Knights that left him and 8,000 others with ringing eardrums for days. The new guy was a believer.

“Oh. My. God,” Holloway laughed. “That was unbelievable!”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT