Votes: 58 45.0%
  • b) Schiano

Votes: 71 55.0%

• Total voters

RURahh

All Conference
Gold Member
Sep 21, 2013
I am sure we all expect to know what the answer will be - but in thinking about things - I think a good argument could be made for each. Since the overwhelming vote will likely be for Greg, maybe I can start by addressing a few of the pros versus cons in Pike's favor. Also, since somebody will ask, the poll is for CUMALATIVE body of work - so both iterations of Schiano 1.0 and 2.0

a) which program was at a worse level - I would argue that Basketball after Eddie Jordan was not only at a lower level than Rutgers football in either post Shea or post Ash. The fan base was far more apathetic, the RAC was a morgue, between Rice and EJ - the life had literally been sucked out of the program and the funding resources relative to other schools was worse for basketball than football. Obviously, the first few years for both were rough, but by year 3, you could see glimmers of hope turning up for Pike.

b) Coaching Staff - the coaching staff that Pike was able to bring in - AND MAINTAIN - is/was a better coaching staff than Greg was ever able to assemble - and more importantly, keep them together. Greg is notoriously demanding and difficult to work for - while Pike has been able to keep both Karl Hobbs and Brandin Knight - who are both quality assistants - and his ability to use Shoes as an off-bench asistant showed what little ego and shrewdness Pike has

c) Tougher Division - If we are looking at total body of work - The Big 10 in Basketball is probably a tougher league than the combination of the Big East/Big 10. Obviously, the Big10 East is the toughest division hands down, but the majority of Greg's work was done in the Big East - and we couldn't even win a championship with such a group on players who went on to NFL careers.

d) Post Season - outside of the Gator Bowl - lol, Greg really never got us anywhere. Even UCONN was able to get to the Fiesta Bowl - I would argue that Pike getting us to the NCAA in back to back years, and winning our first game in almost 40 years and coming minutes away from the Sweet 16 is more monumental than any of Greg's bowl wins

e) Biggest Win - We beat the #1 team in the country. Yes, basketball plays more games and thus more chances, but Rutgers has never beaten a #1 (maybe in any sport??)

f) Game Day Coach - Schiano 1.0 was a great coach from Sunday - Friday, so no argument over who was the better game day coach for his first era. Both coaches have a history of being excellent defensive coaches and offensively challenged, but until something changes, I would say this category goes to Pike

The arguments for Greg are pretty well known, program builder, took Rutgers to the big time, excellent recruiter,

Some of the pick'em arguments are - handing of the media, building integrity in the program, turning boys into men. Going forward, seeing how each handle the changing landscape of NIL may be a key tie-breaker

Anyway, I am leaving out thoughts on each - but hopefully the above gives enough food for thought to consider that Pike's overall body of work might be superior other than the obvious excitement that Greg built from one game in 2006 and a good recruiting class in 2012 and hopefully good classes in 2021 and 2022.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News