ADVERTISEMENT

Poll: Win NIT or lose in round one in NCAA?

Would you rather win the NIT or make the NCAA as a 9 seed and lose in the first round?

• Win NIT?

Votes: 26 12.3%
  • Lose in round one of NCAA?

Votes: 186 87.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
We ran around the garden like we won something . The train ride home after the semifinal win was epic . We celebrated like it was the real final 4. Surely , we didn’t have that kind of celebration when we played Arizona state on a sleepy Friday afternoon . Maybe it says something about the fan base ? But historically we were more fired up for NIT success than an ncaa appearance .

It was great, compared to the nothing we had had since 1991, but recall the first few NIT games at home weren't sold out at all, since fans realized it was just the NIT. Yes fans really turned out for MSG, because that's more of an event, but it still pales in comparison to playing in the NCAAs. Also, recall that in 1991, we were in a relatively weak conference with way less attention and hype paid to it than the B1G (or the BE). But it was still a much bigger deal to me than the NIT ever was - I lived and died with every play in that game against ASU and it hurt far more than the loss against UM in the NIT finals.

In addition, in 1991, we could look back and see that we had been to the Tourney in 1989, 1983, 1979, 1976 and 1975. i.e., 6 times in 17 years and there was never any thought I recall (and none I had) that we would then go 29 friggin' years - a generation and a half! - before possibly going again. As we're seeing this year with every game now a sellout, there is so much pent-up desire to make it back to the Tourney that it's palpable and I'm pretty sure that if we make it, the turnout of Rutgers Nation is going to be off the charts and will blow people away. I know so many fans who simply say, "I'm going."

I voted for NCAA but it’s a bigger accomplishment to win the NIT than lose in the 1st round in the NCAA. When was the last time we won the NIT? I honestly would sign up for either.

Be in the national championship picture or compete to be the 66th best team in the country - not too difficult to answer.

Reactions: Night Man
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT