ADVERTISEMENT

Portal questions related to MSU

ru_upstate

Freshman
Nov 4, 2002
Sorry if these questions were addressed already.

I saw something that if there is a mid-season coaching change, players for that school have a special 30 day window to enter the portal.

When does this window start given the MSU case? (maybe it did?)
Anyone know if players sat out of the Washington game expecting to transfer?
Didn't MSU sign a few NJ guys away from us a couple years ago? Maybe the come home.

I posted this in the other thread. I don't think the 30 day window starts yet because he hasn't been officially fired yet. He's been given a notice that he will be fired but they haven't officially done it yet.

I'm not proud on this one. We need this win extremely badly. I hope there is a mass exodus in the coming weeks. And yes, let's get some of these Jersey boys back home.

Reactions: wheezer
I would imagine that no MSU player is going to leave mid season, especially if NIL money has been granted to them in Lansing.

I would imagine that no MSU player is going to leave mid season, especially if NIL money has been granted to them in Lansing.
I'd be surprised too if there was mid season. Maybe a few but not a lot. How many NW players left and that was before the season. I think a few did and they were young players iirc.

Division I football players now can play in up to four games without using a year of eligibility. They can still play this weekend and have time to sit out the season without losing a year.
Does the name Raheem Blackshear come to mind? Pretty big loss for a certain team in red a few years back.

Can you play while in the transfer portal?

I wonder if players can "enter the transfer portal" purely as a way to "officially" talk to other schools.
Pull name from portal to play out the year.

Then reenter the portal after the season and officially transfer at that time.

Not every school is going to take in players mid-season and disrupt their roster.
But they can make future plans with players now if they are in the Portal.

Reactions: LeapinLou
I'd be surprised too if there was mid season. Maybe a few but not a lot. How many NW players left and that was before the season. I think a few did and they were young players iirc.
I believe most football player at Northwestern are choosing to go to Northwestern for things greater than athletics. Big difference between leaving Northwestern and MSU. Very few people are leaving Northwestern unless they are going IVY, Stanford or a Duke level academically.

Reactions: LeapinLou

This is a good point. If meeting my NIL commitment is my priority, I don't enter the portal during the 30-day window.

If having flexibility and protecting my years of eligibility is the priority, though, why wouldn't I enter the portal? This year is a cluster**** and I can wait to see the new coach without burning eligibility. If they get a great coach, I ask back in.

I believe most football player at Northwestern are choosing to go to Northwestern for things greater than athletics. Big difference between leaving Northwestern and MSU. Very few people are leaving Northwestern unless they are going IVY, Stanford or a Duke level academically.
I think like 20 players transferred from Stanford after Shaw left so I don't think academics is the only thing on every player's mind.

My point is less about players leaving NW or MSU after the season but more about them leaving during the season. Both those schools may lose more players after the season but with the season so close in NW's case and the season ongoing in MSU's case, I'd find it surprising to see any sort of mass exodus in season.

Division I football players now can play in up to four games without using a year of eligibility. They can still play this weekend and have time to sit out the season without losing a year.
Does the name Raheem Blackshear come to mind? Pretty big loss for a certain team in red a few years back.
The blackshear loss was not big that season . That team in red was terrible. Hobbs should never have brought ash back that season

This is a good point. If meeting my NIL commitment is my priority, I don't enter the portal during the 30-day window.

If having flexibility and protecting my years of eligibility is the priority, though, why wouldn't I enter the portal? This year is a cluster**** and I can wait to see the new coach without burning eligibility. If they get a great coach, I ask back in.
I assume these NIL deals have legal outs for the players, and they'd be seamlessly walking into similar NIL deals if they were to transfer.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT