Rutgers

8. Maryland
Penn State
10. Michigan
Wisconsin
Ohio State

13. Nebraska

14. Minnesota

Purdue head and shoulders above everyone. Going to win the league...will lose a couple games.

2 tiers below them developing. Now a clear grouping of 6 that have coelesced themselves interchangeble with each other as each has knocked off one another. 2 through 7 is up for grabs for now. One game could really make a big difference here. Thats why Torvik spitting out 94% chance of finishing in top 4 for Rutgers is comical in fact hysterical given the standings.

the grouping below them is maybe 5 schools with Maryland and PSU perhaps a notch above the other ones...3 schools slumping badly. Can any of those 5 leap forward into the top 7 grouping...going to be tough although standings wise a school like Michigan is at 5-5 a game out of 3rd.

Reactions: Rufans
1. Purdue

2. Indiana
Illinois
Michigan State
Northwestern
Iowa
Rutgers

8. Maryland
Penn State
10. Michigan
Wisconsin
Ohio State

13. Nebraska

14. Minnesota

Purdue head and shoulders above everyone. Going to win the league...will lose a couple games.

2 tiers below them developing. Now a clear grouping of 6 that have coelesced themselves interchangeble with each other as each has knocked off one another. 2 through 7 is up for grabs for now. One game could really make a big difference here. Thats why Torvik spitting out 94% chance of finishing in top 4 for Rutgers is comical in fact hysterical given the standings.

the grouping below them is maybe 5 schools with Maryland and PSU perhaps a notch above the other ones...3 schools slumping badly. Can any of those 5 leap forward into the top 7 grouping...going to be tough although standings wise a school like Michigan is at 5-5 a game out of 3rd.
Rutgers has the weakest remaining SOS

This is what my eyeballs are seeing, without bias from the net rankings or kenpom

not going to put RU in this, ranking the other 13 teams

1.) Purdue
2.) Indiana
3.) Illinois
4.) Michigan state
5.) Iowa
6.) Northwesten
7.) Maryland
8.) Penn state
9.) Wisconsin
10.) Michigan
11.) Ohio state
12.) Nebraska
13.) Minnesota

Think the top 5 (and Rutgers ) are in good shape for the ncaa, barring a major drop off

…and 6-11 have some work to do. …and 2 of the 6 make it

8 bids

1. Purdue

2. Indiana - getting back to full strength and peaking, 2 potential 1st round picks on team
3. Mich State
4. Illinois - on an impressive current streak.
5. Rutgers - good chance to statistically end in top 4 given balance of schedule and upcoming games vs Sparty / Illinois and Indiana
6. Iowa - Though Iowa swept RU, I still think Rutgers is better overall team vs rest of conference

7. Northwestern - still don't think they're this good.

8. Maryland
9. Penn State

10. Ohio State - they're better than their current record
11. Wisconsin

12. Michigan

13. Nebraska

14. Minnesota

My expectations:

- Purdue stays at 1
- 2 thru 5 is interchangeable by the day / by the game
- I expect NW to drop. I think they're more like 10 in conference.
- I expect Ohio State to elevate themselves. They should be in the 6-9 range.
- Wisconsin is reeling.

1. Purdue

2. Indiana
Illinois
Michigan State
Rutgers

6. Northwestern
Iowa
Maryland
Penn State

10. Michigan
Wisconsin
Ohio State

13. Nebraska

14. Minnesota

9 bids to the current top 9 in my list.

1. Purdue
2. Rutgers
3. Michigan State
4. Illinois
5. Iowa
6. Indiana
7. Northwestern
8. Penn State
9. Ohio State
10. Maryland
11. Michigan
12. Wisconsin
13. Nebraska
14. Minnesota

Seems like every team except Purdue (and maybe us) have forgone through stretches where they don’t look like a NCAA team.

#1 Purdue
#2 Indiana
#3 Illinois
#4 Rutgers
#5 Michigan St
#6 Maryland
#7 Northwestern
#8 Iowa
#9 Penn St
#10 Wisconsin
#11 Ohio St
#12 Michigan
#13 Nebraska
#14 Minnesota

As a Maryland fan, I am pretty happy with the consensus here. Many in our fanbase thought this season was going to be a disaster, as they recover from the coaching turmoil and the effect of losing their best player as a sophomore year after year for so long. Personally, I expected another losing record just like last season.

I would put Maryland at about 9 or 10 at best in the rankings...

With exception of Purdue and Minnesota/Nebraska, my view of the prospects for the rest of the conference swings considerably from week to week. Would be more of whose arrow is pointing up or down than trying to rank the teams.

Per Shell’s separate thread and Aaron Breitman’s article, we’ve played the hardest B1G schedule to date. Something to consider.

Rutgers and Michigan State have played the toughest schedules so far with MSU playing Purdue 2x and at Illinois and NW. we have played Purdue , NW and Indiana and beaten them all and 2 on the road.
Until 2 games ago , I would have put Purdue and Rutgers in Tier 1 and now Purdue alone in Tier 1.
Rutgers is a Tier 2. Despite Iowa’s beating us at the RAC , I cannot imagine another team beating us at the Rac( Indiana by 15 , Maryland by 14 , Penn State by 20 and Ohio State by 4 ) but I can see us winning at Indiana or at Illinois or At Wisconsin and even at Penn State .

3- Indiana and 4- Northwestern and 5) MSU and 6) Illinois is next tier as all playing real well, Indiana and Northwestern on winning streaks as TJD playing like an All American and Indiana playing defense again after 3 games not playing and taking defense off during that losing streak. Northwestern playing great defense as well and their guards are finally scoring more and not turning it over as much which was their downfall the last few years. MSU played Purdue 2x but playing better. and talent laden Illinois still inconsistent but winning thru that inconsistency. That first half against Wisconsin was hideous but they figured it out and went on a 17-2 run to take out a bad Wisconsin team in Madison where it is always hard to get a W.

7) Iowa because of their 2 Rutgers wins and comeback against Indiana but they are still flawed especially defensively and against more athletic teams. 8) Penn State, as any team with Jalen Pickett and 3 point snipers like Funk and Lundy have a chance in every game ; 9) Maryland /-Copying some of Pike’s pressing full court that has energized their defense which is creating turnovers and gotten their offense on track.
10 and 11 and 12 . Take your pick of Michigan , Wisconsin and Ohio State. Disappointing is an understatement and all 3 out of the tourney as of now unless they go on a big winning streak , even Ohio State and their stupid Net ranking which is flawed because RU should have won that road game as well .

13 and 14. Minnesota is playing better and Nebraska now hit with injuries so their early success has been extinguished.

1. Purdue

2. Indiana
Illinois
Michigan State
Northwestern
Iowa
Rutgers

8. Maryland
Penn State
10. Michigan
Wisconsin
Ohio State

13. Nebraska

14. Minnesota

Not comical if he like many count the OSU game as a win. The network said it a thousand times.

Having said that, it’s a loss in the standings and I agree basically with your groupings.

I think Rutgers gets credit for strength of schedule and sits higher in the 2 group.

1. Purdue

2. Indiana
Illinois
Michigan State
Northwestern
Iowa
Rutgers

8. Maryland
Penn State
10. Michigan
Wisconsin
Ohio State

13. Nebraska

14. Minnesota

IIRC I had illinois ahead of RU and I was told "That made no sense"....

I think Indiana is going to rise from some of these rankings, now that they are healthy and have all their players...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT