ADVERTISEMENT

Pre-Seeds Announced for 2020 Big Ten Wrestling Championships

Tango Two

Aug 21, 2001
North Brunswick, New Jersey
ROSEMONT, Ill. – The Big Ten Conference released its preliminary seeding for the 2020 Big Ten Wrestling Championships, scheduled for March 7-8 at the RAC. These seeds will be confirmed and finalized in bracket form by league coaches on Friday, March 6 prior to the start of the tournament. The pre-seeds, as voted on by the conference's coaches, rank 14 starters in all 10 weight classes.

https://scarletknights.com/news/202...for-2020-big-ten-wrestling-championships.aspx

Hopefully during the final seeding, Nic A. can get moved up to #7 away from Spencer Lee (Nic beat the #6 Pre-Seed from NU)

Riveria being #5 at 133 when he wrestled in 1 conference dual is a joke. He's actually 1-2 vs. conference opponents with 2 losses at Midlands to Gross and Piotrowski (Inj)

His talent and ability is unquestioned but you can't reward people for not wrestling all regular season regardless of the reason.

Last edited:
Riveria being #5 at 133 when he wrestled in 1 conference dual is a joke. He's actually 1-2 vs. conference opponents with 2 losses at Midlands to Gross and Piotrowski (Inj)

I hear ya, i would rather Alvarez face RBY over DeSanto.
I want the seeds not to change (At least #2 and #7)
I think DeSanto is a very hard match up the 1st time you face him.

Reactions: jerzey devil

His talent and ability is unquestioned but you can't reward people for not wrestling all regular season regardless of the reason.

On the flipside imagine having a solid year and earn a good seed and you get a guy like SeaBass in the first round because he gets a low seed.

Reactions: obrats

Seabass earned his seed. Don’t penalize a kid for being injured. Our guys need to perform and not receive special treatment

Reactions: Jersey Boys
Seabass earned his seed. Don’t penalize a kid for being injured. Our guys need to perform and not receive special treatment

The seeds aren't a lifetime achievement award, he did nothing to earn his seed in the 2019 - 2020 B1G season. If anything, he is receiving special treatment.. not the other way around. Being injured is a part of the game and if you allow people to wrestle in 1 conference dual all season and still receive a top/high seed you are completely devaluing the regular season.

The seeds aren't a lifetime achievement award, he did nothing to earn his seed in the 2019 - 2020 B1G season. If anything, he is receiving special treatment.. not the other way around. Being injured is a part of the game and if you allow people to wrestle in 1 conference dual all season and still receive a top/high seed you are completely devaluing the regular season.
No criteria at all in big 10 seeding it's all a coaches vote.Have seen a 1 seed with 0-0 record at the bigs so nothing surprises me

On the flipside imagine having a solid year and earn a good seed and you get a guy like SeaBass in the first round because he gets a low seed.

I see both points. You don’t want to penalize the top seeds but there’s wrestlebacks for a reason. If you’re the 2-seed and get Rivera in the first or 2nd round, we’ll you’re a 2-seed. Go beat him. You have to beat him at some point anyway.

At the same time, Rivera bumped up a weight class so we really don’t know what he is at 133 yet. I also don’t like how Rivera is ahead of Alvarez, as Alvarez has beaten some legitimate kids this year. If you want to put Rivera just behind him as a legacy award, I’d be fine with it as there is a significant drop off from Alvarez to the next best guy. To put him in front of someone with as good a resume as Alvarez just tells me the regular season is extremely meaningless.

Rutgers has several wrestlers seeded just outside the final automatic qualifying seeding. I'm going into this weekend thinking optimistically, and looking forward to a few of our guys wrestling a level just a few slots above their seedings, and having a great time at the RAC. I hope Esposito can surprise and find a way to get an AQ bid.

A lot of people are a little bummed that we were 1 year off from Ashnault and Suriano winning in their home building. Personally I think it’s better we host this year, as I feel the home mat advantage can push many of these bubble kids into qualifying for nationals.

Rutgers has several wrestlers seeded just outside the final automatic qualifying seeding. I'm going into this weekend thinking optimistically, and looking forward to a few of our guys wrestling a level just a few slots above their seedings, and having a great time at the RAC. I hope Esposito can surprise and find a way to get an AQ bid.

Esposito will have to have the tourney of his life. He has not been competitive against the top tier heavyweights. If seed hold he gets the PSU hevay who pinned him earlier.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT