ADVERTISEMENT

Question about when a player enters the portal

29PAS

Senior
Gold Member
Sep 21, 2001
When somebody enters the portal, do they lose all their athletic department privileges, get barred from the practice facilities/weight rooms, are they not allowed in pickup games/informal workouts with guys on the team (or visa versa)? I'm guessing most continue with classes but lose access to tutors, etc. Just curious.

Reactions: RedTeam1994
They complete the semester and probably keep the academic support otherwise that would be a PR nightmare. As far as access to facilities that may depend on how they've parted from the program. At worse they would workout in the regular student areas.

When somebody enters the portal, do they lose all their athletic department privileges, get barred from the practice facilities/weight rooms, are they not allowed in pickup games/informal workouts with guys on the team (or visa versa)? I'm guessing most continue with classes but lose access to tutors, etc. Just curious.

They complete the semester and probably keep the academic support otherwise that would be a PR nightmare. As far as access to facilities that may depend on how they've parted from the program. At worse they would workout in the regular student areas.

It’s a good question.

Your answer makes sense - continue to support the student but freeze out the athlete .

Sounds fair to me . But does anyone have any actual knowledge?

That does make sense. It could also be dependent on the coach, school and circumstances of the departure!

Reactions: Eagleton96
I'd assume generally they keep all privileges just because coaches are smart enough to not want to seem petty or burn bridges.

Reactions: Greene Rice FIG
What are players doing now anyway?
Aren’t there rules on practice time and coaching time?

Since some players might want to return to their original team after testing the waters, it would seem that they would not be cut off.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT