Basketball RECAP/VIDEO: Rutgers defeats Clemson 74-64

Richie O

Hall of Famer
Staff
Mar 21, 2016
South Amboy, NJ
Last edited:
Reactions: jordkap
This is a kind of obvious thing to say, but it is interesting that our main coaches (football, men's basketball, women's basketball) are all defense-first coaches. Fans tend to prefer watching offense, but the coaches think that it's defense that wins games.

I've never bought into the notion that defense wins games. It's too simplistic. You need offense and defense. And the combination of the two result in how much you win. Now, over time, sports in general have altered their rules to create more offense. If anything, that has increased the importance of offenses.

If you score more than your opponent you win. You need offense. Great defense obviously makes it easier to win, but you still have to score to win.

Reactions: bac2therac
Defense is more controllable and is about desire. Offense is about making plays which is more variable. That’s why they focus on it.
You said this way better than I ever could. We sucked so bad when he arrived he needed to hang his hat on something and elite offensive talent wasn't banging on our door. That said, we did have a few guys who could score a bit at the time- just not enough of them.

How do none of the reporters ask Ron about his back or how long does Pike expect Geo out?
Probably because they know they will get nothing out of him due to privacy restrictions. I also don't think Pike wants to tip his hand that he has a wounded player out there for other teams to exploit.

Defense-first is a sound strategy. Defense is largely just EFFORT and the base athleticism that schollie athletes all have.

Consider Big Cliff... amazing athlete... a shot blocker.. who got ZERO blocks this game. To me that showed a COACHING effort to get him to focus on REBOUNDS.. it worked. He had one foul and got more PT than has been usual.

There were other coaching changes to this game. Now, I am not expert on basketball but I see a lot of Rutgers basketball. The main change in this game was to return to the offense of last year and the year before. More transition, more ISO stuff.

The way I saw it, Pike had 3 options before this game seeing what had happened early season...

1) continue in the half-court offense plan with the people he had

2) go to a motion offense (think high posts and backdoor cuts)

3) return to last year's transition and ISO in half-court offense.

I think what we saw was a mix of 3 and 1. That is.. first try to go transition off turnovers.. then when stuck in half-court go ISO with some half-court sets with some screens.

And for this game.. knowing the size advantage and Clemson's poor rebounding and top 3-point shooting... Pike had the guys hit the boards on offense and really push the three point line on defense.

This was a well-coached game.. though I would have liked to see Pike get a T for some of those missed travels and other issues with the refs. Though, really, watching some of the Indiana-Syracuse game during timeouts.. man.. those refs were far worse.. some severe double dribbles in open court completely missed. Insane non-calls (Indiana had the repeat offender in this regard.. something I will keep an eye on when we play em).

Probably because they know they will get nothing out of him due to privacy restrictions. I also don't think Pike wants to tip his hand that he has a wounded player out there for other teams to exploit.
Ron looked like he was in pain the entire 2nd half against UMass. Not himself. I worry that this will impact him the rest of the season but he came up big last night. Guy is a warrior. Hope and pray he can manage the pain.

Ron looked like he was in pain the entire 2nd half against UMass. Not himself. I worry that this will impact him the rest of the season but he came up big last night. Guy is a warrior. Hope and pray he can manage the pain.
He looked worse against Lafayette....could be that I saw him in person vs. TV.

I notice when they come out during the second half he has something on his back and he goes under the stands to loosen up or receive treatment before joining the team for warm-ups.

I guess he was actually thinking of redshirting Miller

The plan was for Miller to redshirt up until last weekend. I’m guessing Geo will be out a little longer than originally thought. Hence why the Miller redshirt was burned.
It was really good to see him out there. I thought he played defense very well. We could have used him in those endgame situations where we lost.

Reactions: ouchmyknee
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT