ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball RHoops remains ranked 24th, future schedule unknown

Plus FOUR teams (Iowa, Wisky, Illini, Spartans) in the top 10! Michigan dropped out but us and Ohio stayed in the top 25....the B1G is still well represented!

Gotta crush the Orange!!!!

A little deceptive to just say we hold at #24. We picked up 62 votes (252 up from 190) and there’s more consolidation of votes among the top 25 (team 26 this week has 90 vs 146 last week - meaning more votes are spread across the top 25. More consensus, in other words). One more data point - we’re now 111 votes out from #20 - in the preseason poll, we were 185 votes out. So . . . better. Frankly, a fair result beating three mid-majors / low-majors.

St John’s is now open this late week/weekend per Zags

I took Pike’s postgame statements to mean we have options (“getting calls all the time”) and are taking our time. I don’t think this issue here is we can’t get someone to play with us.

I would think Pike would want a team better than Hofstra but not as good as Syracuse, to continue to ramp up difficulty and the progression of the freshmen.

Pikiell wants cupcakes to pad the record until big ten starts. This is what he does. A lot of cupcakes, 1 decent major game then big 10. The best part about this year is we won’t play a D3 team which is always a joke.

Pikiell wants cupcakes to pad the record until big ten starts. This is what he does. A lot of cupcakes, 1 decent major game then big 10. The best part about this year is we won’t play a D3 team which is always a joke.
How quickly you forget Rutgers was supposed to play Baylor in the Jimmy V Classic and Villanova in the Gavitt Games. Hell, Oregon was a late pick-up that fell through at the last minute and SHU backed out. Only Syracuse remains. I wouldn't call that a p*ssy schedule. And now you're talking about a beast of a conference schedule on top of that. Be realistic man.

Covid has changed the game. Most teams are sticking close to home. In Rutgers' case, most local teams are mid-majors. Hence, the reason St. John's is being tossed around.

I love pikiell as much as anyone but over his five years the only non big ten major conference teams he will have played is seton hall(4x) miami(2x), DePaul, Florida state, St. John’s, Pitt and Syracuse. Not the toughest of schedules.

Again I love pikiell but don’t tell me he plays a tough non conference schedule. I understand why he does it but don’t tell me it is tough.

Reactions: Local Shill
I love pikiell as much as anyone but over his five years the only non big ten major conference teams he will have played is seton hall(4x) miami(2x), DePaul, Florida state, St. John’s, Pitt and Syracuse. Not the toughest of schedules.

Again I love pikiell but don’t tell me he plays a tough non conference schedule. I understand why he does it but don’t tell me it is tough.
Bc he took over the worst P5 team in the country and played in the best conference in the country. We now are good and would have played a much tougher OOC schedule this year.

Bc he took over the worst P5 team in the country and played in the best conference in the country. We now are good and would have played a much tougher OOC schedule this year.
Don't waste your time. Some people will never change. They are not willing to step back and view the entire situation. Once they make up their mind, it's set in stone for good.

Last edited:
A regional team in the kenpom 75-120 range would be good right now, imo. Tick up the difficulty a bit for the freshmen before making the leap up from Hofstra to Syracuse. Davidson (77), Boston College (78), Rhode Island (82), Georgetown (85), Vermont (91), Duquesne (92), Pittsburgh (97), George Mason (116).... just some possibilities in that range.

We don't have a real OOC season this year to play a wider range of teams and styles, with some pushovers to workshop things and some challenges to give more conference-level experience. There are just 4 (and potentially 5 or 6) games, and a steady ramp up before conference play could work to our advantage (especially for the freshmen, but also to build chemistry with progressively tougher opponents).

Do waste your time. Some people will never change. They are not willing to step back and view the entire situation. Once they make up their mind, it's set in stone for good.
Lol which is you in this situation as you can't seem to admit the OOC schedule would have been significantly tougher this season without COVID. Projecting.

Lol which is you in this situation as you can't seem to admit the OOC schedule would have been significantly tougher this season without COVID. Projecting.
I meant to say "DON'T" waste your time trying to explain to others. I agree with what you said. Damn you fat thumbs when typing.

Reactions: Scangg
Don't waste your time. Some people will never change. They are not willing to step back and view the entire situation. Once they make up their mind, it's set in stone for good.
What? No way. Nobody is like that ever. And I won't hear another word about it.

• Haha
Reactions: cubuffsdoug
Why is Pikiell so reluctant to schedule a decent non-conference game? Games are being scheduled and re-scheduled on the fly this year and RU is content to play the Sacred Hearts and FDUs of the world....the Big 10 mandated Syracuse so he doesn't get credit for that.
If I were an RU hoops fan, I'd be infuriated especially since the team is halfway decent this year.

Reactions: bac2therac
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT