ADVERTISEMENT

RIP Ron Mazzola

DUForever

Freshman
Mar 11, 2016
Just saw that Ron passed away suddenly this morning. Did a great job for many years as the Rutgers Wrestling PA announcer and seemed to be involved in wrestling at every level. A truly good guy. RIP Ron.

Last edited:
Growing up in Middlesex County, from my early rec days to sitting in the stands after graduating college and hearing that familiar voice, Ron Mazzola was always there. His impact on wrestling and sports in general cannot be overstated.

Rutgers wrestling coach Scott Goodale said, “Ron was a huge ambassador for the sport of wrestling in the state of New Jersey and really the face of GMC and Region 5 wrestling. He was an incredible supporter of Rutgers wrestling. He was a season ticket holder, and at one point, the public address announcer at our home matches. He will be sorely missed. My thoughts and prayers are with his family.”

Had the pleasure of knowing Ron for over 30 years. We went to the same HS (he was a few years older than me) and he helped me a lot when I was coaching the Old Bridge Mat Rats. We worked the Old Bridge Wrestling Festival many years together.

Ron’s passing will be a big loss to Old Bridge sports as well as to other towns across New Jersey. Ron was working real hard and doing great with getting his health back over the past year so very sad to hear of his passing. Will be greatly missed by me and so many others.

Reactions: GantryZ
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT