ADVERTISEMENT

Ron Harper Jr. - NBA Raptors

silentwillie

Junior
Gold Member
Feb 4, 2004
For those not following Ron’s season, he’s been on Raptors active roster for about 10 days, seeing end-game time in 3 of their last 5 games. Had 2 assists and a steal in 4 minutes last night. Has now played in 7 games, while on the Raptors bench in about double that many. More time on the NBA level than I anticipated as an undrafted player (even on the 2-way contract), and hopefully Ron continues to develop and work his way into a more active role in the future. While on the G League level, Ron’s role seemed to transition from a spot shooter to more of a point forward, with many more assists more recently, including a triple double.

Ron's G-League team missed the playoffs so he's been up with the Raptors.
Actually better off not making the playoffs.

His triple double was a little of an outlier I think. They had a ton of people injured.

Will be interesting what happens next year. Does he get another 2-way with Raptors?
Others from the 905 team played many more games for the Raptors (Dowtin, Koloko and Banton). Ron never made the Raptors for an extended period of time.

Ron's G-League team missed the playoffs so he's been up with the Raptors.
Actually better off not making the playoffs.

His triple double was a little of an outlier I think. They had a ton of people injured.

Will be interesting what happens next year. Does he get another 2-way with Raptors?
Others from the 905 team played many more games for the Raptors (Dowtin, Koloko and Banton). Ron never made the Raptors for an extended period of time.
I’d imagine at worst he will stick around on the minor league club. He seemingly has played well for them.

I’d imagine at worst he will stick around on the minor league club. He seemingly has played well for them.

I wonder if he can jump to a different team - maybe someone rebuilding with more available minutes.

Or maybe Raptors blow it up anyway and they go young - rumors are Nick Nurse may be on way out?

It looks like he had a solid season in the G League. I’d see highlights of his all the time on twitter

Reactions: Yeah Baby
Nick Nurse is exceptional but time for them to part

He should do studio for year or two, recharge, then somebody will throw lot of money at him

Reactions: MiloTalon13
You guys would know this better than me, so I'll ask: does it make more sense for a player to be in the G league or to sign to play abroad? Do players try the first and then do the second when there seems no prospect of sticking in the NBA?

Played 22 minutes today. 10 points and 4 rebounds.
Good stuff. RHJ is a unique player. Did a lot of different things for RU which we all should appreciate and now branching out onto new roles in the G league and the NBA. Good for him. One thing he can do no matter what his role is to score points and pull rebounds amongst much taller players.

The last weekend of the season is always wild.
Teams resting starters and role players going off.
Cam Thomas scored another 40+ pts for the Nets.

Interesting note about the Raptors and RHJ: then other 2 way contract player Dowtin has been ineligible for the past couple of games.
He already hit his "active for 50 games" limit. That's why he didn't play along with RHJ.

You guys would know this better than me, so I'll ask: does it make more sense for a player to be in the G league or to sign to play abroad? Do players try the first and then do the second when there seems no prospect of sticking in the NBA?
More money can be made overseas, but for a guy like Ron it makes sense to stay on the 2 way contract with the hope of being upgraded down the line

More money can be made overseas, but for a guy like Ron it makes sense to stay on the 2 way contract with the hope of being upgraded down the line
Thanks! It does make sense for him to stay here so long as he has a realistic shot of being in the NBA. In effect, he's sacrificing income now in the hope of having greater income later as an NBA player. And of course there's nothing more prestigious than being an NBA player.

I don't know what any of this means, but way to go Ron.

At the end of the season, as teams are locked into making the playoffs and even into specific seeds - they "empty the bench" and start resting players.
RHJ benefited and has played in a couple games for Raptors.

This gets even greater in the last game of the season. For example RHJ played 22min and scored 10pts.
Former Rutgers commit Mac McClung played 30min and scored 22pts against the Nets for the Sixers.

Regular season is over so that also ends RHJs season. He won't be on the playoff roster.

At the end of the season, as teams are locked into making the playoffs and even into specific seeds - they "empty the bench" and start resting players.
RHJ benefited and has played in a couple games for Raptors.

This gets even greater in the last game of the season. For example RHJ played 22min and scored 10pts.
Former Rutgers commit Mac McClung played 30min and scored 22pts against the Nets for the Sixers.

Regular season is over so that also ends RHJs season. He won't be on the playoff roster.

Yea that I get, I just don't always get the two way contracts and all that bullshit

Yea that I get, I just don't always get the two way contracts and all that bullshit

Ok.
Baseball fan? They are AAAA players.
Basically a PWO for the actual NBA team.

Teams are allowed 15 players under contract. Plus two 2-way (G-League <-> NBA) players.

NBA teams can call up anyone on any G-League team EXCEPT 2way contract guys. Those guys are tied to their NBA team (only Raptors can call up RHJ).

They are only allowed to be active for 50 NBA games (not play in - just active on the bench). The other Raptor with the same contract hit his limit of 50 active games. RHJ did not.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT