ADVERTISEMENT

Roster is up

Getting there and now things are starting to come together for CW as she builds the program up from the way it looked when she first arrived

No a single NJ name on the roster…

Mali
Texas
NC
PA
NH
…among others…hope she is able to re-invigorate the NJ pipeline…
Actually, Antonia Bates is a Jersey girl who moved to Pa. as a youngster before moving back for her senior year in HS.

We also have to be thrilled that Kaylene Smikle, a NY native, and Philly area HS star, chose RU also.

Hopefully, they are just the start of what will quickly become a renewed interest on the part of local players with RUWBB.

Last edited:
Reactions: runrutgersrun
5 Guards, 1 Forward and 2 Guard/Forward.
I don't think we'll be leading the league in O & D Rebounding.
Not sure we'd beat any B1G teams even if we shot 75% for the game.
Chyna is 6’3 no? The question is how much she has learned in two years.

what would go a long way is signing a Tekia Mack, Osh Brown who are solid rebounders and defenders. Not asking for Candace Parker here but there should be a
girl or two with the specific skills we are seeking. I thought I saw over 1000 names still out there so technically possible.

in limited views even though Awa is 5’11 she boxes out well, fights, and gets her rebounds.
Antonia is similar not a high scorer but a vague memory of her stats were 10ppg, 5-6 rpg, 5 assists and 2.5 steals. She is a minimum of 6-1
Not sure what to expect of Kai Carter but I suspect she, Smirkle and Awa provide the scoring everyone else bangs the boards

Erica as a freshman was defense first so not sure where she fits. But fit she will.
Streeter is a streak shooter who may fit well in 4-5 minute increments

any way last year terrible year was more clarified at year end. They played everyone tough for 3 1/2 quarters and I feel rather than see this team will be better, or at a minimum, more consistant

nicki/ Tasha for Tim should be worth 5 points a gamer

Roster is better than it was before and should be adding players soon.
( nothing known about additions, just my opinion players will be added)

what would go a long way is signing a Tekia Mack, Osh Brown who are solid rebounders and defenders. Not asking for Candace Parker here but there should be a
girl or two with the specific skills we are seeking. I thought I saw over 1000 names still out there so technically possible.

in limited views even though Awa is 5’11 she boxes out well, fights, and gets her rebounds.
Antonia is similar not a high scorer but a vague memory of her stats were 10ppg, 5-6 rpg, 5 assists and 2.5 steals. She is a minimum of 6-1
Not sure what to expect of Kai Carter but I suspect she, Smirkle and Awa provide the scoring everyone else bangs the boards

Erica as a freshman was defense first so not sure where she fits. But fit she will.

any way last year terrible year was more clarified at year end. They played everyone tough for 3 1/2 quarters and I feel rather than see this team will be better, or at a minimum, more consistant

Funny you should mention Tekia Mack. She still has a year of eligibility and is available in the portal. I wanted to mention her a while back but decided against it because of the way things ended with that group of players. It may be best for both sides to leave it at that and continue to move on. I do hope she finds a place to play her extra year.

I think Awa and Kai are going to have to be that undersized rebounder and defender that Osh and Tekia were. Chyna is definitely going to need more help at center. We have to find more height and bulk at the 5 spot. A player the size of, say.................6'5"......uhhh, yea, like SAKIMA!

Add in one more 6'3" or taller player for depth in the post and we're set down there. Then Antonia can breathe a sigh of relief. lol I think it will be a tough go for her to defend in the post against the good teams. She needs time to get stronger and looks more like a wing player right now, IMO. At 6'3" now, who knows where she will stop......6'4,..6'5". May be patterning her game after Dewanna Bonner, Stewie, Jonquel J, or Candace Parker. A lot of blueprints to work towards.

Just from the PA State Ch. game that I watched, Smikle looks like she's not afraid to mix it up in the paint. Has good size (actually, as tall or taller than Osh).

Reactions: runrutgersrun

Roster , remember with spots to fill, is comparable to Penn State when it comes to size
2021-22 Women's Basketball Roster - Penn State University Athletics
https://gopsusports.com/sports/womens-basketball/roster

Closer to what? The edge of a cliff? 😉
But that cliff looked more like a mountain top just a little while ago.
Maybe we can consider the program is now starting to get on even ground , leveling the playing field a bit when it comes to getting the players needed to compete

Reactions: RULoyal
Tis a long , long way to Tipperary . HC will need to shore up this current roster an$ work to improve the on floor product. Has Rutgers officially named a full list of her assistant coaching staff members? Those assistants will be the key to a successful rebuild.

Tis a long , long way to Tipperary . HC will need to shore up this current roster an$ work to improve the on floor product. Has Rutgers officially named a full list of her assistant coaching staff members? Those assistants will be the key to a successful rebuild.
I couldn't find anything about who was hired as CW's assistants, except on this board.
The official Rutgers site has only the HC and support staff listed .
Along with a 8 player roster.

I heard ( on this board) that the assistants will be officially named on July 1st
For the life of me I can't understand why the media hasn't found out who was hired, or even expected to be hired, and reported about it already , if it's a done deal

I couldn't find anything about who was hired as CW's assistants, except on this board.
The official Rutgers site has only the HC and support staff listed .
Along with a 8 player roster.

I heard ( on this board) that the assistants will be officially named on July 1st
For the life of me I can't understand why the media hasn't found out who was hired, or even expected to be hired, and reported about it already , if it's a done deal
What’s the reason for the July 1 announcement?

Maybe we can consider the program is now starting to get on even ground , leveling the playing field a bit when it comes to getting the players needed to compete
Simplistic response by me. Do. A NIL deal with Hannah Hildago and sign ( I don’t remember name) of a 6-5 center from central. South Jersey
And you are looking pretty good for 2023

Funny you should mention Tekia Mack. She still has a year of eligibility and is available in the portal. I wanted to mention her a while back but decided against it because of the way things ended with that group of players. It may be best for both sides to leave it at that and continue to move on. I do hope she finds a place to play her extra year.

Where did you see that? I thought she had a career-ending injury at DePaul.

I, for one, would LOVE to see her back.

Reactions: DennisHajekRC84
Where did you see that? I thought she had a career-ending injury at DePaul.

I, for one, would LOVE to see her back.
I think it is fair to say she probably had an injury, but there was disagreement about whether or not it was career ending. At least, that matches what was reported around the time.

I would imagine that DePaul has moved on without her.

I think Awa and Kai are going to have to be that undersized rebounder and defender that Osh and Tekia were. Chyna is definitely going to need more help at center. We have to find more height and bulk at the 5 spot. A player the size of, say.................6'5"......uhhh, yea, like SAKIMA!

Add in one more 6'3" or taller player for depth in the post and we're set down there. Then Antonia can breathe a sigh of relief. lol I think it will be a tough go for her to defend in the post against the good teams. She needs time to get stronger and looks more like a wing player right now, IMO. At 6'3" now, who knows where she will stop......6'4,..6'5". May be patterning her game after Dewanna Bonner, Stewie, Jonquel J, or Candace Parker. A lot of blueprints to work towards.

Just from the PA State Ch. game that I watched, Smikle looks like she's not afraid to mix it up in the paint. Has good size (actually, as tall or taller than Osh).
I would doubt sincerely if she grows another 1-2” going forward . Most men players are generally done growing by 19-20 . Women less likely.

I've seen Bates play half dozen times she's a wing and doesn't like to play in the paint

A local girl we should recruit is Taylor Derkack, will be a junior at Colonia. Some here played with her dad. Big body who might grow more, and guard vision, good handle. Her offers are starting to come in.

What’s the reason for the July 1 announcement?
beats me and a question I should have asked when I seen that post saying July 1st would be when the two assistants were officially announced.
edit: found the July 1st reason in the Tasha thread and posted a reply just now

Last edited:
In a heartbeat. Just for the effort and attitude.
Don’t understand why anyone would ask for t- Mack to come back. She was one of the reasons that lead to the dysfunction of the 2020-21 season. She was the alpha that forced diamond out the door

Reactions: Scarlettrooper
Don’t understand why anyone would ask for t- Mack to come back. She was one of the reasons that lead to the dysfunction of the 2020-21 season. She was the alpha that forced diamond out the door
Diamond left after T Mack did no?
Diamond isn't here anymore, right?
It's a season in need of players. She was a player. A 1 year plug. Simple as that.

Diamond left after T Mack did no?
Diamond isn't here anymore, right?
It's a season in need of players. She was a player. A 1 year plug. Simple as that.
Diamond was gone way before she entered the portal. The so called “leaders”’on the team did not treat her very well. The stories that have been told was T was a cancer in the locker room both at RU and at DePaul. When you are trying to instill a culture not sure she would be my first choice.

T-mack had passion but many times got in the way of her playing to her potential.

Diamond was gone way before she entered the portal. The so called “leaders”’on the team did not treat her very well. The stories that have been told was T was a cancer in the locker room both at RU and at DePaul. When you are trying to instill a culture not sure she would be my first choice.

T-mack had passion but many times got in the way of her playing to her potential.
Ok. I'll trust your insights. I was not aware of these concerns. When I met her at an event with some other players alll seemed great. but I also remember that accidental incident with the ref due to her sometimes over the top behavior.

I had no idea she was toxic in the locker room (if that is even true); but, from a fan's perspective, IMO, she was the most fun to watch play since Erica.

We all have our experiences and I did sit near the bench.
Diamond had little interest in playing defense and Tekia and Mael were on her constantly. She went to Viv and complained and Viv sided with tekia.

is that not what a leader, captain should be doing?? Perhaps your insight is much better but being bullied is quite strong.

…or the plane is screaming “terrain! Pull up!”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT