ADVERTISEMENT

RU FB assistant coaches extended

Great and proactice news.

But but I thought the AD is in the red and can't afford any additional expenses??

That's the cry whenever players getting paid directly by school's comes up.
Guess the AD isn't as broke as people claim?

Red Wine Ugh GIF by Married At First Sight

But but I thought the AD is in the red and can't afford any additional expenses??

RU is saving $1.5 million/year by not having an AD. Relax.
Not sure if you are connecting any dots with this one. Coaches have existed for years. Paid players is a new phenomenon.

Flaherty coached with the the Gipper - has two Super Bowl titles with Giants.
He made a dramatic turn around with RU OL (see Urban Meyer clip).
Of course he was going to be getting juicy offers better than the 350k he was getting.
For me he was most valuable RU coach not named GS
Our assistant school superintendents make 235k and the school is bad.
Glad RU is proactive here

Last edited:
Good to hear and great to have Flaherty on the books for another year - MVC.

What AD?

Old news. These contracts were signed months ago.

Flaherty 8/1/24
Butler 7/31/24
Lascari 5/13/24

Many others also snagged big new deals.

Sports coaches wage bill up 39% in two years. Hobbs made a lot of people comfortable on his way out.

RU is saving $1.5 million/year by not having an AD. Relax.
Not sure if you are connecting any dots with this one. Coaches have existed for years. Paid players is a new phenomenon.
I certainly wouldn't presume to speak for him, but I took AD to mean the athletic department as a whole, not the athletic director as an individual.

Reactions: NickRU714
Old news. These contracts were signed months ago.

Flaherty 8/1/24
Butler 7/31/24
Lascari 5/13/24

Many others also snagged big new deals.

Sports coaches wage bill up 39% in two years. Hobbs made a lot of people comfortable on his way out.

Yeah but weren’t these contracts signed months ago ?
I don’t know. Ask the reporter who wrote the article. Jesus Christ

Reactions: Plum Street
I don’t know. Ask the reporter who wrote the article. Jesus Christ

I looked up Flaherty last season and he was making 350k which I thought was cheap.

"Rutgers signed offensive line coach Patrick Flaherty to a two-year contract worth a total of $750,000 in salary on March 2nd, according to an offer letter obtained by NJ Advance Media via an open records request. He is set to make $350,000 during the 2023 season, his first as a member of the Scarlet Knights’ staff.

It is a slightly decrease to what his predecessor was scheduled to make; Augie Hoffman was set to earn $375,000 in the 2023 season prior to leaving the program this offseason."

Then his existing/initial contract saw him set to make 400k in 2024 (350k + 400k = 750k). So his salary bump was arranged in 2023. In August (not really "months ago") the salary for 2024 was bumped to 450k (500k in 2025) plus 25k "retention bonus."

KC terms set to go up to 1.4m, Brock to 550k, Harasymiak to 1.25 so Flaherty still Mr Cheapie compared to his results. If Coach Flaherty went away I would cry in the shower. Coach "Third Year is for Mastery" not at all.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT