ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers 2024 RB’s. Best in Big 10 ?

I've read quite a few RB rankings. On Monangai, they usually gush over his yds per carry and doing it despite being the sole focus of the offense, with one of the worst passing games in all of FBS. However, in most of them he gets dinged for only having 8 TD's. I think that's disingenuous as the coaching staff gave the lion's share of those 2 yd and in's to Wimsatt.

I've read quite a few RB rankings. On Monangai, they usually gush over his yds per carry and doing it despite being the sole focus of the offense, with one of the worst passing games in all of FBS. However, in most of them he gets dinged for only having 8 TD's. I think that's disingenuous as the coaching staff gave the lion's share of those 2 yd and in's to Wimsatt.

Wow - you may be right. If that’s the reason, then yeah, Kyle is vastly underrated.

That would be a terrible metric to measure rushing ability. For perspective - Gavin had 6 one yard TDs. Most of those (if not all) were with a fresh set of downs. Taking the Miami game as an example - it took Gavin 3 tries to punch the first TD in from the one yard line. He got 3 straight carries. His second TD took 2 tries. If you give Kyle (or any RB for that matter) a fresh set of downs to pick up one yard they will probably do it.

By the way, in addition to those 6 one yard TDs, Wimsatt also padded that stat with 2 rushing TDs in the Wagner game (again, Kyle could’ve run for as many as he wanted in that game- meaningless).

KM was hurt by the lack of TD's- I do think that OSU's guy may have a bit more superstar in him. But any person/player/coach/announcer that has faced KM- they will tell you he is as good as it gets.
And I think the team rating was affected by the uncertainty with respect to Brown

KM rarely was given the ball from the 5 yard line going in, it was usually GW who got that call. If we fed KM I think we scored 3-5 more TDs last season, and it changes the perception on him quite a bit.

RU is far from a lock to score from the 2 in the red zone.
How many times have we seen 3 stuffs and then the FG?
GW's strength and the rugby maul helped RU in red zone.
Wimsatt could take solid hits and keep upright and pushing.
He had 2 TDs in 4 games.
With Mongo every defense assumed he would get the ball so they were ready.
As for passing - things were weak there.
Obviously TE might help but oh no cant have that!

Q7Q6jwp.gif

Wow - you may be right. If that’s the reason, then yeah, Kyle is vastly underrated.

That would be a terrible metric to measure rushing ability. For perspective - Gavin had 6 one yard TDs. Most of those (if not all) were with a fresh set of downs. Taking the Miami game as an example - it took Gavin 3 tries to punch the first TD in from the one yard line. He got 3 straight carries. His second TD took 2 tries. If you give Kyle (or any RB for that matter) a fresh set of downs to pick up one yard they will probably do it.

By the way, in addition to those 6 one yard TDs, Wimsatt also padded that stat with 2 rushing TDs in the Wagner game (again, Kyle could’ve run for as many as he wanted in that game- meaningless).
Kyle should have gotten credit for the tush push of Gavin.

Henderson is one of the best backs I’ve seen in quite a while IMO

He single handily beat us last year.

He had 2 TDs in 4 games.

Q7Q6jwp.gif

You do realize that the game you linked is not one of the games Gavin scored 2 TDs in right? Take a look at those 4 games and then circle back with a straight face and say Kyle wouldn’t have punched it in.

To get those 2 TDs in the Miami game gavin got 5 carry attempts from the one yard line (not the 2). That’s not exactly something for anyone to brag about.

Another 2 TD game was vs. Wagner. I’m sure you agree that any runner on the team could’ve scored as many TDs as they wanted in that game.

Indiana - Gavin stood out with some big plays in this game, but Indiana couldn’t stop Kyle either. He wasn’t as explosive, but he didn’t need to be. Kyle grinded out over 100 yards picking up 3+ yards or a first down on every carry except one (he picked up 2 there). So yeah - I’m pretty sure he would’ve been able to punch it in from the one with 3 chances.

The last game Gavin had 2 TDs was in garbage time of the Maryland game debacle.

We get it. You impressed by Gavin’s running. I don’t agree but I can understand liking the idea of a highly mobile QB. Let’s be clear here though - a mobile QB was not required for any of these 8 TD runs I’ve described. Any mediocre RB was likely to get into the end zone on all of them except maybe Maryland. I don’t remember those plays that well as it’s a game I’d sooner forget. The play by play says they were one yard rushes on fresh sets of downs.

Reactions: Wagram97
You do realize that the game you linked is not one of the games Gavin scored 2 TDs in right? Take a look at those 4 games and then circle back with a straight face and say Kyle wouldn’t have punched it in.

To get those 2 TDs in the Miami game gavin got 5 carry attempts from the one yard line (not the 2). That’s not exactly something for anyone to brag about.

Another 2 TD game was vs. Wagner. I’m sure you agree that any runner on the team could’ve scored as many TDs as they wanted in that game.

Indiana - Gavin stood out with some big plays in this game, but Indiana couldn’t stop Kyle either. He wasn’t as explosive, but he didn’t need to be. Kyle grinded out over 100 yards picking up 3+ yards or a first down on every carry except one (he picked up 2 there). So yeah - I’m pretty sure he would’ve been able to punch it in from the one with 3 chances.

The last game Gavin had 2 TDs was in garbage time of the Maryland game debacle.

We get it. You impressed by Gavin’s running. I don’t agree but I can understand liking the idea of a highly mobile QB. Let’s be clear here though - a mobile QB was not required for any of these 8 TD runs I’ve described. Any mediocre RB was likely to get into the end zone on all of them except maybe Maryland. I don’t remember those plays that well as it’s a game I’d sooner forget. The play by play says they were one yard rushes on fresh sets of downs.

When you're a one horse offense, the defense on goal is hard to beat with the runner everyone expects. Goal line field is very short and hard to score on. Michigan could do it with all 5 OL being All-B1G. RU couldn't do it.

I don't really track the score and games considering the big picture.
Wimsatt scored 11 rushing TDs in a season vs powerful B1G conference teams (AK has 2 rushing TDs in 23)

Looking back...

Teel had 2 total rushing TDs in 4 years.
Nova had 4 total TDs rushing in 4 years
Sanu had 9 total TDs rushing in 3 years
Savage had 1 rushing TD in 2 years
Vedral had 4 rushing TDs in 3 years
Pacheco had 7 rushing TDs in his best year (2019)

No RU QBs/RBs have been prolific scoring rushing TDs (never mind on goal) since Rice's 24 in 2007
Wimsatt having 11 rushing TDs (and 2 in 4 games) is pretty far ahead of the others despite playing much better defenses.
Other players also had "garbage times" to score (Norfolk, Morgan St, Howard et al)

Add in that GW lead B1G in QB rushing/scoring in 2023 - set RU records.
I understand that people had problems with GW's passing but the hate the kid gets is something I never saw before (at RU).
People got too high on him when new (so many muggles wanted him to start right away) and then they resented him when he wasn't Trevor Lawrence.

Only Sanu could have also done this at QB

Last edited:
Reactions: DirtyRU
When you're a one horse offense, the defense on goal is hard to beat with the runner everyone expects. Goal line field is very short and hard to score on. Michigan could do it with all 5 OL being All-B1G. RU couldn't do it.

I don't really track the score and games considering the big picture.
Wimsatt scored 11 rushing TDs in a season vs powerful B1G conference teams (AK has 2 rushing TDs in 23)

Looking back...

Teel had 2 total rushing TDs in 4 years.
Nova had 4 total TDs rushing in 4 years
Sanu had 9 total TDs rushing in 3 years
Savage had 1 rushing TD in 2 years
Vedral had 4 rushing TDs in 3 years
Pacheco had 7 rushing TDs in his best year (2019)

No RU QBs/RBs have been prolific scoring rushing TDs (never mind on goal) since Rice's 24 in 2007
Wimsatt having 11 rushing TDs (and 2 in 4 games) is pretty far ahead of the others despite playing much better defenses.
Other players also had "garbage times" to score (Norfolk, Morgan St, Howard et al)

Add in that GW lead B1G in QB rushing/scoring in 2023 - set RU records.
I understand that people had problems with GW's passing but the hate the kid gets is something I never saw before (at RU).
People got too high on him when new (so many muggles wanted him to start right away) and then they resented him when he wasn't Trevor Lawrence.

Only Sanu could have also done this at QB

It’s fine to like Gavin. But dude - your just WAY off base on what you just posted. You said you only pay attention to the “big picture” which basically is the post season stat book which says Gavin rushed for 11 TDs - and then you compared that to other guys. I’m reading that right? How could you just toss the circumstances of TDs completely out the window. For starters - the number of 1st and goal opportunities from the 1 yard line isn’t close to the same for each team. In fact, I’d go out on a lim and say that having 6 instances of 1st and goal from the 1 in a season isn’t that common to begin with (getting stopped just shy of the goal line doesn’t happen too often). Gavin was given all 6 of those attempts along with several other tries in the red zone where we ended up kicking field goals. Additionally - in other years where the plan would be to throw more, we wouldn’t have kept the ball on the ground nearly as much in the Wagner stat padding “scrimmage”. Those are 8 of his 11 TDs. We’re not talking about Gavin needing to carve out 2 or 3 yards to find the end zone as you allude in the OSU clip. These were low pressure situations where the ball was right next to the goal line for him with a fresh set of downs.

The other 3 TD rushes were nice plays. The two highlight reel TDs against Indiana and VTech along with another nice 6 yard rush in the NW game. But lumping all 11 into some category of greatness is extremely fuzzy math. The reality is that most QBs and RBs, even a pocket passer, would’ve converted at least 6 of those 8 opportunities. Wagner is a joke. Our line men could rush for TDs against them.

Yeah, Teel got few rushing TDs when his backfield was Brian Leonard and Ray Rice. Huh.... that's weird...

With today's rules, GW running it in from the 1 with KM helping to push him across the line was smart safe play calling. No need to risk the hand-off exchange. But it did limit KM's touchdowns, and that lets an outsider look at KM's stats and come up with an undervaluation.

My only question for him at the next level is his breakaway speed. Power, vision, blocking, good hands... he's the total package other than that one question IMO.

Yeah, Teel got few rushing TDs when his backfield was Brian Leonard and Ray Rice. Huh.... that's weird...

With today's rules, GW running it in from the 1 with KM helping to push him across the line was smart safe play calling. No need to risk the hand-off exchange. But it did limit KM's touchdowns, and that lets an outsider look at KM's stats and come up with an undervaluation.

My only question for him at the next level is his breakaway speed. Power, vision, blocking, good hands... he's the total package other than that one question IMO.

Good post. Its fair to suggest that avoiding any handoff may have been considered the safest play to ensure 7 points from the 1 but that doesn’t change the reality that in all likelihood the outcome of Kyle getting 3 straight rush attempts from the 1 would more often than not result in a touchdown, regardless of the opponent (and none of the attempts we’re talking about were against OSU, Michigan or Penn State types).

He had 2 TDs in 4 games.

Q7Q6jwp.gif
We scored 28 TDs and 10 FGs on 44 red zone trips last season. Puts us middle of the road nationally but about a 10 percent increase from the year before. To answer your questions we kicked 10 field goals inside the red zone. We were 100% scoring in the red zone in our last 3 games last year (6 fg and 11 td on 15 Red zone trips). That puts us 18th nationally for the last 3 games.

Your everyone keying on KM does not make sense because we didnt fake it to KM. We ran QB sneaks for most of our time inside the 5.

We did not have a good TE on the roster last year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT