ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Rutgers Back Into The Top 25

I have mixed feelings about this. Yes, it's deserved, but now we play Iowa on the road and I'd rather the team feel slighted by not being ranked than feeling as if this is well deserved. Yes we have won four in a row but that's after we tanked and lost 5 in a row and 6 out of 7. I knew we would get a lot of votes after beating Minny. I was hoping to get back in the top 25 before we faced Iowa.

Anyway, we can't lose our focus and I would love to steal a victory in Iowa City this Wednesday.

Ranked vs Ranked matchup vs Iowa. Great stuff to see for the program.

More weeks while ranked is better than not. Gets your program on the bottom scroller more often and coverage in the sports programming shows slightly more.

Also after all our years being a non-ranked team, I'll take any week ranked vs not . Team Psyche be damned

I’m not sure how 3 loss Loyola-Chicago deserves to be ranked over a 2 loss Xavier team with a win over #12 Oklahoma.

B1G now has #3, 4, 6, 15, 21, 24, 25. So 7 of the top 25 (28%). 2 #1 seeds. Rutgers still to play #3 and #15.

But sweet to be back in it!

I have mixed feelings as well. I actually thought we would be like 26, 27 or 28 and preferred that we would have just missed. I think it could add extra pressure for us. I hope we can play an outstanding game and keep grinding to move up.

Reactions: RU MAN
I have mixed feelings about this. Yes, it's deserved, but now we play Iowa on the road and I'd rather the team feel slighted by not being ranked than feeling as if this is well deserved. Yes we have won four in a row but that's after we tanked and lost 5 in a row and 6 out of 7. I knew we would get a lot of votes after beating Minny. I was hoping to get back in the top 25 before we faced Iowa.

Anyway, we can't lose our focus and I would love to steal a victory in Iowa City this Wednesday.

I think this team is a bit different -- 25th isn't an accomplishment anymore to them, they've had their sights on bigger and better things. I could see it looking like a huge accomplishment last year (which it was) but they shouldn't be looking at a 25 next to their name and breathing a sigh of relief when they realize they talked up top 5 and top 10 possibilities at the beginning of the year.

Reactions: hiwater and goru7
Rutgers is at a crossroad with 7 league games remaining..The national ranking goes up and down based on recent results.I would hope the players want to be ranked as a sign of success and a possible contributing factor in NCAA selection and seeding.

146780030_10157796249365857_5900036997048787858_o.jpg

Reactions: IL Lusciato
Good to see us at Number 22

Great to be back!

Let's keep it close against Iowa (or steal one) and then take care of business against NW.

I think that would be enough to stay ranked.

Now, if we beat both, I think we crack the top 20

Wish we weren’t.
Such a ridiculous statement . Start getting used to Rutgers being ranked because that will be ongoing. If your sentiment is that when we have a number next to our name we do not win , well that didn’t work when we beat Illinois or Purdue . Some people make these superstitious arguments but it really comes down to making plays. We got into a funk , Coach made a lineup adjustment and Myles has started to dominate and we are playing more inside out and in my opinion do it even more. We have basically won 4 in a row getting almost nothing from Ron and 1 game from Caleb and minimal contributions fro Montez. We have pieces with Geo , Myles , Ron, Montez, Paul and Jacob to actually put it altogether and have all of them playing up to their potential. You haven’t seen our best game yet, although MSU was a complete one ( but maybe discounted because of their Covid break) . Start getting used to Ranked Rutgers playing X y z

The coaches slighted RU so hope that makes you feel better. Get used to it. Rutgers will be a ranked team ongoing which is what you wanted Pike to build and continue building . A number in front of our name is not going to affect the play ongoing. These players have made it known their goals are higher. They beat Illinois and Purdue when they were ranked and will continue to beat XYZ when they are ranked. Coach made an adjustment when we went into a funk ,and our best basketball is in front of us when the starting 5 and Montez and Jacob play up to their potential . Wouldn’t it be nice to see all 7 have real good games , like starting Wednesday ? And here on out.

Reactions: Antnee79
No mixed feelings here. I want the team to be Ranked as many weeks as possible and to be in the MBB bottom scroll for every sports outlet and every internet site for as much publicity as a Top 25 team. Yes - the goal is to make and do well in the tourney this year. But to me, more attention helps garner better recruits - which builds a winning foundational consistency in the long haul.

Dumb question, and I should know this answer, but on tv broadcasts... BTN, ESPN, etc. etc... when you see the little top 25 ranking # on the score overlay next to a team that is ranked, is that an indication of the AP or of the ESPN/USA Today Coaches poll?

I’m not sure how 3 loss Loyola-Chicago deserves to be ranked over a 2 loss Xavier team with a win over #12 Oklahoma.

Agree. They are a nice team in a garbage league. Drake was undefeated and didn’t even deserve to be there. Check out Drake’s schedule. The biggest name on their schedule was Kansas State, who is 5-15.

Such a ridiculous statement . Start getting used to Rutgers being ranked because that will be ongoing. If your sentiment is that when we have a number next to our name we do not win , well that didn’t work when we beat Illinois or Purdue . Some people make these superstitious arguments but it really comes down to making plays. We got into a funk , Coach made a lineup adjustment and Myles has started to dominate and we are playing more inside out and in my opinion do it even more. We have basically won 4 in a row getting almost nothing from Ron and 1 game from Caleb and minimal contributions fro Montez. We have pieces with Geo , Myles , Ron, Montez, Paul and Jacob to actually put it altogether and have all of them playing up to their potential. You haven’t seen our best game yet, although MSU was a complete one ( but maybe discounted because of their Covid break) . Start getting used to Ranked Rutgers playing X y z
Totally agree. And let's not forget -- we beat #6 Illinois and #24 Purdue,
2 teams currently ahead of us in the polls

Reactions: RUonBrain
If we want to make a run in the ncaa ...we need to learn doing it as the hunted
with expectations And with the lights getting brighter

NO better time than NOW to learning to meet expectations and attention that winning and success brings ...

If we want to make a run in the ncaa ...we need to learn doing it as the hunted
with expectations And with the lights getting brighter

NO better time than NOW to learning to meet expectations and attention that winning and success brings ...

I totally agree. We need to learn how to play as ranked and/or favorites just as much as underdogs because sometimes you don’t always have that chip on your shoulder. That’s why experience goes far in the tournament. 2-3 years ago, we couldn’t win in a sold out home crowd. Last year, we couldn’t win on the road. This year we had a hot streak and a cold streak. All these different random scenarios makes us that much stronger.

I think this team is a bit different -- 25th isn't an accomplishment anymore to them, they've had their sights on bigger and better things. I could see it looking like a huge accomplishment last year (which it was) but they shouldn't be looking at a 25 next to their name and breathing a sigh of relief when they realize they talked up top 5 and top 10 possibilities at the beginning of the year.
I understand your thinking. Let's hope the kids do like you said.

Dumb question, and I should know this answer, but on tv broadcasts... BTN, ESPN, etc. etc... when you see the little top 25 ranking # on the score overlay next to a team that is ranked, is that an indication of the AP or of the ESPN/USA Today Coaches poll?
I remember in the late '90s or so the Coaches poll was probably slightly more prominent than the AP because ESPN used it exclusively. Not sure when it flipped back. But probably for the best. Still remember when Rick Majerus got caught having some intern fill out his top 25 and putting a sub-.500 Temple in December or so. (Or was it the other way around?)

• Haha
Reactions: DirtyRU
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT