ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers Football is BACK

rutgersal

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jun 7, 2001
It feels good to once again go into a game with a difficult opponent and feel like you've got a decent chance to win. Haven't felt that way In Three years.

We out rushed, out first downed, and out possessed a very good Washington Team, that should be in the playoffs, provided that they can get by USC. Mistakes, mental errors, and mostly a command performance by Washington QB Jake Browning, were the difference in the outcome of this game. A few thoughts;
  • Offensive line played well enough to win. RT Kamaal Seymour is light years better than he was last year. LT Tariq Cole had a tremendous game. Rest of the guys were solid. The only sack occurred when QB Kyle Bolin tripped himself up. We also out rushed Washington. We're we perfect, no. But Given the caliber of player on Washingtons Defensive Line, I still feel that this will be the best Rutgers Offensive Line since 2006.
  • Defensive Line also played well enough to win. We saw consistent pressure all night. #51 Sebastian Joseph, got good push up the middle, and #99 Kevin Wilkins drove his man right into the backfield on numerous occasions, making it difficult for Washington to run to his side. Darnell Davis had the Rutgers Defense play of the game when he sacked Jake Browning and forced a fumble. #58 Kemoko Turay came oh so close to a number of sacks, and is on his way to a great season. #7 Elorm Lumor, #96 Bateky were solid.
  • Washingtons QB Jake Browning outplayed our QB, which was the difference in the game. He showed why he will be a high round draft pick in next years NFL draft, with his ability to make on the money throws, especially downfield.
  • Kyle Bolin was up and down. He made a number of terrific throws, especially the first TD pass to Janorian Grant, but also threw two interceptions. It's nice to have a QB that gives you a chance to win every game. He shook off the rust and will get better as the season progresses.
  • The tackling has improved. Are we where we want to be? No, but we had fewer instances of missed tackles, there there still were a number of them.
  • Our linemen didn't look like they were playing on roller skates
  • #88 Jerome Washington was a beast and ended up with 6 catches for 36 yards. He's got great hands and looks like poised for big things
  • Damon Mitchell led the team in receiving yards, Dacoven Baily had a terrific clutch TD catch on 4th and 4, Washington smartly limited Janarion grant. The freshmen played but are still getting acclimated.
Overall, though I'm not happy with the result, I'm happy with the effort, toughness, and grit that we showed. Ultimately, It took the stellar effort of a future NFL QB to beat us, and that I can live with. Thankfully, don't see another QB, with similar aptitude in our remaining games, which makes every remaining game winnable. The rebuild is effectively over because this is a competitive Big Ten Team TODAY.

Nice summary, Al. I appreciate your reference to stats and actual, observable playmaking. That's refreshing from a discussion based just on opinions, which can sometimes dominate the discussions on sports message boards.

-Scarlet Jerry

Reactions: rutgersal
Now RU has to beat EMU convincingly to keep the progress going.

Can't wait til the Nebraska game. Damn I wish I go.
Anybody find cheap air rates?

Check LGA and JFK.
We got good Airfares a few months ago for this game.

Want my game ticket? I planned a trip to Nebraska for 3 years but then mom screwed me out. I'm extremely depressed about it because I was also screwed out the last time and need to cross Nebraska and the surrounding states off my list.

It feels good to once again go into a game with a difficult opponent and feel like you've got a decent chance to win. Haven't felt that way In Three years.

We out rushed, out first downed, and out possessed a very good Washington Team, that should be in the playoffs, provided that they can get by USC. Mistakes, mental errors, and mostly a command performance by Washington QB Jake Browning, were the difference in the outcome of this game. A few thoughts;
  • Offensive line played well enough to win. RT Kamaal Seymour is light years better than he was last year. LT Tariq Cole had a tremendous game. Rest of the guys were solid. The only sack occurred when QB Kyle Bolin tripped himself up. We also out rushed Washington. We're we perfect, no. But Given the caliber of player on Washingtons Defensive Line, I still feel that this will be the best Rutgers Offensive Line since 2006.
  • Defensive Line also played well enough to win. We saw consistent pressure all night. #51 Sebastian Joseph, got good push up the middle, and #99 Kevin Wilkins drove his man right into the backfield on numerous occasions, making it difficult for Washington to run to his side. Darnell Davis had the Rutgers Defense play of the game when he sacked Jake Browning and forced a fumble. #58 Kemoko Turay came oh so close to a number of sacks, and is on his way to a great season. #7 Elorm Lumor, #96 Bateky were solid.
  • Washingtons QB Jake Browning outplayed our QB, which was the difference in the game. He showed why he will be a high round draft pick in next years NFL draft, with his ability to make on the money throws, especially downfield.
  • Kyle Bolin was up and down. He made a number of terrific throws, especially the first TD pass to Janorian Grant, but also threw two interceptions. It's nice to have a QB that gives you a chance to win every game. He shook off the rust and will get better as the season progresses.
  • The tackling has improved. Are we where we want to be? No, but we had fewer instances of missed tackles, there there still were a number of them.
  • #88 Jerome Washington was a beast and ended up with 6 catches for 36 yards. He's got great hands and looks like poised for big things
  • Damon Mitchell led the team in receiving yards, Dacoven Baily had a terrific clutch TD catch on 4th and 4, Washington smartly limited Janarion grant. The freshmen played but are still getting acclimated.
Overall, though I'm not happy with the result, I'm happy with the effort, toughness, and grit that we showed. Ultimately, It took the stellar effort of a future NFL QB to beat us, and that I can live with. Thankfully, don't see another QB, with similar aptitude in our remaining games, which makes every remaining game winnable. The rebuild is effectively over because this is a competitive Big Ten Team TODAY.
Will Previllon also played very well. Julius Turner got some reps also as depth will be needed on the D-line as the season progresses.

Bolin was only responsible for one INT as the first one was a good read and throw to an open receiver who fell after the ball was thrown.

I am not sure how great Browning played as on three plays we had busted coverage leaving wide open receivers. He did make a great throw on the long pass completion however. Other than that throw I thought he was good but not great.

The UW STs won the game on an outstanding punt return and great punting.

Last edited:
Reactions: rutgersal and goru7

I will be headed to Lincoln with a bunch of our tailgating crew. After Friday night, I'm starting to delude myself into thinking it might be a competitive game. Wouldn't that be nice. RU needs to continue to improve and stay healthy for that to happen.

Good post Al. Although I'm not sure I would say we are fully back. But we are well on our way.

When some folks were whining about dline recruiting, I said don't worry, we have studs in the team right now who will surprise people. Again, I wish people would stop getting enamored with stars. Dline will only get better with Duggan and Bordner. Future is bright with both lines.

The next step in the process is for elite offensive playmakers to emerge. Onward and upward.

We never stretched the defense with a few shots downthe field. Qb play was solid but not great. RB were great. LB a work in progress. Punt and kick coverage poor. Im happy with our improvement.

Hell must have frozen over because i agree with more than 50% of what you said....you had me all the way until the end...Browning wasn't great but many other B1G QBs looked solid this weekend (Lagow, McSorely, Speight at times, Barrett, Purdue's tandem)

They also played a relatively penalty free game and there weren't too many missed assignments. Most of those came at linebacker, but you have to accept that will happen when you lose your starting Mike for the year with 2 weeks left in camp. That will be corrected and should be much better by the time the Nebraska game rolls around.

Will Previllon also played very well. Julius Turner got some reps also as depth will be needed on the D-line as the season progresses.
Yes I was curious to see Julius Turner. He is undersized but looked active. I have a good feeling about him.

There were good things to take from that game. Beyond that, nothing. Not "back." Unless back is losing by 16 at home in your opener. Hell, we've beaten better than No. 8 before.

Now, on the way back? Hell yeah. You could almost smell the increased competence, on the field and on the sideline. Can't we be happy about that?

Some of you keep up like this, and after one bad loss you are going to turn the car on and close the garage door.

Reactions: MYHATINTHERING
There were good things to take from that game. Beyond that, nothing. Not "back." Unless back is losing by 16 at home in your opener. Hell, we've beaten better than No. 8 before.

Now, on the way back? Hell yeah. You could almost smell the increased competence, on the field and on the sideline. Can't we be happy about that?

Some of you keep up like this, and after one bad loss you are going to turn the car on and close the garage door.

You haven't felt that way in 3 years ? Really

Im sorry but a terrible post. Do you work for NJ.com?

Want my game ticket? I planned a trip to Nebraska for 3 years but then mom screwed me out. I'm extremely depressed about it because I was also screwed out the last time and need to cross Nebraska and the surrounding states off my list.

Thanks, I'll let you know if I can work it out. This is Kristen who I see sometimes at Olde Queens Island, right?

Reactions: LadyRU09
Everybody is deservedly gushing over Edwards while forgetting that Martin looked good also. I'm predicting a two-headed beast at RB.

Abro, You can get a $357 Roundtrip Airfare ( Non Stop) for that Nebraska game. It's Delta from LGA.

That Ain't cheap, lol. I'm looking for $200 or below. Maybe Grayhound, lol

Come on, abro. There are certain things you just pay up for. Nebraska trip with Rutgers competitive is worth it, imo. I can't go due to a family obligation.

I booked a flight from LGA to OMA on Delta for $367 in early August, but then had to cancel it.

I'm spending the pseudo-refund credit for a flight to the MBB game out there in February.

Is Rutgers back Al? Back to what?

This is what happens when fans get too excited over one average performance only to see reality smack them in the face. Bolin is NOT he answer, we don't have a true playmaker, at least we aren't getting the back to Grant enough to make plays and Turay didn't even have a QB hurry today...

The rebuild hasn't even started and probably won't until Kill replaces Ash as HC...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT