ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers friendly staff at Somerville HS

Nice. Wish them all success.

Nice article. Does the athletic department have a program to help former players get a teaching cert after their playing days are over if they want to work with kids in schools. The article suggested that a few of the coaches are working as instructional assistants for the district. If these guys truly want to help kids, Rutgers might be able to to help them as they navigate their lives after their own playing days are over.

Reactions: Bilderberg_News
Nice to see the support out of Somerville. A few tidbits. ironically Jeff Vanderbeek ('74?) and youngest brother Keith ('82) (not sure on staff now-was wide receivers coach his brothers first year I think) were two of the top players ever for Bridgewater (East). One of the 1st times I was over the house of my childhood friend at age 10 or so i remember Bridgewater East winning the state championship (vs Carteret) from AC on UHF TV NJ Channel 58 (I used to think the star was another Vanderbeek brother but a free Bridgewater
paper said it was the former owner of the devils himself.

In my own mind? I think youngest brother Keith and his size (played RB?FB and walked onto UVA) was the inspiration for two classmates who were 99 pound weakling types (one was a friend the other the younger brother of a top Cook student) suddenly becoming suspiciously "massive" their senior years.
Those guys won back to back "Mr. Rutgers" bodybuilding titles in the mid 80's. Also the one (ironically the last i heard a top female cross country coach for another nearby HS) was one of two who got FIJI suspended back around 1985! Memories....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT