ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers Hoops/Simpson article - Philly Inquirer

S_Janowski

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
May 24, 2009
Marlton, NJ
Great to see Rutgers basketball getting some press down in the Philly/South Jersey market.

I actually reached out to them after their article on the Clearview OL committing to Rutgers Football asking for some press on Rutgers basketball and specifically mentioned Simpson :)

Great to see Rutgers basketball getting some press down in the Philly/South Jersey market.

I actually reached out to them after their article on the Clearview OL committing to Rutgers Football asking for some press on Rutgers basketball and specifically mentioned Simpson :)

Gary Potosky is the sports editor at the Inquirer. He's a good friend of mine. Both of us majored in journalism/media studies and graduated together from RU in 1987. After graduation, we worked together at The Daily Journal in Elizabeth. When TDJ closed in 1992, he continued in the newspaper biz. I went into publishing.

If there's a story that involves Rutgers that is worth writing that has some sort of link to the South Jersey/Philly area, he'll be the first one to tell someone on his staff to get on it.

Simpson is due for a good game offensively. His defense has picked up, still makes a few mistakes but has been better man to man. Need a good shooting day from him.
I think he's going to be really good.

He has all the traits of a potential great player, including the tendency to get a bit overexcited at times due to his youth and his high level of confidence. Which is problematic right this moment perhaps.

But by all accounts, it will largely self-correct. The kid just needs more experience, which he'll get, and some light touch coaching (which I would guess he's already getting).

Can't predict the future, but I am feeling fairly positive about his future. Gonna have to be a little patient with him this season, but that's been true of some other college freshmen who turned out to be really good or even great players.

I think he's going to be really good.

He has all the traits of a potential great player, including the tendency to get a bit overexcited at times due to his youth and his high level of confidence. Which is problematic right this moment perhaps.

But by all accounts, it will largely self-correct. The kid just needs more experience, which he'll get, and some light touch coaching (which I would guess he's already getting).

Can't predict the future, but I am feeling fairly positive about his future. Gonna have to be a little patient with him this season, but that's been true of some other college freshmen who turned out to be really good or even great players.
Agreed on the youthful exuberance, the game just needs to slow down a bit for him and he's going to fine in the long run. Like that he plays with a bit of moxy even if he's a bit error prone for now. The best thing about freshmen is that they become sophomores, applies here.

Agreed on the youthful exuberance, the game just needs to slow down a bit for him and he's going to fine in the long run. Like that he plays with a bit of moxy even if he's a bit error prone for now. The best thing about freshmen is that they become sophomores, applies here.
He was a real find for Pike and crew. His size might be all that ever holds him back at the next level.

Nice article.

Reactions: S_Janowski
Gary Potosky is the sports editor at the Inquirer. He's a good friend of mine. Both of us majored in journalism/media studies and graduated together from RU in 1987. After graduation, we worked together at The Daily Journal in Elizabeth. When TDJ closed in 1992, he continued in the newspaper biz. I went into publishing.

If there's a story that involves Rutgers that is worth writing that has some sort of link to the South Jersey/Philly area, he'll be the first one to tell someone on his staff to get on it.
Couldn't let a reference to the Daily Journal go without making a comment. Grew up in Kenilworth and the DJ was an afternoon paper that I think we subscribed to for years. Their building was at the end of Westfield Ave and Broad in Elizabeth. Did not think they lasted until 1992.

Reactions: PiscatawayMike
I like the phrase “attentively loud”

I think it’s a pretty good description of the fans down low. They don’t miss a thing on the court and often call a walk or foul before the official can even blow their whistle!

Reactions: MiloTalon13
At some point on their 1st year freshman stop playing like freshman. He is playing like a freshman.

Potential is great, but I am getting impatient with his play and decision making. Thank goodness he works real hard defensively.

At some point on their 1st year freshman stop playing like freshman. He is playing like a freshman.

Potential is great, but I am getting impatient with his play and decision making. Thank goodness he works real hard defensively.
IMO, most freshman mostly play like freshmen until they're no longer freshmen. 😃

Discarding the last game, in which the whole team struggled, I think Simpson's trend has been upwards throughout the season. But in sports, as with many other things, progress is typically non-linear. In the last game, even our team captains had freshman moments. It happens.

It's obviously up to you, but you might want to consider being more patient since being impatient is a sure recipe for frustration. And, since you have complete control over that, why chose to frustrate yourself that way?

He's gonna progress at whatever rate he progresses and no amount of impatience by us will ever change that.

No charge for this Tony Robbins moment. 🤣

I love Simpson’s upside and his confidence. My one criticism so far is he needs to be a bit less selfish in transition. He challenges the D even after a defender commits to him. In those instances hitting the trailer or kicking it out to an open shooter is sometimes the better option. It happened 3 times against Iowa with zero buckets.

Baptism under fire, I'll accept the mistakes while he is learning to play in the BIG as I believe it will be worth it for the following 3 years

Reactions: thegock

Patience …we finally , since before the time of the flood, don’t have to rush freshmen to play 30 minute and hear the echo of Bobby knight saying “the best thing about freshman is they become sophomores…”

Patience …we finally , since before the time of the flood, don’t have to rush freshmen to play 30 minute and hear the echo of Bobby knight saying “the best thing about freshman is they become sophomores…”
Agreed…..Still would like to see him making less mistakes. I think the jury is still out whether or not he will ever be a guy who plays 30+ minutes. If he isn’t that is OK, every program needs a 3rd guard.

I have just guaranteed he will lead us to victory like he did against Indiana.

Hope he becomes Dahntay Jones; too bad he left for Duke because of an unnamed Coach; but like Simpson a lot - and his shots will fall - but needs to stop those force passes (to Hyatt) - but D is solid and confidence seems elite. And thanks for sharing the article.

Couldn't let a reference to the Daily Journal go without making a comment. Grew up in Kenilworth and the DJ was an afternoon paper that I think we subscribed to for years. Their building was at the end of Westfield Ave and Broad in Elizabeth. Did not think they lasted until 1992.
One of my favorite players to cover while at TDJ was a kid from Kenilworth: Mike Chalenski. He was a stud DE/DT for Brearley. Great kid from a great family... went to PItt, then transferred to UCLA. He was also a fireballer on the mound in baseball. He beat Elizabeth in the Union County Tournament championship game when Elizabeth was ranked No. 1 in the country.

My game story was picked up by the Associated Press and ran in several papers throughout the country.

Reactions: LETSGORU91
And just after I gave Derek some praise for picking up his defense, he struggled last night defensively.

And we still need him to give us a spark offensively too. Can’t have Hyatt being our only bench contributor.

ADVERTISEMENT