ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Rutgers not worried yet about recent stretch

Maybe they should be worried? A little. You don’t solve their issues on a week.
Playing worried can mean playing timid. Won’t help the rebounding woes. I have no problem with the article

Reactions: knight82
We as fans should worry. Once the team starts worrying they're finished for good. They have control over how they play and they should be determined to figure it out

I agree with Caleb that the effort just needs to step up a notch. By playing so many guys, we should be playing D that much harder. Our D was probably better last year. Got too comfortable the beginning of this year because we were playing out of our mind on offense.

Also, our shot selection is not where it was the beginning of this year. What happened to the team where we were throwing up alley-oops and no look passes. When we play our best offense, there is definitely a noticeable fluidity.

Some things we need to do that I know we are capable of:
- Establish a post game. I know Myles is struggling with FTs, but even getting us into the bonus would help and he is good enough to score 1v1 or pass to the open man. Ron and Caleb are also decent in the post.
- Get Geo going. I don’t know if you caught this, but Bardo pointed it out in one of the games that he likes to drive on right side and step back on left side. He needs to go ala Corey Sanders and crossover shot with some intensity. You knew it was always coming, but Corey still made them. Or split the screens like what he did against Indiana last year for the dunk. He’s gotten a bit predictable lately and it’s affected his mojo.
- Someone needs to incorporate what I like to call the “old man game.” Eugene had it and I believe Yeboah had it too. Basically a lot of crafty veteran moves in the post that leads to easier buckets. You know it when you see it. Also on defense, the post step-away when getting backed down maybe
- I don’t want us to get more injured, but we used to take a lot of charges in years past. I barely remember any charges that we’ve taken this year.
- Paul needs to up his game and be the true point guard that we know he is capable of being. He’s solid now and I definitely don’t want to take away from Jacob’s scoring, but he often seems the most fired up guy on the floor, winning or losing. Let him take some leadership. He’s not the fastest guy, but he’s crafty enough to create his own space and needs to take more short range shots also. That opens things up with the pick and roll game with Myles maybe.

The comments are all well and good, but Pike and staff need to counter what Izzo and Holtmann did. Izzo figured out that if they come way out on defense against our shooters, we will not go inside to Myles, because Myles isn't the kind of offensive player that scares anybody. It worked. Our shooting was way off and because we were still chucking it up from outside, Myles had no help in rebounding, so we limited our second chance shots. Also, we missed a ton of bunnies we never missed before. That has to stop especially from Tez, Young and Myles. Stop anticipating getting fouled. For Tez and Young stop trying to score among the trees three against one. And Myles needs to go up strong and either dunk it or drop it in. There are too many times where he tries to be cute and shoot via the backboard and has missed a lot of them. He needs to go up strong.

On the defensive side, we were just outplayed and out hustled. There's no excuse for that. We have been known as a tenacious defense and in our losing streak we have been soft.

Reactions: RedChucken123
Love the quotes from both Young and Caleb. Both are correct. Have the talent. We are good. Just need to play harder and rebound and it will come together for them. Injuries happen. Slumps happen. Hope to see B1G Cliff out there Friday

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT