ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers remains #6 in IL media poll

Number 5 in the Nike poll.

Sunday night is becoming huge game. With us, Maryland, PSU, and and Hopkins all in the top 10, if we can all squeeze out OSU and Michigan, that's going to be very compelling case for 4 teams to make the tourney if we beat up on each other.

Has the makings of what the Ivy did last year.

Number 5 in the Nike poll.

Sunday night is becoming huge game. With us, Maryland, PSU, and and Hopkins all in the top 10, if we can all squeeze out OSU and Michigan, that's going to be very compelling case for 4 teams to make the tourney if we beat up on each other.

Has the makings of what the Ivy did last year.
Especially with the Ivy down this year. They might get Cornell and maybe Yale in at this rate.

Reactions: Caliknight
Especially with the Ivy down this year. They might get Cornell and maybe Yale in at this rate.

Cornell is in. And if it looks like only 1 they can pull a Denver, lose in the conference finals and let someone else get the AQ. 😄

Reactions: bigmatt718
Cornell is in. And if it looks like only 1 they can pull a Denver, lose in the conference finals and let someone else get the AQ. 😄
I wish the lax committee treated the conference tourneys like basketball, where they completely ignore them or better yet, punish said team for pulling a Denver as it looks like the conference is gaming the system.

If Cornell wins the Ivy tourney, it's looking like a one bid league as it stands now. Princeton is shot, Brown is shot, Dartmouth was never a chance, Harvard is out and Yale has some tough losses on the books with Penn the same. Can't see any of those teams getting an at large at this point.

If Cornell wins the Ivy tourney, it's looking like a one bid league as it stands now. Princeton is shot, Brown is shot, Dartmouth was never a chance, Harvard is out and Yale has some tough losses on the books with Penn the same. Can't see any of those teams getting an at large at this point.

Yale could get an at large if the ACC and B1G teams beat each other up. Cornell and Penn St. are not terrible losses. What would kill them is if the choice came down to Yale vs Penn St..

Yale could get an at large if the ACC and B1G teams beat each other up. Cornell and Penn St. are not terrible losses. What would kill them is if the choice came down to Yale vs Penn St..
There are what...18 teams that get into the Tourney? If the 2nd half of the season goes without any chaos, I'd have to figure the ACC will get 3 teams in (UVA, ND, and Duke), B1G will get 3-4 teams in (UMD, RU, Hopkins, PSU are all in the race for postseason play), Ivy will get 1 to maybe 2 teams in (Cornell in, Yale on the bubble), BE will get 1 team in (Nova is the only team that can get an AL at this point), and PL can get 1 to maybe 2 teams in (Loyola would be eligible for an AL if Army wins the PL).

You can all but guarantee chaos in the B1G.

Acc seems more set. It's ND and Uva, then Duke, then UNC...then Syracuse.

The interesting thing will be if Syracuse somehow pops a W and ruins one of the seasons of ND, Uva, Duke.

As of now, they are a bad loss.

Last edited:
There are what...18 teams that get into the Tourney? If the 2nd half of the season goes without any chaos, I'd have to figure the ACC will get 3 teams in (UVA, ND, and Duke), B1G will get 3-4 teams in (UMD, RU, Hopkins, PSU are all in the race for postseason play), Ivy will get 1 to maybe 2 teams in (Cornell in, Yale on the bubble), BE will get 1 team in (Nova is the only team that can get an AL at this point), and PL can get 1 to maybe 2 teams in (Loyola would be eligible for an AL if Army wins the PL).

Army needs to win the AQ in almost the inverse of PSU-Yale. Army's only loss is to UMass who Yale took apart at Amherst 19-9.

Army needs to win the AQ in almost the inverse of PSU-Yale. Army's only loss is to UMass who Yale took apart at Amherst 19-9.
After seeing Army beat us I was thoroughly impressed. They are just balanced and capable in all 3 zones and at the X. I hope they continue to show the loss to UMass was an early-season hiccup.

I would love to play them again. We did everything out of character that day.

We play them again I think we win by 5-7 goals.

Felt like it was the one game where we were out coached. Especially on the defensive side. Learn, improve and move on.

We would win I agree. Just think the margin would be tighter. Assuming Dugenio would keep the FO percentage closer but they were buzzing around our cage with a lot of success and play in the middle of the field was ehhhh. Who knows? Maybe at home we win by five but its fun to speculate.

Felt like it was the one game where we were out coached. Especially on the defensive side. Learn, improve and move on.
They did. I probably wouldn’t disagree. It all took place during the week. And if you ask the guys on the team, they take a lot of responsibility. They came in too confident. Can’t just show up and win, especially in a game against an academy.

Not surprisingly they’ve won 5 straight.

No excuses at this level but missing our fogo and our LSM who is the best in the country was a very good news for them.

Like I said, I’d love to play them again. I don’t think it would be a game now.

They did. I probably wouldn’t disagree. It all took place during the week. And if you ask the guys on the team, they take a lot of responsibility. They came in too confident. Can’t just show up and win, especially in a game against an academy.

Not surprisingly they’ve won 5 straight.

No excuses at this level but missing our fogo and our LSM who is the best in the country was a very good news for them.

Like I said, I’d love to play them again. I don’t think it would be a game now.
That was a tough game to lose Rall. Historically midfield is the engine that drives Army’s offense. Their midfield scored something like 9 of their 14 goals. Splaine has a bright future but going from a 1st team All American to a freshman in his 3rd game is a huge drop off. Plus our d-mids were still learning to play our system.

But you could see that by the end of the game they were starting to figure it out. Had Scott’s last shot gone in instead of hitting the crossbar, I felt pretty good about pulling it out in overtime. Neumann was getting in a groove and we were getting looks that unfortunately didn’t drop. Too little too late and credit to Army for hanging tough but if that game was 2 minutes longer I don’t think they would have been able to hold us off.

But if my aunt had balls she’d be my uncle.

This is a huge game. As they all are. This is one game season time.

OSU is looking at this like a clean slate. We need to come out of the gates early and make them question themselves from the start. We've typically played very well at OSU, which for other programs, has been a house of horrors. They have a new stadium which is a place we've never played.

Kind of bummed- have a trip to Aspen planned but was offered a chance to fly with the team for the game. Would have been fun. Heard their stadium is awesome. Certainly something we need to get done ASAP.

Reactions: mattkamish
I’d be shocked if the B1G got 4. I just don’t see that happening. I think 3 is the number. The next two games will determine where RU will fall in that discussion. OOC and SOS will be huge in that process. Best way to insure you get in is beat the teams your competing with for a spot. Beat OSU and Beat Hop and RU will be sitting in a very good spot. If they lose one or both, they will need to beat both UMD and PSU to get in IMO…or make it to the B1G final…or hell, go win it

Bottom line is it’s all speculation and there is so much left in terms of big games…just focus on game #1…OSU Sunday night

As far as other conferences…the big ones anyway…

ACC I expect 3 for sure (ND, UVA, Duke) and I think UNC and Cuse are out

Ivy, Cornell is gonna be in, I think Yale likely and maybe 1 more (Penn)…I think they get 3 but that’s it…that’s 3 less than last year…

PL - You got 4 likely candidates for the AQ in Army, BU, Loyola, and Lehigh…I think the only team that has a chance for an AL spot is Loyola. They beat Maryland and Hopkins and their two losses are on the road to top 5/6 teams in Duke and RU. Remember, Loyola still has a midweek tilt vs Georgetown in April…if they beat GT, they have a very good OOC resume and SOS…now of course they can’t throw up all over their upcoming PL schedule and lose a bunch of games, but if they only lose 1 or 2 and get to the PL final and get beat…they might steal an AL bid based on their top 5 OOC schedule

BE - They get the AQ and maybe 1 AL…Maybe?? Nova is in the best position now. If they win the AQ, it might be tough for Denver and GT…OSU needed to beat Denver Sunday…that was a very big loss and indirectly a hit to the B1G and a 4th bid…in effect, OSU let Denver hang around now and PSU and UM losing to Marquette does the B1G no favors either.

Should be wild. Buckle up!

I’ll be at West Point on Sat rooting for Loyola and hopefully hustling down to MSG to watch my MSU Spartans play for a spot in the Final Four on Sat night….they gotta win Thursday night first…no easy feat.

Way too much lacrosse left to make that prediction, including who were to beat.

3-2 would be a virtual guarantee though.
3-2 puts you in a very good spot…then win your first B1G tourney game and your a lock…

Conversely, if you go 2-3…you have to get to the Big Ten title game IMO

But as you said it’s just foolish to look any further than the week and game at hand…beat OSU and your off to a real good start…

I’d be shocked if the B1G got 4. I just don’t see that happening. I think 3 is the number. The next two games will determine where RU will fall in that discussion. OOC and SOS will be huge in that process. Best way to insure you get in is beat the teams your competing with for a spot. Beat OSU and Beat Hop and RU will be sitting in a very good spot. If they lose one or both, they will need to beat both UMD and PSU to get in IMO…or make it to the B1G final…or hell, go win it

Bottom line is it’s all speculation and there is so much left in terms of big games…just focus on game #1…OSU Sunday night

As far as other conferences…the big ones anyway…

ACC I expect 3 for sure (ND, UVA, Duke) and I think UNC and Cuse are out

Ivy, Cornell is gonna be in, I think Yale likely and maybe 1 more (Penn)…I think they get 3 but that’s it…that’s 3 less than last year…

PL - You got 4 likely candidates for the AQ in Army, BU, Loyola, and Lehigh…I think the only team that has a chance for an AL spot is Loyola. They beat Maryland and Hopkins and their two losses are on the road to top 5/6 teams in Duke and RU. Remember, Loyola still has a midweek tilt vs Georgetown in April…if they beat GT, they have a very good OOC resume and SOS…now of course they can’t throw up all over their upcoming PL schedule and lose a bunch of games, but if they only lose 1 or 2 and get to the PL final and get beat…they might steal an AL bid based on their top 5 OOC schedule

BE - They get the AQ and maybe 1 AL…Maybe?? Nova is in the best position now. If they win the AQ, it might be tough for Denver and GT…OSU needed to beat Denver Sunday…that was a very big loss and indirectly a hit to the B1G and a 4th bid…in effect, OSU let Denver hang around now and PSU and UM losing to Marquette does the B1G no favors either.

Should be wild. Buckle up!

I’ll be at West Point on Sat rooting for Loyola and hopefully hustling down to MSG to watch my MSU Spartans play for a spot in the Final Four on Sat night….they gotta win Thursday night first…no easy feat.
I still say the NCAA Tourney should be 20 teams as that would make it more fair without watering down the product. Need more teams to keep going D1 so that the field inevitably gets expanded.

I still say the NCAA Tourney should be 20 teams as that would make it more fair without watering down the product. Need more teams to keep going D1 so that the field inevitably gets expanded.
I think 20 would be the max right now based on total number of D1 teams…I don’t think that’s happening but I’d love to see this below:

1 - Home
2 - Home
3 - Home
4 - Home
5 - Home
6 - Home
7 - Home
8 - Home
13 - 2 teams playing here for this spot on Tue
14 - 2 teams playing here for this spot on Tue
15 - 2 teams playing here for this spot on Tue
16 - 2 teams playing here for this spot on Tue

This creates 4 Tuesday play in games. Teams are playing pretty level competition so the get a chance for a round “0” win and if the win, they move on to weekend 1. That gets you 20 teams.

Gotcha. Would assume beating OSU very important since they have gotten roughed up by ACC opponents.

Remember, although they lost to the Top 2 in the ACC, Ohio St. beat UNC. That could be as important for them getting an AL as their beating Notre Dame was last year.

B1G road wins are a premium. You get those, it's money in the bank. We only have 2 home games so we are going to have to be beat at least one team on the road.

I think 20 would be the max right now based on total number of D1 teams…I don’t think that’s happening but I’d love to see this below:

1 - Home
2 - Home
3 - Home
4 - Home
5 - Home
6 - Home
7 - Home
8 - Home
13 - 2 teams playing here for this spot on Tue
14 - 2 teams playing here for this spot on Tue
15 - 2 teams playing here for this spot on Tue
16 - 2 teams playing here for this spot on Tue

This creates 4 Tuesday play in games. Teams are playing pretty level competition so the get a chance for a round “0” win and if the win, they move on to weekend 1. That gets you 20 teams.

For the past 50 years the NCAA has been 5-8 years late in expanding the tournament field when it was warranted. Matt's set up works, but don't hold your breath. Start watching carefully in 2026-2028.

Reactions: mattkamish
This is pure speculation but I’ll throw an early dart at the board as we creep to April 1

I’m not gonna put names but here is what I could see in terms of what conferences get:

ACC - 3
Big Ten - 3
Ivy - 3
Patriot - 2
BE - 2
A10 - 1
Am East - 1
Asun - 1
MAAC - 1
CAA - 1

That’s 18

Now I think this is pretty close, well as close as speculation can get 😉

I think the question marks are the PL and the BE…right now I’m giving them each an AL…BUT, depending on how conference play shakes out, I can see those AL’s maybe slipping away…maybe the B1G grabs 4…but I’m not sure in that…but as of now this is a safe spread.

Gonna be a fun watch the next 4-6 weeks

Pole Collison with Rall and I think Hopkins is eminently beatable on the road.

Yea, that kid is one of the few true studs they have. He got sold a bill of goods to go there that walked out the door with John Grant.

They play a lot like Loyola. They will motion you to death and look to feed the interior, even when guys are covered. Like Loyola, we shouldn't slide. Make them beat us one v one. We will give up some goals that way but it won't allow them to do what they want.

Conversely, we need to get at them in the middle of field. We are more athletic than them. Not much sweeter than winning in Baltimore. Brian definitely loves that.

Yea, that kid is one of the few true studs they have. He got sold a bill of goods to go there that walked out the door with John Grant.

They play a lot like Loyola. They will motion you to death and look to feed the interior, even when guys are covered. Like Loyola, we shouldn't slide. Make them beat us one v one. We will give up some goals that way but it won't allow them to do what they want.

Conversely, we need to get at them in the middle of field. We are more athletic than them. Not much sweeter than winning in Baltimore. Brian definitely loves that.
Hopkins has an excellent goalie and they shoot pretty accurately. That can be dangerous. But, like you said we are more athletic and better organized.

Hopkins has an excellent goalie and they shoot pretty accurately. That can be dangerous. But, like you said we are more athletic and better organized.
Fortunately Mullin has won a few goalie duals thus far this season (SBU and UMass come to mind), and has the B1G's top GAA and Save Percentage, so I'd feel confident if we have to go up against a hot goalie.

I wouldn't say they have a great goalie. He's playing better, but he's definitely getable. He's very short. Looks like a child. Top cheddar all day.

They are organized, in fact, I find them too organized. They look to play to the system rather than play to make plays. You should dodge to score. A number of their guys seem to dodge to move the ball along. We are seeing this with other teams, like Syracuse. They are bringing a Canadian box style to outdoor lacrosse.

Denver has been successful with it but the shot clock mitigates wearing a down a defense like that.

Hopkins has nice stick skills and a few guys that can rip. We will get to them when we get to them, but I don't see anything that can't be dealt with assuming we come in ready play. They are better than last year though, I'll give them that. When we played them last year we broke their spirit. The score wasn't indicative but you could see it. They didn't believe they could win that game.

Another one bites the dust at SHI.

I wouldn't say they have a great goalie. He's playing better, but he's definitely getable. He's very short. Looks like a child. Top cheddar all day.

They are organized, in fact, I find them too organized. They look to play to the system rather than play to make plays. You should dodge to score. A number of their guys seem to dodge to move the ball along. We are seeing this with other teams, like Syracuse. They are bringing a Canadian box style to outdoor lacrosse.

Denver has been successful with it but the shot clock mitigates wearing a down a defense like that.

Hopkins has nice stick skills and a few guys that can rip. We will get to them when we get to them, but I don't see anything that can't be dealt with assuming we come in ready play. They are better than last year though, I'll give them that. When we played them last year we broke their spirit. The score wasn't indicative but you could see it. They didn't believe they could win that game.

Another one bites the dust at SHI.
I just learned about 12 things I didn't know from this post...

The great WheelsRI, at InsideMarylandSports, has Ohio State last in conference ratings. Ouch.

Also, very complimentary about Rutgers defense.

https://247sports.com/college/maryl...n-vs-No-1-Virginia-one-other-rises-207059281/

The better teams are more adept at taking away our running game, which has also been slowed down by the play of our DMids. They are getting better understanding our systems but they all came from very slow it down type programs. This was very foreign to them. I see them getting better though. Particularly number 21.

The encouraging thing is we are able to score in settled situations much more than previous years. If we got slowed down before we weren't as adept as getting good shots in even situations. We are much better now. We still want to run no doubt, but being able to win games differently now which is evolution.

Regarding Umass, give their goalie a lot of credit. Mullin made some great saves also, but their goalie stole a bunch of goals. That could have easily been an 18-7 type game.

Reactions: dconifer
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT