ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers Volleyball Travels to Ohio State for BTN's Wednesday Night Block Party

The Rutgers women's volleyball team closed out the season series with Ohio State playing the Buckeyes in a tight four-set match in front of the BTN cameras on Wednesday night at the Covelli Center. The Scarlet Knights (6-14, 0-9 Big Ten) dropped the first two sets by scores of 25-20 and 25-18 before leading the entire third set 25-18. The Buckeyes (11-10, 4-5 Big Ten) took the fourth set 25-20 for the win.

https://scarletknights.com/news/201...all-force-four-set-match-with-ohio-state.aspx

Is this program fully funded? We only had seven players last night. Our strongest player didn't make the trip. Thanks. $$$$

Are the sets we lost considered close scores? I know I have said this before, but this team really needs to get out of the College Ave Gym. How can anyone recruit showing recruits that facility is their home? And yes, I know Coach Goodale was able to do it for wrestling. But if I am a kid from California, I would see the College Ave Gym and day here is a school that doesn’t have any interest in being serious about competing.

Are the sets we lost considered close scores? I know I have said this before, but this team really needs to get out of the College Ave Gym. How can anyone recruit showing recruits that facility is their home? And yes, I know Coach Goodale was able to do it for wrestling. But if I am a kid from California, I would see the College Ave Gym and day here is a school that doesn’t have any interest in being serious about competing.

In VB the final score of the set doesn’t really tell you how competitive the set was unless you win or lose 25-11 or something like that. Rally scoring can make it look as if a set is closer than it really is. The best way to judge is see what the score is when the first team hits 20 during the set. If it is 20-15 then the set is realistically over and it isn’t that close. When the first team reaches 15 the rule of thumb is to take how many points to 25 vs how many are you ahead by. If you are at 20 then you need 5 to win. If the other team is at 15 or less you should win 99% of the time. If it is 20-18 then it’s still almost anyone’s to win or lose. If you are ahead by the same amount as what it takes to win the set then you are in good shape.

The scores can change quickly depending on where you might get “caught” in a certain spot in the rotation. If your best hitters are in the back row they cannot play at the net. They also tend to be not as good at serve receive and give up more aces than if in a spot where your hitters are in the front row and the defensive players are in the back row. Most teams will sub out some of their hitters because they aren’t “6 rotation” players meaning they are good at all spots.

So, to know if 25-20 or 25-22 was a close lose the only sure way to tell is to have watched the set. If a team gets up 2-0 and has won pretty convincingly then the 3rd set a lot of coaches will play some second teasers mixed in or shuffle the rotation just to experiment.

Basically the best way is to watch the games to tell how close the sets are despite what the final score may end up.

To answer another posters question: I think the Big 10 requires teams to be fully funded if the school is sponsoring a sport.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT