ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers vs 17 Ohio State 1/11/24

I'm all for waiting until Coquese's 3rd year at the helm is completed before trying to judge whether her tenure will be a success.
I won't be going strictly by W-L record but how competitive the team is and the type of recruits Washington and her staff bring in..
As of now I feel Quese is starting to build a winner but it will not be a quick turnaround from the disaster she inherited
those key words "disaster she inherited"

told you so

I blame the LOA and Eatman not being good enough to replace her.
Before her LOA RUWBB was a winning program, just not one that could be counted as a top program like it once was under her
2017–18Rutgers20–127–9T–9th
2018–19Rutgers22–1013–53rdNCAA Division I First Round
2019–20Rutgers22–911–7T–5thCanceled due to COVID-19
2020–21Rutgers14–510–33rdNCAA Division I First Round
Glad you brought facts because people keep saying that the program was a disaster and that’s false. If it wasn’t for COVID, the program would have gone the three consecutive NCAA tournaments. Now the results in the tournament were not what that had been in the past. 2020-2021 could have been special☹️.

Glad you brought facts because people keep saying that the program was a disaster and that’s false. If it wasn’t for COVID, the program would have gone the three consecutive NCAA tournaments. Now the results in the tournament were not what that had been in the past. 2020-2021 could have been special☹️.
The disaster wasn't the performance of the team up until the last year. The disaster was the CW was left with a team with barely enough players to field a team.

I did say Washington did inherit a disaster, but meant Vivian's LOA and Eatman being in charge did turn the program from a winning one into a disaster .
But before those things happened, it looked like Stringer had a good RUWBB team
CVS refusing to admit to herself she wasn't healthy enough to coach anymore was bad for the program and how the team played under Eatman made a good program into one that the better players tend to stay away from, especially if no one realty knew who would be in charge when they signed their LOI.

Reactions: dfr1966
I blame the LOA and Eatman not being good enough to replace her.
Before her LOA RUWBB was a winning program, just not one that could be counted as a top program like it once was under her
2017–18Rutgers20–127–9T–9th
2018–19Rutgers22–1013–53rdNCAA Division I First Round
2019–20Rutgers22–911–7T–5thCanceled due to COVID-19
2020–21Rutgers14–510–33rdNCAA Division I First Round

Why blame Eatman..not fair at all...he is a low level assistant...poor job by Hobbs

The disaster wasn't the performance of the team up until the last year. The disaster was the CW was left with a team with barely enough players to field a team.

The program wasnt nationally relevant since 2009 if you want to be honest

Look at ncaa performance since the upset over Auburn and record vs ranked teams

A steady decline

Why blame Eatman..not fair at all...he is a low level assistant...poor job by Hobbs
Bac have written this before but people have quick memories and no one wants to face the facts first off making the NCAA’s as you know means you are a top 50-60 program which is nothing more than mediocre and that’s a fact this program was barely mediocre the last 5-7 years
Now fact is Hobbs tried to get rid of her gracefully 6-7 years ago and well pretty obvious why he couldn’t as she of course refused!!
Then the last contract was her 110% her holding Hobbs hostage and that on her part was her doing it at that point for solely personal financial reasons!!
Unfortunately Hobbs had no choice but to name Eastman coach due to the situation and of course CVS final destruction to the program was waiting till she did to resign as we know leaving the cupboard beyond bare but costing CW a full year without being able to recruit or get anyone in the portal!!
These are FACTS 100% as of course any good reporter will not reveal his sources and I obviously will not reveal mine

Reactions: bac2therac
Uh oh … MAD will refute this undoubtedly. That can’t be valid. Nobody knows anything other than the “ connected “ few who in actuality are afraid to admit it was her time to vacate the room.

Reactions: richthedentist
Think what you want Bobbie., but if Stringer was planing to stop coaching Hobbs would
have paid Vivian her full salary , she would take care of her daughter after retiring and the LOA would never happened. The only change would be her retirement ceremony would be earlier that it was
CVS would have retired instead of trying to get healthy enough to return to coaching , butshe refused to fact the fact her health wouldn't improve enough, with rest, to return to the job she loved.

"Bob"?? is that name used by you to have us think you're a man posting on a women's basketball board ?

She still could have milked that advisor role if it was about the money.

The program wasnt nationally relevant since 2009 if you want to be honest

Look at ncaa performance since the upset over Auburn and record vs ranked teams

A steady decline
I think 2009 is harsh, but I 100% agree that the program was never as good as it was after 2009. But someone described it as "mediocre" - likewise harsh. But if you want to contend for a deep NCAA run as the only acceptable standard, the last 10 years Vivian was coach were not quite at that level. But they were "passable" - apart from all the so-called political issues folks raise about firing coaches, in women's basketball Viv was still too successful for much of her last decade for a termination to go over well in the women's basketball community. And that is not my opinion, that is the opinion of a respected women's basketball coach.

Regarding Tim - if Viv was going to be allowed to try and come back, then of course he had to be interim coach, you couldn't bring an outsider in. I saw no reason he was necessarily going to be as awful as he was. Since I don't know her health issues, I don't have any idea whether she was realistic in expecting to come back - or, to be fair, why Rutgers at that point wouldn't just kick her upstairs and move on - as someone noted, Rutgers could have done so and she would have been taken care of financially.

Reactions: MADHAT1
Uh oh … MAD will refute this undoubtedly. That can’t be valid. Nobody knows anything other than the “ connected “ few who in actuality are afraid to admit it was her time to vacate the room.
Um, I think we all have said she stayed too long. And ended up quitting at the most damaging time it could have been for the program.

Our disagreements are - how early she should have been replaced (it depends if you are willing to accept Rutgers as "ok" with winning seasons and NCAA invites, but not top 25 or able to make a deep run, and for most schools they dream of that); whether you believe she was only hanging on for the money or really thought she could come back (I think she thought she could); and whether you really understand that while Rutgers can, like most programs, return to "glory", there is no reason to think they will any time soon. The only thing special about Rutgers and their success was CVS, she attracted the recruits (and once she didn't attract as many of them any more, you saw the decline).

I know that toward the end of Julies tenure as AD there were cuts in womens assistants salary but did that ever change under Hobbs. Seems after Carlene left overall the staff was below average and ultimately CVS paid the price

Um, I think we all have said she stayed too long. And ended up quitting at the most damaging time it could have been for the program.

Our disagreements are - how early she should have been replaced (it depends if you are willing to accept Rutgers as "ok" with winning seasons and NCAA invites, but not top 25 or able to make a deep run, and for most schools they dream of that); whether you believe she was only hanging on for the money or really thought she could come back (I think she thought she could); and whether you really understand that while Rutgers can, like most programs, return to "glory", there is no reason to think they will any time soon. The only thing special about Rutgers and their success was CVS, she attracted the recruits (and once she didn't attract as many of them any more, you saw the decline

It’s all about this simple fact she had ample time to reestablish Rutgers as a top 10-15 Program .C Viv did not do that. She refused to recruit a specific type player. She wound up recruiting outside NJ never re establishing any ties to New Jersey’s best. That is issue # 1. Then comes along the pandemic… she has issues involving Covid 19, the well being of her daughter ‘s future and the need to keep drawing her salary and benefits when asked to return… that is when the separation really occurred. She was done… out of gas… time to move aside. She could have accepted the job of advisor but… everyone needs to understand the days of competing for Championships in WBB were over.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT