ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers Women's Basketball Travels to Seton Hall for First Road Test

Anybody see the game???

It's crickets on here. ???

All I know is that it didn't sound good at all. Refs sounded a little overzealous but moreso, it sounded like more of the same sloppy play from our squad. Poor 3pt shooting, TURNOVERS, and unRU-like defense. Hope i'm wrong about the defense and that it may have been the refs that handcuffed them a bit. We got a lot of fouls(many of which were charges). Announcers seemed to suggest some bad calls on us.

• Haha
Reactions: silkcitypirate
Anybody see the game???

It's crickets on here. ???

All I know is that it didn't sound good at all. Refs sounded a little overzealous but moreso, it sounded like more of the same sloppy play from our squad. Poor 3pt shooting, TURNOVERS, and unRU-like defense. Hope i'm wrong about the defense and that it may have been the refs that handcuffed them a bit. We got a lot of fouls(many of which were charges). Announcers seemed to suggest some bad calls on us.

I was there in person….it will be a very long season. Coaching staff needs to up their game in recruiting both in numbers and talent level. Some of the worst rebounding and defense I’ve seen in years by any team. It was so bad we left in the beginning of 4Q. I don’t see this team winning a BIG game this year.

• Wow
Reactions: newell138
I was there in person….it will be a very long season. Coaching staff needs to up their game in recruiting both in numbers and talent level. Some of the worst rebounding and defense I’ve seen in years by any team. It was so bad we left in the beginning of 4Q. I don’t see this team winning a BIG game this year.
WOW!! Coming from you, now I'm really worried. I didn't want to say it, but I have been feeling like the team is not progressing enough. I hoped that this season we would be more competitive with teams like Auburn and SH.

Where is the hot 3pt shooting that I think most of us were expecting? Why is KB getting so little time? Why so many turnovers still?? So few assists.

I do also still worry about the recruiting. I love the pieces Coach has assembled so far, but we, like the Knicks, like the RUMBB team, need to land that elite superstar to take us to another level. I was hoping that, on the heels of Destiny's signing, we could have brought in another big-time talent or two. Didn't happen. I guess I should say, it hasn't happened just yet.

It's time for some more good news on the recruiting front. We've got a good one in Z. Perkins. We need another big-time recruit. Hopefully, Kah can have a huge impact alongside our staff.

A few announcements got by me. I'm just now learning the disappointing news about a couple of players that were on my wishlist.

Would have loved for us to get Kate Koval from LI Lutheran HS(NY) and the young lady from Ewing HS, Te'Yana Delfosse. It's tough enough to watch Zoe B, H. Hidalgo, and D. Quigley get away.

Koval is Notre Dame bound and Delfosse signed with........😤🤬..I'm gonna throwup...........MICHIGAN🤮.

😠Dangit NC St, ND, and Mich!!😡🤬🤬
Don't know if anybody saw this post from a couple of days ago, but it kinda sums up my frustrations with our program's sluggish resurgence.

Where is the hot 3pt shooting that I think most of us were expecting? Why is KB getting so little time? Why so many turnovers still?? So few assists.

Granted I only saw one game, but my observation is that we don't have any shooters or ball handlers. Seton Hall had 3 players that consistently hit threes and they ran plays to get them. Our offense consisted of getting it to Smikle or Adams to drive the lane hoping for a foul or layup. They handled the ball way too much. Maybe Petticord had a bad game, but she was not the leader or as skilled as a PG as I expected plus she got in foul trouble immediately. With the depth we don't have, must play smarter. And Bates bringing the ball up was just a disaster. She's long and lanky but really is an awkward tweener position-wise as she gets pushed around down low and cannot defend the wing.

I was really disappointed in Brown and Cornwell as they had such breakout seasons last year. They were typically money underneath both scoring and rebounding. Yesterday, they couldn't catch a ball when passed to the post or rebound off a miss.

Huerter doesn't look for her shot and I thought that was her strength. I will give her this...she and Thompson both showed a ton of hustle. The upperclassmen, not so much.

Coach Washington just looked flummoxed on the sideline at the terrible execution and effort. This is a worrying sign 4 games into the season IMO. And we have one, ONE signee next year. The portal is great for supplementing a recruited core or to fill a gap, but continuing to rely on it to fill a roster is not a winning formula. I hope this isn't CW's strategy long-term.

Granted I only saw one game, but my observation is that we don't have any shooters or ball handlers. Seton Hall had 3 players that consistently hit threes and they ran plays to get them. Our offense consisted of getting it to Smikle or Adams to drive the lane hoping for a foul or layup. They handled the ball way too much. Maybe Petticord had a bad game, but she was not the leader or as skilled as a PG as I expected plus she got in foul trouble immediately. With the depth we don't have, must play smarter. And Bates bringing the ball up was just a disaster. She's long and lanky but really is an awkward tweener position-wise as she gets pushed around down low and cannot defend the wing.

I was really disappointed in Brown and Cornwell as they had such breakout seasons last year. They were typically money underneath both scoring and rebounding. Yesterday, they couldn't catch a ball when passed to the post or rebound off a miss.

Huerter doesn't look for her shot and I thought that was her strength. I will give her this...she and Thompson both showed a ton of hustle. The upperclassmen, not so much.

Coach Washington just looked flummoxed on the sideline at the terrible execution and effort. This is a worrying sign 4 games into the season IMO. And we have one, ONE signee next year. The portal is great for supplementing a recruited core or to fill a gap, but continuing to rely on it to fill a roster is not a winning formula. I hope this isn't CW's strategy long-term.
Harsh realities.

Coach is working hard to sell her own brand of culture and style to top recruits. I doubt she has problems selling her personality, culture, and desired playing style. The current product has to help out to close the deal. There is enough talent there to be highly competitive with teams the caliber of the last two that we lost to in lopsided contests.

Poor shooting was a major problem in both losses. The other team makes threes, we don't......by mid 2nd quarter, the separation occurs. And like you said, Mya is still being groomed into a true PG. The others are working on their ballhandling (Destiny and Kaylene) so that they can be legit WNBA candidates. Antonia and Jillian have work to do probably strength-wise. Lisa is still getting acclimated. I think she may be the best option to help Mya with PG duties.

It is on Coach at this point though, to a get some significant wins. Beat some teams we are not supposed to beat. KnightTimeFan often references this, and it is what makes a coach gain the clout that recruits will buy into.

Reactions: Knight Time Fan
If these teams want to speed up the rebuild, they have to overachieve sometimes. When was the last time we raised an eyebrow with a surprising victory? You have to go back to few years now probably.

The last I can remember our team playing our style of defense was on those special game days last year when CVS and T Grentz were honored. Other than those games, we've pretty much lost that as a part of our identity. Our offense is not good enough to play soft on defense.

Gotta develop a more fruitful set of offensive plays that can get people open. That is probably the key to getting more big splashes in recruiting.

Reactions: KevH
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT