ADVERTISEMENT

Sam Brown

John Deere Heavy Equipment GIF by JC Property Professionals

He should get more run going forward. Should have used him on that fourth and goal, they didn’t stuff him once all day.

Reactions: RUbacker
Passing in that situation could also be read as a lack of confidence in our OLine. Our identity is a smash mouth run first team. We should’ve run the ball there and run Sam. He’s a big back who always falls forward and is rarely stuffed. Kyle is a good back but Sam clearly was having a better day. We need to go with the hot hand and not worry about hurting someone’s feelings by using the backup more.

Reactions: wheezer
Passing in that situation could also be read as a lack of confidence in our OLine. Our identity is a smash mouth run first team. We should’ve run the ball there and run Sam. He’s a big back who always falls forward and is rarely stuffed.
Our power run game isn’t as good as last year. That’s the trade off. Need to get more fades to Strong.

I agree. Isn't it the same five guys as last year on the O-line ? And the same outstanding RB as last year ?
Do we really miss Langan's blocking that much ?
The missing piece is KM as the lead blocker on QB power. KM is an excellent blocker.

We have been over that issue before. They gave up some big runs in previous games, some in garbage time with second units that skewed the stats.
Unfortunately many look at stats without any context and arrive at edumacated guesses about them. 😎 They are smarter than all of us who actually pay attention to the games.

Reactions: TRU2RU
I agree. Isn't it the same five guys as last year on the O-line ? And the same outstanding RB as last year ?
Do we really miss Langan's blocking that much ?
We lost Dunlap this year.

Looked strong and unyielding. On contact ‘I’m not done yet’ Sam Brown.

Reactions: Kbee3
We have been over that issue before. They gave up some big runs in previous games, some in garbage time with second units that skewed the stats.
So if you take away the big runs they gave up, their run D is solid? Got it. No sure which game had a lot of garbage time. They never really took control of any game until middle of Q4.

So if you take away the big runs they gave up, their run D is solid? Got it. No sure which game had a lot of garbage time. They never really took control of any game until middle of Q4.
Never threatened in their two wins. We ran effectively enough.

Yes, Brown ran well. But I have an alternate theory... VTech probably trained all week goaled on stopping Kyle Monangai. When the D saw number 5 back there, they keyed on runs up the middle. When 27 was back there.. not so much.

That's just a guess. But, still, Sam Brown ran very well. If there were more holes because VTech did not run blitz as much with him in.. then he hit those holes successfully.

As for TE blocking, I noticed something in an NFL game yesterday.. I saw a TE who stood near a hole not looking for someone to block.. there were many to block right near him.. but looking to grab his RB and push instead. It was very odd-looking. I wonder if anyone else has noticed this.

Our power run game isn’t as good as last year. That’s the trade off. Need to get more fades to Strong.

Big OLs in power run game get better as season goes on.
They aren't vicious, dancing bears plowing DLs in September.
OL wasn't as good in Sept last year as they were by Nov.
Look for the trend over coming weeks

Curtis Dunlap was better at RG than KA, doe.
Didn't Dunlap replace Asamoah in the starting lineup after five games last season ?
But Asamoah was also named the most improved player after Spring ball this year, no ?
He does still have problems sometimes in pass protection. But who doesn't ?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT