ADVERTISEMENT

Sanu to Falcons (OFFICIAL)

Good for him, nice second contract. Hope Hobbs is on the phone with him for a donation.

7 mil a year?

Friday-Meme-Damn-06.jpg

Looks like Matt Schaub is heading back to Atl also. He was drafted by the Falcons from UVa

Pretty sure that Sanu will be the first Rutgers player ever for Atlanta.

Last edited:
Reactions: Newbrunfus
Patrick Hobbs is sprinting over to The Bubble just in case Sanu is still there hanging out with the guys after Pro Day !!!

He should continue to see single coverage opposite Julio Jones who may actually be better than AJ Green. Plus Matty Ice is an improvement over Dalton.

Not that I have any reason to doubt but does anybody have any linkage to a source?
Hope it's true for him. Very nice.

Deal isn't done yet with Atlanta but he has been offered $7M per year. NE never would have paid that much but they lost out on Matthews so perhaps they are now willing to pay more. It's great to be a free agent at the right time.

Anyone know if there was a signing bonus? As you know, in the NFL it's all about guaranteed money.

Good for him. He is a credit to RU. Even though I don't follow the pro game I try to keep tabs on him. He will make any team better and was underutilized in Cinncy.

Looks like Matt Schaub is heading back to Atl also. He was drafted by the Falcons from UVa

Bruce Van Ness, Class of 1970 and a member of DKE was a 5th round draft pick by the Atlanta Falcons. Bruce played for the Falcons and then in Canada for Montreal. Bruce was an outstanding football and lacrosse player while at Rutgers. Unfortunately he passed away about 5-6 years ago. His is missed by all who knew him.

Bruce Van Ness, Class of 1970 and a member of DKE was a 5th round draft pick by the Atlanta Falcons. Bruce played for the Falcons and then in Canada for Montreal. Bruce was an outstanding football and lacrosse player while at Rutgers. Unfortunately he passed away about 5-6 years ago. His is missed by all who knew him.

The only reason I said that was because a couple of years ago, I was at the Hale Center, and they had a display with every RU football player and his NFL team that he played for. There was no one listed under the Falcons. I just looked up their all-time roster and Bruce Van Ness is not listed. He was definitely drafted in 1970, but must not have played with them. Maybe he went directly to Canada.

Reactions: Bleed_Scarlet
Now it's official - Sanu to Falcons 5 years for $32.5M with $14M guaranteed. A nice payday.

What position will he play?

Congrats to Sanu! - Wow - Glad to see him out of Cinci - decent team, but he was under utilized.

After Bruce retired from football in Canada he moved to the Boston area for a few years. I played on his midfield line on a club lacrosse team for 2 seasons. I'm not a Rutgers alum and Bruce is the main reason I'm a fan. The fun memory comes from when I was taking faceoffs and could watch my opponent start to turn white if we were tied up and Bruce, at 6'3" and 235 was charging in from the wing. I won a few because they simply bailed out.

Contract looks to be 5 year 32.5M, 14M guaranteed. With the way these things go in the NFL he'll "only" see the 14 million plus a little more. Good for him.

Guy on r/falcons suggests the contract could break down like this.
From the ESPN article: 7 mil signing bonus, or ~1.4 mil cap hit per year for 5 years. Should look something like this:
Salary: - base (guaranteed?) [yearly cap hit] {dead money}
2016 - 1 mil (G) [2.4 mil] {14 mil}
2017 - 6 mil (G) [7.4 mil] {11.6 mil}
2018 - 6 mil [7.4 mil] {4.2 mil}
2019 - 6 mil [7.4 mil] {2.8 mil}
2020 - 6.5 mil [7.9 mil] {1.4 mil}
Really this contract is a burden for the 2017 season where he is going to be paid 6 million and count 7.4 against the cap like it or not. After 2017 he can be cut for 4.2 mil in dead money (1.8 mil in cap savings for that year though).

Kid from Matawan played for Atlanta. Name is escaping me right now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT