ADVERTISEMENT

*** Scarlet Nation Podcast - Can Coach Ash turn this thing around? We ask a former player! ***

John Otterstedt

Hall of Famer
Jul 10, 2001
On the heels of an up and down start to the 2017 season, Scarlet Nation readers are wondering if the Scarlet Knights have the components and coaching to make a turnaround this year. And if not, they are wondering if the pieces are being put in place for a turnaround next year. We decided to explore those questions with the help of former Rutgers defensive lineman Pete Tverdov. His perspective was particularly informative not only because he played for the Scarlet Knights, but also since his brother is a freshman on the current squad. We also hear a bit from two Rutgers players in this podcast: Kyle Bolin and Myles Nash. Hear what they had to say!

You can listen to this podcast online via the link above, or you can download it on your device for later listening via apps like Itunes (Iphone) or Pocket Casts (Android)., If you have any questions about the best way to access, let me know.

Since the guy is a former player and his brother is on the current team I hardly doubt he says anything objective. Maybe he really believes a turn around is coming, but if he doesn't he sure as hell ain't gonna say that .
If I am wrong , I really put my foot in my mouth and apologize .

Since the guy is a former player and his brother is on the current team I hardly doubt he says anything objective. Maybe he really believes a turn around is coming, but if he doesn't he sure as hell ain't gonna say that .
If I am wrong , I really put my foot in my mouth and apologize .
You could actually just listen to the content and comment on it then. Rather than just make negative assumptions.

You could actually just listen to the content and comment on it then. Rather than just make negative assumptions.

Fair enough . I will listen when I get to it . If I am wrong I will own up to it , and if I am right I expect you to own up to it as well.

Fair enough . I will listen when I get to it . If I am wrong I will own up to it , and if I am right I expect you to own up to it as well.
Nah, I have nothing to own up to. I'm not calling you out on being wrong. I'm calling you out for being negative about what simply is a cool new feature that was made available to the board without even having the courtesy to listen to it. That point stands regardless of the content of the podcast.

Nah, I have nothing to own up to. I'm not calling you out on being wrong. I'm calling you out for being negative about what simply is a cool new feature that was made available to the board without even having the courtesy to listen to it. That point stands regardless of the content of the podcast.

Ok well I listened, because you're right I shouldn't have posted what tderov would say without listening. I actually did not hear the specific question posted in this thread title : "can ash turn this thing around ?"
However, it was a good listen and tdervov gave some honest opinions. Some answers had me feeling good about rutgers football, others not so much.
Now back to the original question: can ash turn this thing around ? It's obvious the jury is still out in all corners. I do reccomend the podcast .

Ok well I listened, because you're right I shouldn't have posted what tderov would say without listening. I actually did not hear the specific question posted in this thread title : "can ash turn this thing around ?"
However, it was a good listen and tdervov gave some honest opinions. Some answers had me feeling good about rutgers football, others not so much.
Now back to the original question: can ash turn this thing around ? It's obvious the jury is still out in all corners. I do reccomend the podcast .
What is "this thing"?
Title made me think of :

Very fair and balanced opinions.
1. The loss last week is on the team as much as the coaching staff.
2. Not every team on our schedule is a world beater.
3. Any team can beat another on any given Saturday- if your team is not ready to play they will lose.
4. On Purdue- "Everyone looks different every week." "This week everyone at Rutgers wants to jump off a cliff." "Injuries happen. Lose depth.."

Reactions: RUReadyD
Plum maybe you should go back and listen to again. Pete was pretty straight up. Last year's upper class was more concerned about partying. He says we can go bowling next year. 4 wins this year. Talent that we do have is young. Strength coaches doing a real good job.

Talked about schools that really negatively recruited Rutgers. And then were basically lying to his brother. Boston College lied to his brother so badly. He wanted to tear into the recruiter and head coach of BC.

Who recruited Mike Tverdov at BC? Camp?

Terrific podcast. Interesting comments about Boston College negatively recruiting and lying to his brother . Bastards.

Terrific podcast. Interesting comments about Boston College negatively recruiting and lying to his brother . Bastards.

Just part of the recruiting game. When you have trash facilities, you have to stand out in other ways. Don't know ashs style, but Schiano loved to trash Syracuse. George Deleone, previous coach at Syracuse, used to trash us good.

Got a chance to listen to this podcast yesterday. Thought it was one of the best episodes yet. Great insight by Tverdov.

I was more critical of one of the earlier episodes that also had an interview, so I wanted to make sure to comment on this one as well, which was extremely interesting and valuable. Great job.

Reactions: John Otterstedt
On the heels of an up and down start to the 2017 season, Scarlet Nation readers are wondering if the Scarlet Knights have the components and coaching to make a turnaround this year. And if not, they are wondering if the pieces are being put in place for a turnaround next year. We decided to explore those questions with the help of former Rutgers defensive lineman Pete Tverdov. His perspective was particularly informative not only because he played for the Scarlet Knights, but also since his brother is a freshman on the current squad. We also hear a bit from two Rutgers players in this podcast: Kyle Bolin and Myles Nash. Hear what they had to say!

You can listen to this podcast online via the link above, or you can download it on your device for later listening via apps like Itunes (Iphone) or Pocket Casts (Android)., If you have any questions about the best way to access, let me know.
John,
Great stuff. Pete seems like a great guy and I'm glad he called out BC negative recruiting and lying to his brother. It's good for the local recruits to hear that too.

Great show!! thanks John. wasn't always easy to hear PT's honest assessment... but interesting none-the-less.

The discussion of recruiting (especially how schools continue to negatively recruit) was extremely interesting... everyone should listen (BC sucks! :) )

Last edited:
great pod cast, well spoken by mr.t...hope his bro plays like big bro...if so,we
have great future.....thanks john...great work​

The Tverdov interview was well done and insightful. Thanks for this and keep 'em coming!

Tverdov needs to tell this story to Politi.... we need more people to hear this than just us.

I remember when he committed. He was the last recruit in the class and some questioned if he was a good pickup b/c no other P5 offers. Word was he was undersized but just crazy-strong.

He wound up having an excellent career at RU; a real grinder and eventual anchor on the DL. As soon as I saw Mike Tverdov's name come up this time around, I was thrilled! Keep it in the family.

Reactions: Rokodesh
Plum St is just another hack who without even listening is negative on John's podcast. Why do we put up with this crap? It adds nothing to anything!! And then he gives a half baked apology if he may be wrong.....in his opinion? Give us a break and find another team to follow.

Plum St is just another hack who without even listening is negative on John's podcast. Why do we put up with this crap? It adds nothing to anything!! And then he gives a half baked apology if he may be wrong.....in his opinion? Give us a break and find another team to follow.

I am sorry you felt my apology was half baked . What else would you like me to do to cater to you?

I remember when he committed. He was the last recruit in the class and some questioned if he was a good pickup b/c no other P5 offers. Word was he was undersized but just crazy-strong.

He wound up having an excellent career at RU; a real grinder and eventual anchor on the DL. As soon as I saw Mike Tverdov's name come up this time around, I was thrilled! Keep it in the family.
You sure? I remember PT being a pretty good recruit. Anyway excited to see his brother next year.

You sure? I remember PT being a pretty good recruit. Anyway excited to see his brother next year.

I remember it very clearly. He was a 2-star w/no offers and committed in July. There was a fair bit of hand-wringing with that class - filled with 2-stars and projects. There was the typical "signing day surprise monster recruit" that didn't turn out...and the last ship went to Pete. He was only 6'3 208 lbs but word was he was strong. He put on 60 pounds over the course of his career, and really was outstanding. Here's his rivals profile:

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2005/peter-tverdov-27784https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2005/peter-tverdov-27784

Looking back, that '05 class is quite eye opening. By Rivals Team rankings, it was the 2nd worst ranking (68) since '02. It's also not really even close - most years, our ranking was in a range between 30 - 45. The only class that had a worse ranking is 2016 (78) --- but that is misleading. In 2016 there were only 18 recruits, and the number of recruits does impact rankings.

For such a 'bad' class, so many solid NFL players came out of it; McCourty brothers, Underwood, Rice, Stapleton, Haslam. Several others had outstanding careers - Malast, Studivant, Munoz & Pierre-Etienne. That is a truly remarkable success rate of player development. Jerome Messam- the 4* - 'star recruit' never made it to NCAA due to grades but wound up being an outstanding player in the CFL. It just goes to show you how much we should take the star rankings with a grain of salt. So much can be developed.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT