ADVERTISEMENT

Schedule Starting to Leak Out

Heard we are opening with Lehigh at RU. Should be a good test with what will likely be a top level PL team.
Cali, what time of year do they usually release the official schedule? Opening weekend has been the first weekend of February recently, so I'm thinking between Thanksgiving and Christmas for a schedule release?

Looking at some of these schedules and they are brutal. Hopkins also plays Navy, Towson, Syracuse, Denver, UNC, and Loyola in addition to BIG.

Cali, what time of year do they usually release the official schedule? Opening weekend has been the first weekend of February recently, so I'm thinking between Thanksgiving and Christmas for a schedule release?

Usually around the holidays if I recall correctly. Could be wrong though.

I'm starting to change my thoughts on the schedule. It's all about the B1G. Of course the OOC season matters but how we do in the B1G determines our fate.

What websites do you guys use for recruiting results? I only ask because year after year I hear we are not recruiting HS players as well as our conference mates and I want to see tangible evidence of where we rank relative to other top 20 programs.

What websites do you guys use for recruiting results? I only ask because year after year I hear we are not recruiting HS players as well as our conference mates and I want to see tangible evidence of where we rank relative to other top 20 programs.

Inside Lacrosse. I'm sure there others.

IL seems like the most popular one. I wouldn't put much stock in them. After a couple of can't miss prospects each class, it's a crapshoot. It's two guys sitting in Baltimore, one of whom never played lacrosse that are doing these rankings. I've said it before- It's not NBA scouting we are talking about here. There is no way they can see every player, and even the ones they see, I am not sure they know what they are looking at.

See Ross Scott and Shane Knobloch for starters. Ross blew up in the camp circuit and they saw him. Shane Knobloch wasn't even listed in their top 100 recruits and he played the first day he stepped on campus. They don't realize what they are seeing. It happens a lot in their recruiting rankings.

Even based on their rankings, Brian and staff have raised the bar in the last few classes specifically. It's fun to discuss, but at the end of the day, it doesn't mean anything.

I would also add that what Brian and staff value is definitely different than some of the other programs. Not to say we get every kid we want and that some of the kids we don't get aren't recruited by other big time programs- but there are certain schools in our conference for starters, that I would be shocked if we are offering a lot of the same prospects. Sure there is some overlap, in fact I know there is, but I bet it's not a lot.

Brian and staff value athleticism. They love multi sport athletes. I can't think of even one kid on the roster than didn't play at least one other sport or more.

System kids as Brian calls them don't do well at Rutgers. You can teach athletes how to play lacrosse when they focus on it. You can't teach kids to run faster or be much quicker.

Reactions: Wagram97
IL seems like the most popular one. I wouldn't put much stock in them. After a couple of can't miss prospects each class, it's a crapshoot. It's two guys sitting in Baltimore, one of whom never played lacrosse that are doing these rankings. I've said it before- It's not NBA scouting we are talking about here. There is no way they can see every player, and even the ones they see, I am not sure they know what they are looking at.

See Ross Scott and Shane Knobloch for starters. Ross blew up in the camp circuit and they saw him. Shane Knobloch wasn't even listed in their top 100 recruits and he played the first day he stepped on campus. They don't realize what they are seeing. It happens a lot in their recruiting rankings.

Even based on their rankings, Brian and staff have raised the bar in the last few classes specifically. It's fun to discuss, but at the end of the day, it doesn't mean anything.
Oh I definitely know they are not gospel. Just looking for another resource to devour. I know your high on the team most years and with good reason...the results are usually there. I think its fair to say that the program is somewhere in between last years results and the prior two tournament runs which is impressive given that we dont grab the big names out of the portal or the polished system guys out of HS like we may wish.

Not too be too much of a fan, but think this team could be much closer to the playoff teams then others think (certainly the media). Maybe not elite but would guess we surprise a lot of teams during the season. Last team was close but just lacked the depth, which is what Brecht seemed to bring in with the transfers (and think there are some steals in this years transfer haul). Plus throw in a really good recruiting class - could have another Knobloch in this class. Heck, any team with a Ross Scott and a Shane Knobloch is going to be right there in the race.

And completely agree with Cali, it's all about the conference this year. Lot of parity and any 3 wins are going to be huge wins.

It's really early so it's not fair to expect solid predictions at this point but the one thing you can say, and it's very obvious, is the team will have more options this year. Hopefully we can stay healthy. We've had a bit of bad luck the last two years in that department.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT