ADVERTISEMENT

Scouting Nebraska

rutgershoopsinsider

Sophomore
Gold Member
Jan 28, 2023
KenPom projects Nebraska to win 70-69. Very hard to see this current Rutgers team scoring 69 points. I know the Huskers aren't great defensively but if Rutgers continues to have scoring droughts, they're going to get smoked at The RAC.

Rutgers is going to have to play high-pressure defense (not full court press) but also mix in a little 2-3 zone. They will have to defend the perimeter and shut down Tominaga & Wilcher. Wilcher is Nebraska's most dangerous 3 PT shooter at 43% on the year. Rutgers is also going to have to watch Nebraska cut 'n slash to the basket by clogging up the lanes. Nebraska is a VERY effective team at 2 PT shooting. Tominaga, Mast, and Williams are Nebraska's high volume 2 PT shooters and all are converting at more than 80%.

Rutgers might want to dial down the full court press as Nebraska is fast and if they break the press, Rutgers will struggle in transition defense. This happened last year to Rutgers and Rutgers got burned bad. When Tominaga isn't on the floor, Rutgers should press Williams, Allick and Lawrence as all three are prone to turning the ball over.

Offensively, Rutgers just needs to make shots. We already know Nebraska is atrocious at defending the perimeter but Rutgers can't make three-point shots. I said this last week against Michigan State, Rutgers MUST avoid getting into shootout with Nebraska. If Rutgers gets into a shootout from deep, the game will easily go to Nebraska. Rutgers just needs to do the simple things, make layups and finish around the motherf***ing rim. I would like to see Austin Williams get more touches on the ball and drives to the hoop. Pike has to set him up for success. I say this each game, Cliff needs to get the ball but he needs to find ways to get to the basket and convert on high percentage shots. He needs to stop this back to the basket shit and try making hook shots. It's NOT working.

Can Derek Simpson get into a rhythm? Expect Mag and Hyatt to be Rutgers' biggest contributors.

At the end of the day, this feels like Nebraska is going to win. They are the faster and more efficient team offensively BUT it's college basketball and you never know. Penn State stunned Wisconsin last night and I thought Penn State was HORRENDOUS.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News