ADVERTISEMENT

SKWC PinPool

William J Moses

Freshman
Dec 6, 2019
During this season of giving please consider supporting the Scarlet Knights Wrestling Club by participating in it PinPool or PinPool+ programs. This can be done with a pledge of as little as $1 per pin. Your support is greatly appreciated. The link can be found here https://scarletknightswrestlingclub.com/

William J. Moses: Can you explain what SKWC staff gets $ from our contributions and how money is being spent. It has been reported that at the golf outing, Coach Goodale said we have over $700,000. It seems that we have one resident athlete in Rivera who have can attract great recruits and help our current wrestlers. Don't understand where the money from the pin poll, golf outing, and other fundraising goes. It feels it may be going to a black hole. Web site says Pagano, Silva, and Bagakov are resident athletes. I am sure they are loyal and good people. They don't seemed as accomplished as the athletes who are at Columbia, Penn, Penn State, and Lehigh that make it worthwhile for their fans to contribute.

Don't want to cause trouble. I refrain from posting as at times when posters ask a question or raises a concern, they are criticized. Just trying to learn what is going on.

William J. Moses: Can you explain what SKWC staff gets $ from our contributions and how money is being spent. It has been reported that at the golf outing, Coach Goodale said we have over $700,000. It seems that we have one resident athlete in Rivera who have can attract great recruits and help our current wrestlers. Don't understand where the money from the pin poll, golf outing, and other fundraising goes. It feels it may be going to a black hole. Web site says Pagano, Silva, and Bagakov are resident athletes. I am sure they are loyal and good people. They don't seemed as accomplished as the athletes who are at Columbia, Penn, Penn State, and Lehigh that make it worthwhile for their fans to contribute.

Don't want to cause trouble. I refrain from posting as at times when posters ask a question or raises a concern, they are criticized. Just trying to learn what is going on.
Good luck.

This deserves an answer. My only comment until the staff gets back to me is that the $700000 is probably in endowments and only the income that money generates can be used.

Before I get into an answer I want you to know that I'm simply a fan who was asked to help with the PinPool. In the 7-8 years that I have been a season ticket holder I've had 0 conversations with the coaches. I did reach out to them today and did get a reply. I will post the answer tomorrow because tonight I'm busy with my grandchildren. Nothing will be shocking. I was correct about the 700K, only the gains from those investments can be used. At 4% (I don't know the real number) that would only total 28K for SKWC use.

Before I get into an answer I want you to know that I'm simply a fan who was asked to help with the PinPool. In the 7-8 years that I have been a season ticket holder I've had 0 conversations with the coaches. I did reach out to them today and did get a reply. I will post the answer tomorrow because tonight I'm busy with my grandchildren. Nothing will be shocking. I was correct about the 700K, only the gains from those investments can be used. At 4% (I don't know the real number) that would only total 28K for SKWC use.
That would explain the overall uninspiring list of residential athletes

Mr. Moses thanks for your response. Unfortunately, the thread is going downhill. No need to provide more info.
Thanks for quoting me. I stand by what I say.

Based on your response, I guess it's cool to denigrate the athletes that choose to wrestle for the scarlet Knight club. Didn't look like you had anything to say when the previous poster insulted our athletes.

I have been on this forum and talk wrestling and Rutgers plenty. Have no problem with anyone critiquing athletes. But not gonna stay quiet if someone is disrespectful to the guys who choose to be here.

Reactions: DUForever
Donate, donate more, help fundraise, or shut up. You sound like a dick.
Ok pal. I’m not even criticizing the program. The 700k number has been brought up several times in regards to why we can’t bring in national champions as residential athletes. Moses gave us the answer and I appreciate his transparency.

I’m not even criticizing the program so please get off your high horse. I’m not even one of the people who talks poorly of the program, but congrats on proving barrelroll’s point regarding people going wild over any criticism.

Thanks for quoting me. I stand by what I say.

Based on your response, I guess it's cool to denigrate the athletes that choose to wrestle for the scarlet Knight club. Didn't look like you had anything to say when the previous poster insulted our athletes.

I have been on this forum and talk wrestling and Rutgers plenty. Have no problem with anyone critiquing athletes. But not gonna stay quiet if someone is disrespectful to the guys who choose to be here.
I appreciate everything the residential athletes do for the program.

I can also confidently say that if the list of residential athletes doesn’t improve, then the club isn’t going anywhere.

These are not mutually exclusive things.

There are a lot of ways to say we want more guys on the skwc and be tactful. This is not one. This doesn't sound appreciative. It just sounds shitty.
That would explain the overall uninspiring list of residential athletes

Go tell Rivera and Silvs they are part of an uninspired list of athletes that have chosen to work out w the SKWC. If you can do that then I'll take back what I said.

The goal of the pin pool is to raise $300,000 this year. With that money the SKWC pays resident athletes, coaching staff and travel expenses for members competing at national and international events. It also goes toward the expenses of younger athletes who compete at the U23 level.

I don’t know what the resident athletes get paid but according to Forbes the average income for someone with a bachelors degree is $59,600 so let’s pay that as a base. We need to provide health insurance to our athletes. I looked on the net and reasonable insurance costs about $8,000 a year. If we support 2 athletes our account is left with $14,800. Budget 3-4 international tournaments a year and the $150,000 is accounted for.

If you want Snyder, Burroughs, Taylor, Gilman or Dake you will most likely have to double or triple that base pay amount.

The goal of the pin pool is to raise $300,000 this year. With that money the SKWC pays resident athletes, coaching staff and travel expenses for members competing at national and international events. It also goes toward the expenses of younger athletes who compete at the U23 level.

I don’t know what the resident athletes get paid but according to Forbes the average income for someone with a bachelors degree is $59,600 so let’s pay that as a base. We need to provide health insurance to our athletes. I looked on the net and reasonable insurance costs about $8,000 a year. If we support 2 athletes our account is left with $14,800. Budget 3-4 international tournaments a year and the $150,000 is accounted for.

If you want Snyder, Burroughs, Taylor, Gilman or Dake you will most likely have to double or triple that base pay amount.
Depending on each individual‘s deal with the SKWC housing may also be subsidized. Someone with more current information than me can comment on the overall annual cost of a world team member resident athlete but I can guarantee that it is much higher than Bill’s number. He is certainly correct in his assumptions as to what that level of athlete can command in compensation.

Please also keep in mind that the RTC’s at Penn State, Penn/Drexel, Cornell, Michigan, and others have either billionaires or successful companies backing them. Iowa is in a campaign to raise $15 million for their endowment. Do the math on that against our $700,000 endowment.

In addition to the ”whale” donors other RTC’s have a long history. We are relative newcomers to this arena. Just as the SKWC was in a really good growth trajectory both in dollars donated and number of donors COVID hit. Yes, it affected every other RTC as well but it hit the SKWC at a particularly inopportune time. For reference the SKWC in 2018 - 2019 had more PAID members than the TD Club and the Court Club combined.

Bill is putting a lot of effort into making the PinPool a success this year. Historically there are some donors who wait until later in the season to make their pledge so the per pin total will go up but without new participants it will be difficult to hit the goal.

Last edited:
We had Myles Martin who was a national champ. Could we get another top ranked athlete with the money that was going to Martin. If we got an accomplished upper weight like Myles it would help attract recruits and benefit existing wrestlers.

• Haha
Reactions: mikemessner
We had Myles Martin who was a national champ. Could we get another top ranked athlete with the money that was going to Martin. If we got an accomplished upper weight like Myles it would help attract recruits and benefit existing wrestlers.
Maybe, maybe not? To understand the benefit of having resident athletes, I would want to know what obligations they have to the club and Rutgers wrestlers. I once asked what responsibility Martin had and was told: "to wrestle". That did not give me confidence that the money was being well spent, to say the least. I appreciate barrelroll's question and the replies that he got, but there is more to learn.

Why does any wrestler join an RTC? I presume it is for their own need to train with quality competition. Money may be secondary or primary in some cases. Rivera doesn't have anyone there to push him, so he's there for the benefit he can get from Buxton - correct? We saw Ashnault leave for the reason of seeking talent to train with. There needs to be a talent base in order to attract talent. That's a chicken or egg dilemma and an expensive one too.

Given the financials and near-term financial outlook, I don't see the SKWC improving significantly in the foreseeable future, especially if the past is any indication. I've suggested and will do so again - use the money to hire talent dedicated to helping with the Rutgers wrestlers, either on a full-time or part-time basis. I don't care much about athletes coming there for their own benefit; I'd like to see it benefit the team. Any contract should be clear about expectations and responsibilities.

Agree entirely. Not being able to use the 700k for anything else except to generate income means funding has to come from elsewhere. Hopefully we can get to a point where we can afford to pay guys with national titles and other major accolades.

I went to the golf outing years ago and I remember people asking if there was a business plan they can see or system in place for growth and the answer was less than forthcoming. Not saying there is anything nefarious and I appreciate the people that are involved. When you are asking for sponsors and donations you better have transparency and a clear vision.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT