ADVERTISEMENT

Slightly OT: Purdue's Caleb Swanigan has changed his body and his life

HeyHuey

All American
Jun 16, 2008
What a great story...

Throughout his youth, he floated between unstable housing situations and homeless shelters, back and forth between Indianapolis and Utah, as his mother, Tanya, tried to stabilize her life with six children, all while his father, Carl Swanigan Sr., wrestled with a crack-cocaine addiction. Swanigan developed a complicated relationship with food as he was surrounded by the unhealthy options peddled to those who can't afford to consider quality -- sugary cereal, ice cream, pizza. Today, however, the projected All-American resists the demon that haunted him before he lost more than 100 pounds in high school.

His father's drug habit created a monsoon of instability. In 1995, a reporter at the Deseret News wrote that Carl Swanigan Sr. knew he "was dragging his family into poverty." Swanigan recalls staying at five different homeless shelters throughout his youth. Before eighth grade, former Purdue football star Roosevelt Barnes, now a sports agent worth $14 million, according to Forbes.com, adopted a 13-year-old Swanigan and moved the young man to Fort Wayne, Indiana.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...-obesity-homelessness-become-big-nba-prospect

I believe RU recruited a kid out of Washington DC in the early 2000s that was 6-9 and weighed over 300 lbs . I could be wrong about that
But if my memory is correct, by the time Byron Joynes left RU, he looked great , had the energy to play, though his skill set wasn't as good as first thought even if he gave his all and was in great condition

He looks great, I watched Purdue the other night vs Penn State

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT