ADVERTISEMENT

Baseball Sosa staying with Rutgers!!

Richie O

Hall of Famer
Staff
Mar 21, 2016
South Amboy, NJ
PISCATAWAY, N.J. (July 12, 2019) – After being selected in the 19th round (pick 567) of the MLB Draft by the Toronto Blue Jays last month, Rutgers baseball signee Gustavo Sosa has announced his decision to head to campus and become a Scarlet Knight this fall. The catcher from Staten Island had until Friday’s 5 p.m. deadline to consider the professional contract.

“I thought a lot about this decision and I’m super excited to see what the next few years hold for me at Rutgers,” Sosa said. “I’m just going to continue to be myself, work hard and let God do the rest. Looking forward to being part of the team.”

“We are extremely excited to get an athlete of Gus’ caliber to join the program,” head coach Steve Owens said. “He is someone that we are confident will develop into an impact player that will help us in our journey of building Rutgers baseball.”

Gustavo Sosa

C | 6-2 | 180 | R/R

Staten Island, N.Y./Tottenville High School

Notes: Played this past season at Tottenville High School in Staten Island … helped team to a 15-4 record, winning the PSAL AAA Southern Division … had a .590 on-base percentage for the season with 16 hits and 17 walks … drove in 15 runs and scored 18 times … added seven stolen bases … hit 4-for-6 with three walks, five RBIs and four stolen bases in three playoff games … previously played at Moore Catholic … named First Team All-Staten Island … a Third Team Preseason Underclass All-American … played travel baseball with Richmond County Baseball Club from 2013-18 … took part in mix martial arts for six years … takes part in yoga … son of Gustavo and Lisa Sosa … has two older twins sisters, Carina and Carolina … sisters are in college studying special education and sign language.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News