ADVERTISEMENT

Stephen F Austin, 5 Thoughts

A

anon_0k9zlfz6lz9oy

1) Yeboah is a big time player. You can see hes starting to get more and more comfortable with our team. Its amazing to me how much of a team player he is. Theres times where hes set and ready for a 3 and doesnt get the ball (usually when JY has it) and you can tell hes frustrated but he hustles back and pulls down a big board. Hes also such a unique player in the sense that hes a knock down 3 point shooter but when he puts the ball on the floor when guys close out too hard, hes an absolute bull when he goes to the rim. Really tough player and a kid who has a nice stroke at the foul line. So happy to have him. Had some really big boards to close out the game too.

2) Pike has found his go to lineup. We saw it again at the end of the game today. Geo-Caleb-Ron-Yeboah-Myles. Just a really really strong lineup that is strong all around at everything, defensively, boards, iq, foul shots (minus myles), handle. Id like to see this lineup for longer stretches though. This lineup really spaces the floor for us.

3) Another big time performance by Caleb. 5-9 from the field, boards, assists, forcing turnovers. The kid is just a winner, an absolute baller. Hes slowly becoming our single most consistent player night in and night out. Every night you pretty much know what youll get from mcconnell. A guy whos always in the right spot, makes the smart play and consistently around the ball. His stroke from 3 and the rotation on his shot is so so nice. What a defensive menace he is too, just so long and athletic. Hes a good one and only getting better.

4) Jacob Young still playing out of control. Another 5 turnovers in just 22 minutes. In the final 4 mins or so when he was still in he attempted an ill advised ally oop for a turnover to ron very early in the shot clock right when stephen f austin was making their final push to try to close the gap. Luckily pike saw what was up and it led to a quick yank. His on ball defense is very good, hes weak on getting around screens sometimes though as he loses his man. Hes a frustrating player. You can see the potential but he just lacks it between his ears. Again, really think his best role is 15 mins of energy off the bench.

5) foul shooting- Brutal on paper 17-28. It was 9-19 at one point before our “closers” who all shoot well from the line came in to close out the game. It’s really gotta improve. We finished the game 8-9 from the line but early on we were brutal. Myles 1-5. Its just simply gotta improve. Some of the makes werent swishes either. Unfortunately foul shots are recruited not taught. More the reason I think Caleb and Yeboah need more minutes. Excellent from the line a combined 8-11 from the line tonight for them which is in line/slight below with their average.

Next couple tune up games should be focused on locking down a rotation so when we go into the pitt, msu, wiscy, shu stretch that we know what the plan is and our guys are comfortable playing with one another. Give me longer streches with Geo-McConnell-Harper-Yeboah-Myles. Particularly in the last 10 minutes of each half when youre close to bonus territory

Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty spot on... One hope for Young is he is still shaking off rust/finding his rhythm but as I said in the live game thread, he will be the most frustrating player on the team this season. Highs so high. Lows so low

Reactions: 78CollegeAve
Also, id be remiss not to mention that caleb is drawing the assignment of pretty much any player between 6’2 and 6’7 whos a 1-3 top scorer and doing a heckuva job. When he was on the floor he was all over Harris who is a kid who declared and decided to come back. He was locked in. Kid HATES to lose and is super competitive

Also, id be remiss not to mention that caleb is drawing the assignment of pretty much any player between 6’2 and 6’7 whos a 1-3 top scorer and doing a heckuva job. When he was on the floor he was all over Harris who is a kid who declared and decided to come back. He was locked in. Kid HATES to lose and is super competitive
They said he spent the off-season working on his defense and locking in. Just hearing that was his focus is more than half the battle

Good OP. I would add that Harper needs to put together two good halves. He kind of disappeared again on offense in the second half. Geo has the same problem, but it is usually the first half for him. I also thought Doucoure was solid tonight. If he can knock of the rust, he might take Carter’s minutes. Carter has been disappointing as a senior and has shown very little to justify PT this year.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Good OP. I would add that Harper needs to put together two good halves. He kind of disappeared again on offense in the second half. Geo has the same problem, but it is usually the first half for him. I also thought Doucoure was solid tonight. If he can knock of the rust, he might take Carter’s minutes. Carter has been disappointing as a senior and has shown very little to justify PT this year.
Agree with everything. Harper needs to be more assertive and throw his weight around more. Hes been the biggest disappointment for me this year. Not that hes been bad, its just because I had really high expectations

Agree with everything. Harper needs to be more assertive and throw his weight around more. Hes been the biggest disappointment for me this year. Not that hes been bad, its just because I had really high expectations

it actually may be better that Harper is not taking that many shots. I think less could be more with him on offense and it may allow for some other offensive options

My takes:

1. Yeboah was the key in the 2nd half. He made big shots...He was steady. Hoping this is a real positive sign of things to come.

2. Key lineup in 2nd half that spured us was Geo - Young - Dourcore - Mulcahy - Yeboah. Pike stayed with the lineup for about 6-7 minutes.

3. Pike was not as sub happy in 2nd half. Good to see.

4. Jacob Young: He's like Sybil. You're going to see the Good Jacob and the Bad Jacob all in minutes.

5. Caleb: was never a big fan; thought he was a 15 minute per game guy...but damn he's winning me over...needs to play 25 minute a games minimally.

Geo, McConnell, Harper Yeboah, Myles is the lineup I’ve been preaching, so I’m very happy to hear it. You can just see that Yaboah is a player and a smart unselfish one at that. I still believe Paul will be a difference maker once he settles in. Young should only be inserted sparingly when Geo comes out. He’ll give them a little more offense when geo is on the bench, but won’t steal shots away from Geo. Mathis or Paul should grab the minutes for the guards off the bench and each gives you different skill sets depending on what the game calls for. This team is definitely starting to find their roles. Lastly Harper will settle in and play great for us, the correct lineup will help him out a ton.

My only gripe was the BS Technical on Caleb...he still should’ve kept it together better because it’s gonna get even more physical real soon....but I love his Moxie!
Kid is so tough and plays for keeps. My thing is, if youre not gonna call the and 1 at least let him flex. You can the and 1 and he still flexes and death stares the kid, ok maybe. That ref with the white hair had a bad night. Bo was uncharacteristically good though

Some different takes:

1) I can't put my finger on it, but Doucoure has looked pretty solid and should get more minutes. Maybe it's assertiveness? He's only gotten a few offensive looks, but I feel like he just makes his presence known on the boards and on defense lately

2) is it just me or do we set poor screens? I feel like opposing guards are able to fight through them easily and we rarely get a screen where it's "shoulder to shoulder." Someone like Young could really benefit from that, if he could drive hard and get a step ahead or split the defense, if they overplay. We're not utilizing his speed enough. It's often just 1v1 drives from him.

3) Think we're too unselfish at times. Think we often get looks where we can just catch and shoot automatically. At least certain people should just have the green light as we often hesitate and then allow the defense to close back in. I.e. A great shooter has 3 feet of space and passes off to a guy with 5 feet. Yea, the second guy has more space, but they're both technically open and I'd rather just have the first guy shoot it, if he's the better shooter.

1) Yeboah is a big time player. You can see hes starting to get more and more comfortable with our team. Its amazing to me how much of a team player he is. Theres times where hes set and ready for a 3 and doesnt get the ball (usually when JY has it) and you can tell hes frustrated but he hustles back and pulls down a big board. Hes also such a unique player in the sense that hes a knock down 3 point shooter but when he puts the ball on the floor when guys close out too hard, hes an absolute bull when he goes to the rim. Really tough player and a kid who has a nice stroke at the foul line. So happy to have him. Had some really big boards to close out the game too.

2) Pike has found his go to lineup. We saw it again at the end of the game today. Geo-Caleb-Ron-Yeboah-Myles. Just a really really strong lineup that is strong all around at everything, defensively, boards, iq, foul shots (minus myles), handle. Id like to see this lineup for longer stretches though. This lineup really spaces the floor for us.

3) Another big time performance by Caleb. 5-9 from the field, boards, assists, forcing turnovers. The kid is just a winner, an absolute baller. Hes slowly becoming our single most consistent player night in and night out. Every night you pretty much know what youll get from mcconnell. A guy whos always in the right spot, makes the smart play and consistently around the ball. His stroke from 3 and the rotation on his shot is so so nice. What a defensive menace he is too, just so long and athletic. Hes a good one and only getting better.

4) Jacob Young still playing out of control. Another 5 turnovers in just 22 minutes. In the final 4 mins or so when he was still in he attempted an ill advised ally oop for a turnover to ron very early in the shot clock right when stephen f austin was making their final push to try to close the gap. Luckily pike saw what was up and it led to a quick yank. His on ball defense is very good, hes weak on getting around screens sometimes though as he loses his man. Hes a frustrating player. You can see the potential but he just lacks it between his ears. Again, really think his best role is 15 mins of energy off the bench.

5) foul shooting- Brutal on paper 17-28. It was 9-19 at one point before our “closers” who all shoot well from the line came in to close out the game. It’s really gotta improve. We finished the game 8-9 from the line but early on we were brutal. Myles 1-5. Its just simply gotta improve. Some of the makes werent swishes either. Unfortunately foul shots are recruited not taught. More the reason I think Caleb and Yeboah need more minutes. Excellent from the line a combined 8-11 from the line tonight for them which is in line/slight below with their average.

Next couple tune up games should be focused on locking down a rotation so when we go into the pitt, msu, wiscy, shu stretch that we know what the plan is and our guys are comfortable playing with one another. Give me longer streches with Geo-McConnell-Harper-Yeboah-Myles. Particularly in the last 10 minutes of each half when youre close to bonus territory
Quick game review; We were terrible in the first half especially Geo who had 4 turnovers and I think only 3 points he insists on trying to dribble through 3 people but as a whole the team was terrible with the turnovers and we were in this case fortunate to be saved by 3 point shooting go figure!!

I still remember a few guys saying Caleb would not even be in the rotation. I said that one pro scout raved about him last year after our last home game. The guy needs to play minutes. I also think our best lineup is Geo, Caleb, Harper, Johnson & Yeboah. I think Young & Mulcahy will soon be the first two guys off the bench. Mathis is quick and good on defense but he must improve his outside shooting. Carter and Doucoure will get more minutes when Johnson is in foul trouble. I liked Doucoure's play last night. He was pretty good on defense and being assertive.

Reactions: Scangg
Surprisingly I was hoping Duke would get more time last night. He was active defensively. One thing that was concerning was SFA on offensive boards. That really needs to change as season progresses or else it could get ugly.

I think Jacob can focus his high energy on playing even better defense. He has a high motor and think that if buys into defense first the offense will come. This is similar to the way that Caleb came along last year.

Reactions: Scangg and MV9000
Give me longer streches with Geo-McConnell-Harper-Yeboah-Myles. Particularly in the last 10 minutes of each half when youre close to bonus territory

Agree with this.

Baker - Should probably see fewer minutes, if possible, and definitely fewer threes until he can get that under control. Averaging 32.4 min and 6.0 attempts and has struggled at times this year.
McConnell - Needs to see the ball more on the wing. Would like to see him taking at least 3 threes per game.
Harper - Wow does he need to improve his FT shooting - if he can get that piece in place, he'll be a 12/6 guy
Yeboah - Needs more minutes and to see the ball more outside the arc. Should also be taking at least 3 threes per game.
Johnson - Needs more minutes from a rebounding and defensive standpoint. Also needs to be stronger to the hoop and better at the line... if he could get 25 min and improve his FT shooting to 65%, he could be a 10/8 guy.

Overall minutes breakdown - actual:
32.4 - Baker
24.8 - Harper
22.2 - Young
21.6 - McConnel
20.8 - Mathis
20.2 - Yeboah
20.2 - Johnson
16.6 - Mulcahy
10.4 - Carter
6.8 - Doucoure
2.8 - Kiss (14 minutes across all 5 games, not just min/g in the 2 he played in)

What I'd like to see:
30 - Baker
25 - Harper
25 - McConnell
25 - Yeboah
25 - Johnson
18 - Mathis
18 - Young
17 - Mulcahy
10 - Carter
5 - Doucoure
2 - Kiss

Last edited:
Yeboah is my favorite player right now. Steve needs to give him more run. Start him.

This starting lineup is probably the best way to ensure McConnell and Mathis get an automatic 8 minutes per game...( 4 to start each half).

We have had lineups where players came off the court, and the drop off was drastic enough, that RU could not sustain defense for 40 minutes.

The minute distribution is pretty good right now, I would not interrupt it, until a strong case is made for one of the sophomores to emerge to a 28 minute a game player. I think Harper is the 1st choice to join Baker and I think Yeboah can easily be the 2nd player right now.

Yeboah is being paced slowly into the lineup as is Young. We have a solid lineup right now much more than this time last year, when we were waiting for the other shoe to drop on when we eventually phased out Issa Thiam and when would Mathis overtake Kiss.

The key is Mulcahy isn't making huge mistakes right now and although he's a little shaky with the ball, he is comfortable handling it. The floater or mid-range shot he eventually finds, would be huge for the lineup. The charge he had in the 2nd half, was avoidable, but a teachable moment, with more development.

Reactions: RUChoppin
This starting lineup is probably the best way to ensure McConnell and Mathis get an automatic 8 minutes per game...( 4 to start each half).

We have had lineups where players came off the court, and the drop off was drastic enough, that RU could not sustain defense for 40 minutes.

The minute distribution is pretty good right now, I would not interrupt it, until a strong case is made for one of the sophomores to emerge to a 28 minute a game player. I think Harper is the 1st choice to join Baker and I think Yeboah can easily be the 2nd player right now.

Yeboah is being paced slowly into the lineup as is Young. We have a solid lineup right now much more than this time last year, when we were waiting for the other shoe to drop on when we eventually phased out Issa Thiam and when would Mathis overtake Kiss.

The key is Mulcahy isn't making huge mistakes right now and although he's a little shaky with the ball, he is comfortable handling it. The floater or mid-range shot he eventually finds, would be huge for the lineup. The charge he had in the 2nd half, was avoidable, but a teachable moment, with more development.
What cant yeboah do? Its really incredible watching him play. Hes deceivingly strong, hes a bull. He cant spot shoot 3’s he can dribble drive dish, he can get to the rim, he has the best mid-range game along with caleb. He needs more minutes.

I like your insights on the games. One thing I noticed about Jacob Young is that we need to set more screens for him to drive and then he can find the open cutters. Really started seeing that last night when Yeboah was setting it up. We don't have a Cassius Winston and he's far from it but i do believe he can take guys one on one with his speed and have nights where he scores a lot of points.

But he doesnt need to dribble into a crowd because he gets sloppy and stuck and he turns the ball over. SET HIM A DAMN SCREEN liked i always wanted them to do for Corey. Young is getting off some of the rust and he's our fasted player on the floor. Needs to perfect his FTs as the Bonnie misses hurt us.

Some different takes:

1) I can't put my finger on it, but Doucoure has looked pretty solid and should get more minutes. Maybe it's assertiveness? He's only gotten a few offensive looks, but I feel like he just makes his presence known on the boards and on defense lately

2) is it just me or do we set poor screens? I feel like opposing guards are able to fight through them easily and we rarely get a screen where it's "shoulder to shoulder." Someone like Young could really benefit from that, if he could drive hard and get a step ahead or split the defense, if they overplay. We're not utilizing his speed enough. It's often just 1v1 drives from him.

3) Think we're too unselfish at times. Think we often get looks where we can just catch and shoot automatically. At least certain people should just have the green light as we often hesitate and then allow the defense to close back in. I.e. A great shooter has 3 feet of space and passes off to a guy with 5 feet. Yea, the second guy has more space, but they're both technically open and I'd rather just have the first guy shoot it, if he's the better shooter.
Watching the game there was very little evidence of screens or ball movement to get open shots against a man to man defense.Instead I saw a offense that was based on the Rutgers player trying to beat the defender off the dribble and really wan't working most of the time.The best example was Harper at the top of the key throwing up a Hail Mary shot that was banked in.A Cory Sanders type play can get shots off the dribble but most players on the team lack that skill set.Its been a long time since I have seen a consistent offense that includes all the fundamentals of ball movement that results in spacing an open shots.Recruiting is the last part of the puzzle where there are shooters on the court.

Watching the game there was very little evidence of screens or ball movement to get open shots against a man to man defense.Instead I saw a offense that was based on the Rutgers player trying to beat the defender off the dribble and really wan't working most of the time.The best example was Harper at the top of the key throwing up a Hail Mary shot that was banked in.A Cory Sanders type play can get shots off the dribble but most players on the team lack that skill set.Its been a long time since I have seen a consistent offense that includes all the fundamentals of ball movement that results in spacing an open shots.Recruiting is the last part of the puzzle where there are shooters on the court.
I sit pretty close so I can hear when we call out offensive plays and it's very very few and far between. We called some floppy action like 2-3 times last night outside of that, there was zero half court offense. It's concerning and an indictment against pike imo

Reactions: BillyC80
I sit pretty close so I can hear when we call out offensive plays and it's very very few and far between. We called some floppy action like 2-3 times last night outside of that, there was zero half court offense. It's concerning and an indictment against pike imo
I am not a fan of our offense either. Think we need a lot more ball movement, specifically from side to side and then attacking off ball reversal and then kicking out if necessary. The ball also seems to stick a lot (specifically with RHJ, Jacob and sometimes Montez (what the hell was he doing on that one shot he just threw up last night). I honestly don't think we know what we are offensively yet so I can only hope it gets better and maybe Pike is only working in some sets and adding more as the season goes on. Against these smaller teams too, we NEED TO GET MYLES THE BALL INSIDE! I've seen hardly any sets to get Myles a post touch and if there is, guys don't look at him . Ridiculous that he isn't touching the ball almost every time down against these teams. We can always get a one on one look late in the shot clock, don't need to do it at the beginning.

Regarding last night; its often hard to run your true stuff agains teams that play d like that (ameoba d and grossly overplaying our wings. Still, you also cannot dribble so much against these teams because thats what they want you to do. We did that way too much in the first half, specifically Gio and Jacob.). Also, when Jacob is at the point and bringing it up, he needs to hit the guy coming off the action right away. I so Yebough come open countless times off pindowns and screens and was open and JY just looks at him and continues dribbling. You need to hit this guy to start the offense even if he's not going to shoot off the action. I think this is a problem along with the lack of offense. Hard to show offense when someone is dribbling around at the top of the key for 10 plus seconds. The offense doesn't start until you make the first pass, but Gio and Jacob don't get the ball to our guys right away to do this. Paul obviously does a much better job because he isn't looking for his shot and knows how to initiate offense.

Ya know, I think Young should be used more like Mike Williams; not relied upon for offense but quick enough to get in there and fight defensively....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT