ADVERTISEMENT

Stephen F. Austin defeated Drexel easily in Texas

SFA's tallest player is 6'7" and they have two other 6'6" guys who work hard on the boards.

We need Myles Johnson to be big in this one.

I haven't participated in any official or unofficial game prediction threads. I will for this game. 2/3 of the predictions will come under the point spread and we will drill them by 20+ and the Rutgers basketball world will once again be rosy.

Reactions: gregkoko
I haven't participated in any official or unofficial game prediction threads. I will for this game. 2/3 of the predictions will come under the point spread and we will drill them by 20+ and the Rutgers basketball world will once again be rosy.

That's on the table IF we take care of the ball.

10 or fewer turnovers = big win
11-15 = forgettable win, doesn't move the needle
16-20 = danger zone
21+ = people furiously googling Pikiell's buyout

turnovers are important YES, but that isn't a primary statistic I will be looking for. You took a ton of time editting clips and sending it in a thread. I'll agree with Scarlet Shack in that defending the 3 point line is primary in my mind. I don't know if I would attach a 3PT FGA goal to that because often times good defensive possessions end with desperation 3 FGA

turnovers are important YES, but that isn't a primary statistic I will be looking for. You took a ton of time editting clips and sending it in a thread. I'll agree with Scarlet Shack in that defending the 3 point line is primary in my mind. I don't know if I would attach a 3PT FGA goal to that because often times good defensive possessions end with desperation 3 FGA

SFA plays a weird system. They turned Drexel over 30 times. So that's why I'm playing closer attention to that in this game than I will be against NJIT.

PS: The editing didn't take that long.

Reactions: Greene Rice FIG

16-20 = danger zone
SFA has two centers, Kensmil is 6'7", 255 LBS. His backup is Daniels, 6'9", 230 LBS.
SFA will run high pressure, overplay defense and are very good at help defense. SFA leads the nation in creating turnovers, 27.5 per game. Rutgers forced Drexel into 12 turnovers, SFA turned over Drexel 31 times. SFA has good depth, with 10-12 players getting minutes.
Prediction is SFA will force 20+ turnovers.
Rutgers will have to shoot well from three and can also take advantage of open baseline looks which are the result of good ball rotation against their overplay defense.
SFA overhauled their roster from a year ago when they lost four of their top 7 players to injury. They have a very good freshman recruiting class with three freshmen getting minutes and also signed four of the top 100 juco players.

Last edited:

16-20 = danger zone
Are you serious with your Pike buyout line?

SFA has two centers, Kensmil is 6'7", 255 LBS. His backup is Daniels, 6'9", 230 LBS.
SFA will run high pressure, overplay defense and are very good at help defense. SFA leads the nation in creating turnovers, 27.5 per game. Rutgers forced Drexel into 12 turnovers, SFA turned over Drexel 31 times. SFA has good depth, with 10-12 players getting minutes.
Prediction is SFA will force 20+ turnovers.
Rutgers will have to shoot well from three and can also take advantage of open baseline looks which are the result of good ball rotation against their overplay defense.
SFA overhauled their roster from a year ago when they lost four of their top 7 players to injury. They have a very good freshman recruiting class with three freshmen getting minutes and also signed four of the top 100 juco players.
Thanks for the roster review. As a program that had great success for 5-6 years before and with Brad Underwood , the Illini coach , who took that team to the Sweet Sixteen, they have been good for a while. Very surprised they had a bad year last year and saw it as more of an aberration. They have been an agressive defensive team for years. Most people on this forum pay more attention to name schools, or cite some Kenpom number , that is primarily based on last year’s team and returning players, to form an opinion whether a team is good or not. SFA is a good team and will probably challenge for the Southland conference title. Another team most people on this site have no clue about is Nichols State, also in the Southland, who took Illinois to Overtime, beat Pittsburgh handily at Pitt, and hung within 10 of ranked LSU this past Saturday. So I think the boys of SFA and the top of your conference are not pushovers and it should be a good game. We have gotten off to a rocky start in our first 4 games and people are ready to jump ship.

I remember in 2017 this type of analysis had me worried that we would lose to Fordham in Fordham. They too turned people over at a high rate. We ended up beating them bad, maybe this is a repeat

Thanks for the roster review. As a program that had great success for 5-6 years before and with Brad Underwood , the Illini coach , who took that team to the Sweet Sixteen, they have been good for a while. Very surprised they had a bad year last year and saw it as more of an aberration. They have been an agressive defensive team for years. Most people on this forum pay more attention to name schools, or cite some Kenpom number , that is primarily based on last year’s team and returning players, to form an opinion whether a team is good or not. SFA is a good team and will probably challenge for the Southland conference title. Another team most people on this site have no clue about is Nichols State, also in the Southland, who took Illinois to Overtime, beat Pittsburgh handily at Pitt, and hung within 10 of ranked LSU this past Saturday. So I think the boys of SFA and the top of your conference are not pushovers and it should be a good game. We have gotten off to a rocky start in our first 4 games and people are ready to jump ship.
I'm Jersey born and bred and live here now, but received my Masters from SFA a long time ago (1993).
What has impressed me most in the early season is that the new talent for SFA has started to come together quickly. The team is long and athletic.
SFA started getting attention under now Texas State head coach Danny Kaspar. Once he left, Brad Underwood had three very successful seasons with a 53-1 conference record, including NCAA tourney wins over VCU and West Virginia. In the 2018 tourney, they took eventual runner-up Texas Tech to the limit, ahead by two with three minutes left before foul trouble caught up with the Jacks.
This team is deeper and as talented as the 2016 squad that beat the Mountaineers.
Good back story, SFA Coach Kyle Keller was an assistant on the Oklahoma State squad whose plane crashed in early 2001. He made a last minute switch and decided to drive to a recruiting stop and gave up his seat to his cousin, Nate Fleming.

I'm Jersey born and bred and live here now, but received my Masters from SFA a long time ago (1993).
What has impressed me most in the early season is that the new talent for SFA has started to come together quickly. The team is long and athletic.
SFA started getting attention under now Texas State head coach Danny Kaspar. Once he left, Brad Underwood had three very successful seasons with a 53-1 conference record, including NCAA tourney wins over VCU and West Virginia. In the 2018 tourney, they took eventual runner-up Texas Tech to the limit, ahead by two with three minutes left before foul trouble caught up with the Jacks.
This team is deeper and as talented as the 2016 squad that beat the Mountaineers.
Good back story, SFA Coach Kyle Keller was an assistant on the Oklahoma State squad whose plane crashed in early 2001. He made a last minute switch and decided to drive to a recruiting stop and gave up his seat to his cousin, Nate Fleming.

Your prediction for Wed night?

Your prediction for Wed night?
I think the Jacks win, 83-75. Knights do not want a fast pace, but the Jacks will force tempo. If the Knights control tempo and shoot fairly well and secure the ball, they'll be in good shape. Remember, Niagara shot 55.6% against SFA and lost by 9 after being down 21 with four minutes left. Drexel shot 50% and still lost by 15. Ball security is the key.

Thanks for the insights. I have been following college basketball for some time now, and more than once have placed a bet on it, so I am fully aware of how good SFA has been. I made a lot of money off that 53-1 conference record. LOL! . Most of the posters on here just decide that if it is not a name they recognize , it must not be good , so how did you lose to them.

Reactions: Proud NJ Sports Fan
I think the Jacks win, 83-75. Knights do not want a fast pace, but the Jacks will force tempo. If the Knights control tempo and shoot fairly well and secure the ball, they'll be in good shape. Remember, Niagara shot 55.6% against SFA and lost by 9 after being down 21 with four minutes left. Drexel shot 50% and still lost by 15. Ball security is the key.

I hope RU wins but I also think SFA is the better team and will win.

I'd put the spread at SFA -3.5

A few posters here gave me grief, but I'm usually right in my predictions.

I make educated opinions.

A team of Lumberjacks from Texas are going to beat us at the RAC?

This would be a bad loss for Pike.

I'm saying that's what the reaction will be if we lose.

I do not expect us to lose, personally.
Your posts the last week, criticizing Pike’s coaching, his recruiting, his offense , his defense , his assistant coaches are way over the top after 4 games. Pike is one of the best coaches we have had on the banks in 40 years.
Now if you want to have an intelligent discussion about why are we not guarding the three point line at historically bad levels, why he is not running a motion offense, or why are we not feeding the ball down low to Myles or Shaq , okay that would be fair. My early thoughts are there is a little disappointment, but trying to see why the slow start. The 11 man rotation has not been mastered yet by Coach and the frequent sub pattern has diffused any rhythm the players have built . But to start lambasting the Coach and talking “hot seat is ridiculous.

Reactions: KnightTerrors
Drexel turned it over 31 times in the game vs SFAU who had 22 themselves. SFA was up 44-23 at half. RU must stop the slow starts they have against weaker competition

SF Austin only beat Niagara by 9 but were up 21 midway through the 2nd half

Your posts the last week, criticizing Pike’s coaching, his recruiting, his offense , his defense , his assistant coaches are way over the top after 4 games. Pike is one of the best coaches we have had on the banks in 40 years.
Now if you want to have an intelligent discussion about why are we not guarding the three point line at historically bad levels, why he is not running a motion offense, or why are we not feeding the ball down low to Myles or Shaq , okay that would be fair. My early thoughts are there is a little disappointment, but trying to see why the slow start. The 11 man rotation has not been mastered yet by Coach and the frequent sub pattern has diffused any rhythm the players have built . But to start lambasting the Coach and talking “hot seat is ridiculous.

It's not a 4-game thing. I've been not as high on Pikiell as much of this board for a while.

But to reiterate, I do not think he should be on the hot seat. Not now and not next year. During the 2021-22 season I think is a fair time to step back and make a judgment on that.

Reactions: bac2therac
It's not a 4-game thing. I've been not as high on Pikiell as much of this board for a while.

But to reiterate, I do not think he should be on the hot seat. Not now and not next year. During the 2021-22 season I think is a fair time to step back and make a judgment on that.
You mean when he has us in the Ncaa’s , you would put him on the hot seat.Lol,

I hope RU wins but I also think SFA is the better team and will win.

I'd put the spread at SFA -3.5

A few posters here gave me grief, but I'm usually right in my predictions.

I make educated opinions.
no your opinions are not educated but rather your hopes for RU losses --yeah 4 and 0 makes you a genius--really shows how dumb you are to think so

Do any of your posts not include personal attacks? You're certainly a cranky, old codger.
this from the ultimate bitching/malcontent immature ass-who attacks everything--get it straight, I respond to dopes that attack me or RU and you are a prime example of some on these boards that finds pleasure in finding everything bad and never anything good about RU

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT