ADVERTISEMENT

STORY — RU Wrestling commit lands P5 football offer

Guess it depends on what either sport would do for his future.
Since I really don't follow wrestling, my question would be what do you do after graduation?

Football P5 offers are full rides with an Added Cost of Attendance Stipend (or something called like that) added in,usually another 3-5,000 /year.

Wrestling usually a partial schollie, except for Superstars.

It would be super hard to be a part time wrestler and be a big contributor. Love this kids upside on the mat and hoping he sticks with wrestling.

Razhon Gross is an example of how hard that is. In the 1970s Heavyweight Lee Getz (Voorhees HS) was a star at RU in both Football and Wrestling.

Reactions: Knight177lb
Josh Hokit from fresno state a two sport star and All American this past season.He was able to compete at a high level.
https://gobulldogs.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=9589

I think this kid will end up playing football with an offer like that.A full ride with a stipend is quite hard to turn down.
If Rutgers Football offers Kyonte a scholarship, dual sports could work. Kyonte would be committed to football throughout the summer and fall. Rutgers Wrestling wouldn't get Kyonte until after football season, but, they wouldn't have to give him any scholarship money either and Kyonte would miss spring football practices each year after his freshman year.

Just a scenario that I think may work best for Rutgers and Kyonte overall, if Rutgers Football wants to give Kyonte a football scholarship.

Ramel Meekins did it, right here at Rutgers. He was an outstanding football player and made it to the NCAA's in wrestling where he went 2-2. I think the kid was ranked as high as 13th in preseason as a heavyweight.

Last edited:
Ramel Meekins did it, right here at Rutgers. He was an outstanding football player and made it to the NCAA's in wrestling where he went 2-2. I think the kid was ranked as high as 13th in preseason as a heavyweight.

It could absolutely work. Meekins actually started off as a walk on the football team.I believe he is still involved with Rutgers athlectics as an academic advisor.

Meekins wanted to do both after he got the scholarship for football but that dickhead Schiano would not let him do both.

He is still a d-bag for doing it as that kid was deprived of being an eventual All American. Hope GS never sets foot back here. That is what I think of him.

There are examples but it would be hard to do.

Hopefully, the kid sticks with RU wrestling.

RUMLAX has lost two kids to P5 football after they committed to lax. Guessing Ash wouldn't be too big of fan of it.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
I don't know how good a football player he is, but he will likely be a top 3-5 ranked Heavyweight recruit his senior year of HS. Right now, he is 3rd ranked among the wrestlers listed at 220/Heavy on Flo's 2021 Big Board (#32 overall).

Of course, this doesn't account for schollie money and I don't know if he has NFL ability, but I would venture an educated guess that he is FAR higher ranked on wrestling potential than football potential.

Yes that is right, he is a d-bag. This kid could have been any kind of heavyweight. Letting him wrestle would not have hurt his football career. He would have wrestled from December to March. If we were in bowl games then January-March. So tell me what he missed by doing both?

Even Schiano even looked for guys who were good wrestlers in high school. What do linemen do from January-March? Lift? They do that in the wrestling season too. It made no sense other than risk of injury wrestling. What Meekins would have gained was hand fighting and agility with his feet.

Yes that is right, he is a d-bag. This kid could have been any kind of heavyweight. Letting him wrestle would not have hurt his football career. He would have wrestled from December to March. If we were in bowl games then January-March. So tell me what he missed by doing both?
Eh, I disagree. Whatever.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Guess it depends on what either sport would do for his future.
Since I really don't follow wrestling, my question would be what do you do after graduation?

Olympics or MMA or Pro Wrestling or become a coach... or .. the same thing most student athletes that don't go pro do, aka MOST of them, start a career in whatever they majored in or something related.

Reactions: ScarletGrapfan
The money and fame is in football.
I would "think" Coach Goodale could talk to whoever is the RU Football Coach in 2 years and get Hamilton a scholarship.
What is he going to play in football?
His size seems like he is in between DL and LB.
I would think we have room for him on RU's football team.

Long way to go before the decision is made. Hopefully he doesn't suffer any injuries playing football.

The money and fame is in football.
I would "think" Coach Goodale could talk to whoever is the RU Football Coach in 2 years and get Hamilton a scholarship.
What is he going to play in football?
His size seems like he is in between DL and LB.
I would think we have room for him on RU's football team.

Long way to go before the decision is made. Hopefully he doesn't suffer any injuries playing football.
Kyonte would be a DL in College Football.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT