ADVERTISEMENT

FB Recruiting TBT: Looking back at Rutgers and Ohio State starters as recruits

It’s up to Schiano to coach these kids up. He’s done it before and can do it again. Go RU!

It’s up to Schiano to coach these kids up. He’s done it before and can do it again. Go RU!
The problem is that schools, like tOSU, that get the pick of the litter in terms of highly rated recruits also have great coaches who coach those kid's up.

Reactions: TM94goRU
Among all the 4 and 5 star recruits playing for tOSU, there's a couple 3 stars including an OT.

So... there's a chance. 😃

Reactions: Knight Shift
Among all the 4 and 5 star recruits playing for tOSU, there's a couple 3 stars including an OT.

So... there's a chance. 😃
The talent gap pretty much tells the story here and it's only going to get worse with our lack of NIL funding. The gap between the haves and have not is only going to widen absent any NIL regulations that are enforceable.

Reactions: colbert17
The talent gap pretty much tells the story here and it's only going to get worse with our lack of NIL funding. The gap between the haves and have not is only going to widen absent any NIL regulations that are enforceable.
I don't think the talent gap between schools like tOSU and RU will change. It's not like we've been stealing away some of their recruits prior to the NIL. If tOSU really wants a recruit, then RU was never who they're competing against for that recruit. It's not like they'd have to buy the recruit to lure him away from us.

Actually, if anything, the NIL gives RU a chance to steal away some tOSU recruits now. Not saying we'll ever exercise that chance and find the NIL funding to do so, or be able to pay more than them.

Just saying that the NIL creates a possibility where there really wasn't one before.

We have the power to change that. And you have no idea what our NIL funding looks like, do you?

Thinking we might be in trouble this game.

They have 5 players that were ranked 1 in their state and 5 ranked 1 at their position overall (not all the same 5).

That is crazy

Pretty much the only way to compete with OSU is to spend $$$ like OSU. RU alumni/boosters are just not up for that support.

We have the power to change that. And you have no idea what our NIL funding looks like, do you?
We do have the power, however considering RU alums and/or local business connections as a whole historically haven't reached deep into their pockets to donate to the university I think it's a safe bet that we currently don't have a NIL war-chest to competitively complete in this area yet. if you know otherwise, please share.

I do know for a fact that it was a factor in the coveted OL committing to A&M.

I don't think the talent gap between schools like tOSU and RU will change. It's not like we've been stealing away some of their recruits prior to the NIL. If tOSU really wants a recruit, then RU was never who they're competing against for that recruit. It's not like they'd have to buy the recruit to lure him away from us.

Actually, if anything, the NIL gives RU a chance to steal away some tOSU recruits now. Not saying we'll ever exercise that chance and find the NIL funding to do so, or be able to pay more than them.

Just saying that the NIL creates a possibility where there really wasn't one before.
On the flip side, we would have had a better chance with the OL that committed to A&M before NIL than after. When's the last time a northern Jersey Non-Public HS stud OL went to A&M?? Sabin wasn't far off in his comments regarding A&M recruiting.

Nor do you.
That's why I don't speculate on it and make uninformed statements such as "our lack of NIL funding." Such statements are dumb to make and can discourage others from contributing.

So, not sure what your point is. And as a matter of fact, there is NIL funding, as a bunch of NIL's were rolled out this week.

On the flip side, we would have had a better chance with the OL that committed to A&M before NIL than after. When's the last time a northern Jersey Non-Public HS stud OL went to A&M?? Sabin wasn't far off in his comments regarding A&M recruiting.
True.

Reactions: Kbee3

This again?
When was the last time the #1 recruit in Kentucky went to Rutgers?
By all reports, NIL helped get Wimsatt to Rutgers and to leave HS early.

Jersey players making other schools great... 🙄
That has been going on since I started watching football in the Sixties. The only improvement I've ever seen in the situation is GS. And he still has a long, long ways to go.
But with him and Big Ten membership.....there's a chance IMO....eventually.

Thinking we might be in trouble this game.

They have 5 players that were ranked 1 in their state and 5 ranked 1 at their position overall (not all the same 5).

That is crazy
Newsflash!!! Rutgers has the #1 players from New Jersey, Kentucky and New York!! But we lack the overall depth of OSU.

We are playing a rigged game.
CFB must have a cap like the pros.
I just finished reading a book about Nick Saban's leadership style. He knew that the one thing you must do better than other teams in CFB to win is recruiting. Recruiting is everything. He gets involved with the top 15 recruits they identify. He did not like NFL where you could not recruit. That's why he bolted from Miami. Alabama has had most first round picks of any school every since he has been the head coach of Alabama. It is an NFL farm team, like OSU. No one can compete against the top 4 or 5 schools. It is simply not possible with all the advantages that they have. And it has been true for a long time now.

So we are not getting out coached, but out recruited year in year out. That can only change with some regulations. If not, CFB is not going to be fun to watch. Note, CFB has become irrelevant in the Northeast. The next region where it may become irrelevant is out west and mid-Atlantic. Football may only be relevant in the south and mid-west.

No one wants to watch OSU beating Rutgers 78 - 0 this Saturday. Only sick OSU fans want to see this kind of a massacre.

What will happen if there are no changes?
Fans will lose interest. Stadiums lose a lot of money when fans don't attend and from those who leave early. That is a lot of money lost. The only remedy is to have competitive games. CFB needs to figure this out instead of Conference realignment.

Newsflash!!! Rutgers has the #1 players from New Jersey, Kentucky and New York!! But we lack the overall depth of OSU.
Seems like you didnt read the article which shows that Rutgers has exactly 0 players with a #1 state designation in the starting lineup. Also, Wimstatt is ranked 3, not 1.

Looking a tad deeper, Ohio State has another 4 players ranked #2 in the state in the starting lineup , whereas we , again, have 0.

But I remain hopeful, just not so much this game, this year.

Reactions: LETSGORU91
Seems like you didnt read the article which shows that Rutgers has exactly 0 players with a #1 state designation in the starting lineup. Also, Wimstatt is ranked 3, not 1.

Looking a tad deeper, Ohio State has another 4 players ranked #2 in the state in the starting lineup , whereas we , again, have 0.

But I remain hopeful, just not so much this game, this year.
You got that right. Life's been busy lately. Thanks for setting my facts straight.

That's why I don't speculate on it and make uninformed statements such as "our lack of NIL funding." Such statements are dumb to make and can discourage others from contributing.

So, not sure what your point is. And as a matter of fact, there is NIL funding, as a bunch of NIL's were rolled out this week.
Where you privy to Schiano's talk to former letterman?

Tyler Friday

tenor.gif

He gets injured last year and now is completely passed over. Here we would have died for his return.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT