ADVERTISEMENT

The ACC Sucks...Coach K “blames” NCAA for sports “rut?

AreYouNUTS

Legend
Gold Member
Aug 1, 2001
WTF??

Pete Thamel (@PeteThamel) Tweeted:
The ACC is trending toward a historically bad season. The entire sport is in a rut. Coach K summed up the lack of NCAA vision and leadership this way: “It’s sad.” https://t.co/WCfOQrp4PP

I really don't understand how parity in college basketball has made the sport "at times, unwatchable." As Pete Thamel put it.

I loved watching Utah State beat LSU on a neutral court and watching Dayton beat Georgia and Va. Tech on a neutral court plus take Kansas to OT before losing by 6. And who, outside of people in Durham, NC didn't absolutely LOVE IT that Stephen F. Austin was able to go there and end Duke's home non-conference winning streak?

Unwatchable? GTFOHWTBS

It really irks me that whenever North Carolina or Duke isn't flat out dominant the narrative becomes "it's a down year for the ACC." As if the conference is only good if those two programs are having great seasons.

:uzi: that.

They said that in the 1994-95 season, when Coach K had back troubles and only coached 12 games, despite the conference having four out of nine programs ranked in the top-13 in the Nation. Then again in the 2001-2002 season because North Carolina finished last. Yet, four ACC teams went to the NCAA Tournament. Two of them were No. 1 seeds and one of them won the national championship. But since none of them was the media's precious North Carolina "it's a down year for the ACC."

They're saying it this year because I guess it isn't sexy to talk about the terrific seasons Louisville and Florida State are having. However, both of those teams have the same 19-3 record as Duke. Louisville, who won at Duke, is 10-1 in the ACC and FSU, who won at Louisville, is 9-2 (Lord please have FSU go into Cameron Indoor Stadium on Monday and beat Duke. That would be a great day in America.)

Maybe, just maybe, the ACC commissioner's office should push harder on the conference as a whole instead of getting in their Ford F-150s (great truck btw), driving to their pre-season meeting at their favorite Waffle House in Greensboro and discussing how they can promote Duke and North Carolina all season.

what a baby...and in addition it seems like top writers and espn are crying because the bluebloods are not dominating and espn is not controlling the narrative on anything...quite frankly I havent even watched any espn analysis on college hoops this year because the analysis on fox and big 10 network is a refreshing change. The ACC has taken a major hit but thats up to Coach K...what ruined the game for them is the one and dones, stop recruiting them. Its a disgrace that a 15 school conference has 4 good schools and mostly trash beyond a couple of mediocre schools

Maybe, just maybe, the ACC commissioner's office should push harder on the conference as a whole instead of getting in their Ford F-150s (great truck btw), driving to their pre-season meeting at their favorite Waffle House in Greensboro and discussing how they can promote Duke and North Carolina all season.

And that's why Maryland made a great move.

Reactions: Scarlet Blind
Wow. What a crybaby?

Maybe you are just a mediocre coach.

I agree FIG, always said he did less with more than about anyone. There was a time he had so much more talent than about anyone else and got knocked out before the Sweet 16 many times. Different now, much more of a balance of talent.

He really does not provide much insight on what he thinks should be done. Other than allowing him to rant I got little out of that.

My dream is for K, Roy and that guy in Syracuse to all retire within days of each other

Actually ...I’ve recently been talking about all of the top end coaches getting at the end of the careers and how if we can get our stuff together while others are in transition

Coach K is the Joe Paterno of college basketball - treated by the press as a choir boy who cares more about academics and his players than other coaches. It is total BS - the guy is as cut throat as they come. Amazing how some of these images stick once they are established.

Coach K is the Joe Paterno of college basketball - treated by the press as a choir boy who cares more about academics and his players than other coaches. It is total BS - the guy is as cut throat as they come. Amazing how some of these images stick once they are established.
The two big differences are: 1) While PSU was an independent, Joe Paterno selected the officials for his games. 2) Joe Paterno knew...

I really don't understand how parity in college basketball has made the sport "at times, unwatchable." As Pete Thamel put it.

I loved watching Utah State beat LSU on a neutral court and watching Dayton beat Georgia and Va. Tech on a neutral court plus take Kansas to OT before losing by 6. And who, outside of people in Durham, NC didn't absolutely LOVE IT that Stephen F. Austin was able to go there and end Duke's home non-conference winning streak?

Unwatchable? GTFOHWTBS

It really irks me that whenever North Carolina or Duke isn't flat out dominant the narrative becomes "it's a down year for the ACC." As if the conference is only good if those two programs are having great seasons.

:uzi: that.

They said that in the 1994-95 season, when Coach K had back troubles and only coached 12 games, despite the conference having four out of nine programs ranked in the top-13 in the Nation. Then again in the 2001-2002 season because North Carolina finished last. Yet, four ACC teams went to the NCAA Tournament. Two of them were No. 1 seeds and one of them won the national championship. But since none of them was the media's precious North Carolina "it's a down year for the ACC."

They're saying it this year because I guess it isn't sexy to talk about the terrific seasons Louisville and Florida State are having. However, both of those teams have the same 19-3 record as Duke. Louisville, who won at Duke, is 10-1 in the ACC and FSU, who won at Louisville, is 9-2 (Lord please have FSU go into Cameron Indoor Stadium on Monday and beat Duke. That would be a great day in America.)

GTFOHWTBS

Love it.

GO RU

Great coach . Not sure why the knocks . And he designed the greatest play in the history of the sport : Hill to Laettner .
I hate duke, but you guys are rough .

I think there is a Notre Dame, Dallas Cowboys type of feel to talking about Duke and UNC...they play this Saturday and normally, ESPN would be ramming that game down our throats with commercials and highlights of the best rivalry in CBB.

Someone asked about why the Super Bowl ratings were up after 4 consecutive drops per year and it was simply fatigue of having to hear about Belicheat, uh, I mean Belicheck/Brady.

There are great stories at Dayton, Gonzaga, SF Austin, and even a smaller scale, Rutgers in our region that matter. But when the ESPN marriage with the SEC and ACC was finalized, this is what you get.

And dirty. He has been good at maintaining distance and deniability. Same for Ol' Roy. Just low down cheaters buying the best talent. Now moaning because they have seemingly been out bid or undone by one n' dones.

It’s a dirty business

Reactions: rufeelinit
Hate they guy all you want but hes one of the best to ever do it..hes said/done things in his old age that makes you shake your head, but..
Rat face?? Christ, what are you 12? I hope you all have beautiful children

In the ACC (especially during basketball season) the pecking order goes:

Teams that matter: North Carolina and Duke

Teams that don't really matter but since they're located in North Carolina we'll pretend that they matter: NC State and Wake Forest

Teams that don't matter: everyone else (unless one of them does well then we'll sort of acknowledge their membership in the conference).

giphy.gif

what a baby...and in addition it seems like top writers and espn are crying because the bluebloods are not dominating and espn is not controlling the narrative on anything...quite frankly I havent even watched any espn analysis on college hoops this year because the analysis on fox and big 10 network is a refreshing change. The ACC has taken a major hit but thats up to Coach K...what ruined the game for them is the one and dones, stop recruiting them. Its a disgrace that a 15 school conference has 4 good schools and mostly trash beyond a couple of mediocre schools

All you need to know is ESPN's Gameday is at 10-12, 13th place UNC this coming Saturday.

It's all about $ and them trying to prop up one of their investments.

It has nothing to do with the NCAA. It's the FBI. A few bagmen arrests and a bit of press and suddenly the powers aren't so powerful anymore. Go figure.

WTF??

The ACC is trending toward a historically bad season. The entire sport is in a rut. Coach K summed up the lack of NCAA vision and leadership this way: “It’s sad.” https://t.co/WCfOQrp4PP

Translation: Other schools are competing hard against us and it's been harder and harder to maintain our historical dominance. It's a shame the NCAA hasn't taken anti-competitive monopolistic action to ensure our continued dominance.

Great coach . Not sure why the knocks . And he designed the greatest play in the history of the sport : Hill to Laettner .
I hate duke, but you guys are rough .
Maybe the most exciting play in college basketball history but hardly a great play.

For the life of me I don't understand why Kentucky didn't put John Pelphrey on the baseline in front of Grant Hill to defend the pass. Hill threw an on-target unobstructed pass to Laettner who hits a turnaround jumper from the free throw line. Excellent execution by those guys.

I asked Pelphrey about that play in 2015. He didn't want to talk about it.

Pitino blew it and cost his team the game.

WTF??

I attended a Catholic High Mass funeral service last Sunday in Portland, OR. The deceased was graduate of West Point: Joe Halloran.

He was recruited by Bobby Knight .. and was a teammate of Coach K.

https://www.westpointaog.org/memorial-article?id=cea30908-3ba7-4665-b057-24aab22d9be8

MO

It has nothing to do with the NCAA. It's the FBI. A few bagmen arrests and a bit of press and suddenly the powers aren't so powerful anymore. Go figure.

Excellent point.

Some people don't like the NCAA because they are mean to student athletes for not letting them get paid.

I think the fact that it took the FBI to even make a dent in the morass that is under-the-table pay-to-play is a much bigger deal. They have forfeited their role of enforcing meaningful rules.

Last edited:
Reactions: RUSK97
Maybe the most exciting play in college basketball history but hardly a great play.

For the life of me I don't understand why Kentucky didn't put John Pelphrey on the baseline in front of Grant Hill to defend the pass. Hill threw an on-target unobstructed pass to Laettner who hits a turnaround jumper from the free throw line. Excellent execution by those guys.

I asked Pelphrey about that play in 2015. He didn't want to talk about it.

Pitino blew it and cost his team the game.

That may have been the greatest game ever played in the ncaa tournament by laettner.
Didn’t make sense not guarding the inbound .
Pike didn’t do it against Iowa either last year and lost on a buzzer beater

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT