ADVERTISEMENT

The Irony of the PAC-12

Knight Shift

Legend
May 19, 2011
Jersey Shore
Washington, USC, Utah and WSU all having strong seasons. Hoping UCLA and USC go the Nebraska route when they join the B1G. Ironic that the conference is going away, largely due to the ineptitude of their leadership, but ESPN had a role, just like in the demise of the Big East.

WSU's head coach nails it here, and calls out ESPN for their role in aiding the PAC-12's demise.

From The Athletic:

9. Oregon looks like a legit Pac-12 title contender, but so do Washington, USC, Utah … and now Washington State. The No. 21 Cougars already had one Top 25 win against Wisconsin. They added a bigger one Saturday, going up 35-14 and ultimately edging No. 14 Oregon State 38-35. QB Cameron Ward has been phenomenal under 28-year-old OC Ben Arbuckle. He finished 28-of-34 for 404 yards, four TDs and no INTs. WR Kyle Williams caught a 63-yard TD on the second play of the game, and Fresno State transfer Josh Kelly went for 159 yards and three TDs.

Washington, USC, Utah and WSU all having strong seasons. Hoping UCLA and USC go the Nebraska route when they join the B1G. Ironic that the conference is going away, largely due to the ineptitude of their leadership, but ESPN had a role, just like in the demise of the Big East.

WSU's head coach nails it here, and calls out ESPN for their role in aiding the PAC-12's demise.

From The Athletic:

9. Oregon looks like a legit Pac-12 title contender, but so do Washington, USC, Utah … and now Washington State. The No. 21 Cougars already had one Top 25 win against Wisconsin. They added a bigger one Saturday, going up 35-14 and ultimately edging No. 14 Oregon State 38-35. QB Cameron Ward has been phenomenal under 28-year-old OC Ben Arbuckle. He finished 28-of-34 for 404 yards, four TDs and no INTs. WR Kyle Williams caught a 63-yard TD on the second play of the game, and Fresno State transfer Josh Kelly went for 159 yards and three TDs.

I didn’t see the clip but supposedly Corso said “no one wants us” bowl rather than “no one watches us bowl”

Actually, from what I’ve read from CFB media, WSU actually outrates on tv all the PAC schools going to the B12. Of course this was pre-Deion.

Like OSU in recent years, Oregon, Washington, USC and UCLA are the type of teams that worry me. Strong productive offenses that are hard to keep pace with isn’t our forte. But Penix and Nix won’t be at their schools next year and quite possibly Williams as well so their offenses may take a step back next year.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
I didn’t see the clip but supposedly Corso said “no one wants us” bowl rather than “no one watches us bowl”

Actually, from what I’ve read from CFB media, WSU actually outrates on tv all the PAC schools going to the B12. Of course this was pre-Deion.

Like OSU in recent years, Oregon, Washington, USC and UCLA are the type of teams that worry me. Strong productive offenses that are hard to keep pace with isn’t our forte. But Penix and Nix won’t be at their schools next year and quite possibly Williams as well so their offenses may take a step back next year.
Those teams have coaches that actually develop productive QBs and generally teach the position. That gives them an advantage over RU at least.

From The Athletic:

he's not wrong and some questions need to be answered

Reactions: NealPageNJ

both wsu and osu are fast and can score quick. these teams would probably toast IU, PU, RU, NW, Iowa, Wisc and give OSU, Mich, PSU great games.

both wsu and osu are fast and can score quick. these teams would probably toast IU, PU, RU, NW, Iowa, Wisc and give OSU, Mich, PSU great games.
I paid more attention to the Oregon State WSU game last night than the OSU ND one lol.

It was a fun game and contrasting styles. WSU liking to throw it around quite a bit and Oregon State more of a ground and pound team, although they threw it a little more too catch up at the end.

Oregon State’s defense no slouch either…ranked in top 10-13 in scoring and total. WSU was able to move the ball on them and Ward was dropping dimes early in that game. 28 yr old OC Arbuckle has done wonders with Ward so far. He was solid last year but he’s looking damn good early this season.

WSU beat Wisc last year and beat them earlier this season too. Oregon St had close 3pt losses to USC and Washington last year but they beat Oregon and they basically had no qb last year. Their qb wasn’t good at all. DJU is still little iffy with TOs but I think an improvement over that. Both seem like worthy teams.

Well no one should take what Corso says seriously at this point. He has some major health issues, is over 80 years old and borderline senile. Similar to Lou Holtz. It is ironic, top to bottom this may be the PAC 12’s strongest year ever. They probably have 5 or 6 legit top 20 teams. They have the best crop of QBs by conf and it isn’t close.

Well no one should take what Corso says seriously at this point. He has some major health issues, is over 80 years old and borderline senile. Similar to Lou Holtz. It is ironic, top to bottom this may be the PAC 12’s strongest year ever. They probably have 5 or 6 legit top 20 teams. They have the best crop of QBs by conf and it isn’t close.
ESPN has gone from a sports network to a collection of talking heads that do nothing but spout hot take bullshit. Most of them can't fall back on senility as an excuse.

I paid more attention to the Oregon State WSU game last night than the OSU ND one lol.

It was a fun game and contrasting styles. WSU liking to throw it around quite a bit and Oregon State more of a ground and pound team, although they threw it a little more too catch up at the end.

Oregon State’s defense no slouch either…ranked in top 10-13 in scoring and total. WSU was able to move the ball on them and Ward was dropping dimes early in that game. 28 yr old OC Arbuckle has done wonders with Ward so far. He was solid last year but he’s looking damn good early this season.

WSU beat Wisc last year and beat them earlier this season too. Oregon St had close 3pt losses to USC and Washington last year but they beat Oregon and they basically had no qb last year. Their qb wasn’t good at all. DJU is still little iffy with TOs but I think an improvement over that. Both seem like worthy teams.
both of those teams can play and they've got some playmakers. They would smoke us I believe

both of those teams can play and they've got some playmakers. They would smoke us I believe
You are freaking idiot with worse hot takes than the ESPN CGD crew. Often turning things around to crap on Rutgers. To boot, you are knuckle-dragging troglodyte who throws around insulting words that went out of style 50 years ago. Be better or get lost.

Hoping the additions of the 4 PAC12 teams forces the B1G to be able to lift the offenses and better prepare for high scoring games. May help in playoffs

ESPN?
Wouldn't Fox and the Big Ten get more blame than ESPN for the demise of the PAC-12?

USC/UCLA and then UW/OU were the nails in the coffin.

ESPN?
Wouldn't Fox and the Big Ten get more blame than ESPN for the demise of the PAC-12?

USC/UCLA and then UW/OU were the nails in the coffin.
it happened years before that. They failed to deal with the time zone difference. They turned down an ESPN deal that was better than any of their teams got initially from the B12 and B10. They have just had really bad commissioners and university leadership for years, happy being very provincial.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Don’t know much about the WSU team but so found that clip of the coach to be pretty impressive.

This is what I was referring to about Ward. What jump in performance he's made so far this year under Arbuckle.

From the article:

Who is playing better than WSU QB Cam Ward?​

Against an Oregon State defense that had been -- by every important metric -- at least a top-two defense in the Pac-12 for the past two seasons, Washington State quarterback Cam Ward turned in a signature performance Saturday night. It wasn't just the yards (404) or the completion percentage (82.4) or deep throws that left a positive impression. It was that under new offensive coordinator Ben Arbuckle, Ward looked in complete control at just about every moment. For a guy that went from zero-star recruit in a run-heavy high school offense to where he is now -- one of just three FBS players (along with Notre Dame's Sam Hartman and USC's Caleb Williams) with at least 13 touchdown passes and no interceptions) -- is a remarkable rise.

Ward was solid last year for the Cougars after transferring from FCS Incarnate Word, but his year-over-year improvement is among the most impressive in college football, and NFL scouts have taken notice. In a conference full of future pro quarterbacks, Ward has still stood out. His production is right there with Washington's Michael Penix Jr. and Williams, perhaps the two Heisman Trophy front-runners. -- Kyle Bonagura

Reactions: Knight Shift
This is what I was referring to about Ward. What jump in performance he's made so far this year under Arbuckle.

From the article:

Who is playing better than WSU QB Cam Ward?​

Against an Oregon State defense that had been -- by every important metric -- at least a top-two defense in the Pac-12 for the past two seasons, Washington State quarterback Cam Ward turned in a signature performance Saturday night. It wasn't just the yards (404) or the completion percentage (82.4) or deep throws that left a positive impression. It was that under new offensive coordinator Ben Arbuckle, Ward looked in complete control at just about every moment. For a guy that went from zero-star recruit in a run-heavy high school offense to where he is now -- one of just three FBS players (along with Notre Dame's Sam Hartman and USC's Caleb Williams) with at least 13 touchdown passes and no interceptions) -- is a remarkable rise.

Ward was solid last year for the Cougars after transferring from FCS Incarnate Word, but his year-over-year improvement is among the most impressive in college football, and NFL scouts have taken notice. In a conference full of future pro quarterbacks, Ward has still stood out. His production is right there with Washington's Michael Penix Jr. and Williams, perhaps the two Heisman Trophy front-runners. -- Kyle Bonagura

can we get him in the portal??? lol

The coaching he's getting at WSU on another level.
Kittley did it with Kappe at WKU before he left for TT.

Then his buddy Arbuckle comes in as WKU OC and replaces Kappe with University of West Florida transfer Austin Reed. Reed was the second highest passer in the country IIRC and threw for like 4500-4700yds. That's why I say, I don't see NIL or portal as a problem. There are players out there who are capable contributors and it's up to coaches to find, identify and develop them.

It's been a spectacular start for Ward. We'll see if he keeps it up as the season progresses.

From The Athletic:

USC and UCLA are not going the way of Nebraska once they join the Big Ten. They have one of the best recruiting bases in the country. USC particularly is going to have endless money for NIL and coaching staff, and they still have a more recent history of mega-success.

I think Washington and UCLA could slip. Those schools still seem more dedicated to academics than athletics, they don't have the killer instinct of USC and Oregon. I don't know if Washington has an NIL group looking to immediately replace Penix Jr. with another blue chip QB they can get from another program. Just doesn't seem like that kind of school to me that starts tampering and doing anything to win. But I could be wrong.

One thing is for certain, I think the PAC 12 is the best conference all around this year. SEC and Big Ten do not have an 8 team punch that the PAC 12 has right now. It is unbelievably sad that the Big 12 is the conference that survives out of all of this. They don't deserve to exist compared to the PAC 12. Look at what the PAC 12 had to sell, they just mismanaged the hell out of it.

USC and UCLA are not going the way of Nebraska once they join the Big Ten. They have one of the best recruiting bases in the country. USC particularly is going to have endless money for NIL and coaching staff, and they still have a more recent history of mega-success.

I think Washington and UCLA could slip. Those schools still seem more dedicated to academics than athletics, they don't have the killer instinct of USC and Oregon. I don't know if Washington has an NIL group looking to immediately replace Penix Jr. with another blue chip QB they can get from another program. Just doesn't seem like that kind of school to me that starts tampering and doing anything to win. But I could be wrong.

One thing is for certain, I think the PAC 12 is the best conference all around this year. SEC and Big Ten do not have an 8 team punch that the PAC 12 has right now. It is unbelievably sad that the Big 12 is the conference that survives out of all of this. They don't deserve to exist compared to the PAC 12. Look at what the PAC 12 had to sell, they just mismanaged the hell out of it.
I don't think they need blue chip replacements. Penix was just a 3 star. Ward/Reed were from way lower levels. Nix was inconsistent at Auburn.

If you can get a Caleb Williams then great but if not these coaches seem to have a pretty good history.

DeBoer had Jake Haener at Fresno and he was 3 star and made it to the NFL. He was a 4000yd passer in DeBoer's last season as HC in Fresno. Will Stein another young OC (33 yrs old) had Frank Harris (3 star) last year at UTSA and he was a 4000yd passer in Stein's year there as OC. Nix is flourishing so far at Oregon now in Stein's first year at OC at Oregon.

For sure, it's hard to replace production like Penix and Nix are having but their coaches seem to have decent track of finding/developing them. That's always what I say I like to see. I want to see the coach be the constant in terms of productivity/success. Faces change and productivity/success keep rolling then it's likely the coach. If a players leave/graduate and there's a drop off then maybe the coach wasn't the reason.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT